+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tech Expansion

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Tech Expansion

I agree whole heartedly with you about the doctoral degrees, Dawg06. Georgia Tech doen't have medical or law schools (Texas Tech does but it's way up there in the panhandle by itself and they probably need them there) and it's still a prestigious school.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

We'll, I think Tech granting "real doctor" degrees is highly unlikely. Graduating high earning professionals seems like a good plan.

Hey, what about a Financial Planning degree ala Texas Tech. There will be a HUGE need for planners as old brokers are retiring.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    We'll, I think Tech granting "real doctor" degrees is highly unlikely. Graduating high earning professionals seems like a good plan.

Hey, what about a Financial Planning degree ala Texas Tech. There will be a HUGE need for planners as old brokers are retiring.
    D06, do you mean "real doctor" degrees or PhDs?

We need a lot more PhDs. I think a big benefit would be more collaboration with high tech industries. We've got some of this already. But we need a lot more.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    D06, do you mean "real doctor" degrees or PhDs?

We need a lot more PhDs. I think a big benefit would be more collaboration with high tech industries. We've got some of this already. But we need a lot more.
    Yes. I'm talking PhDs or equivalent. That's what Tech needs to move up in the world. Professional degrees don't help us meet our ultimate goals (unless we are talking MD or JD, neither of which have a chance of happening).

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

New programs get approved by the State of Louisiana when:
    1. Startup costs are slim to none.
    2. There is workforce demand.
    3. There would be no duplication (unless you are LSU).

Those professional programs mentioned would have astronomical startup costs that our state would in no way approve or fund in the higher ed environment we've been living in for the past decade, and that's not changing in the foreseeable future. Even though there may not be duplication for some of those professional programs in Louisiana, I don't think there is workforce demand for them.

Carnegie Doctoral Universities: Includes institutions that awarded at least 20 research/scholarship doctoral degrees during the update year (this does not include professional practice doctoral-level degrees, such as the JD, MD, PharmD, DPT, etc.).

SREB Four-Year 1: Institutions awarding at least 100 doctoral degrees that are distributed among at least 10 CIP categories (2-digit classification) with no more than 50 percent in any one category.

Louisiana Tech Doctoral Degrees
    1. Doctor of Philosophy in Computational Analysis and Modeling (119999)
    2. Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership (130401)
    3. Doctor of Philosophy in Engineering (140101)
    4. Doctor of Philosophy in Biomedical Engineering (140501)
    5. Doctor of Philosophy in Molecular Science and Nanotechnology (300101)
    6. Doctor of Philosophy in Counseling Psychology (422803)
    7. Doctor of Philosophy in Industrial/Organizational Psychology (422804)
    8. Doctor of Audiology (510202)
    9. Doctor of Business Administration (520201)
    Louisiana Tech Doctoral CIP 2-Digit Classifications
    1. 11
    2. 13
    3. 14
    4. 30
    5. 42
    6. 51
    7. 52
    Optometry and podiatry both have a CIP classification of 51, the same classification as the audiology doctorate Tech already offers.

Tech needs to add 3 doctoral degrees that don't fall under those 7 classifications we already offer.

In the meantime, Tech needs to add undergraduate degrees in aerospace engineering and petroleum engineering.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Do we need to add more programs or graduate more PhDs? I could see specializing in the Engineerings - lots of places have PhD:EE, ME, CE, etc. I think we also need to double down on Materials Science and Nanotech PhDs. The current PhD MSNT isn't fantastic (though still good) and its geared more towards biologists.

Increasing the raw number of PhDs awarded is a function of our ability to attract and cultivate top talent. It feeds back into the reputation of the university and also the surrounding area if those graduates stay and build high-tech companies in Ruston. Not to mention it bumps us up the list in any ranking you pick.

I think AAU membership should be at the top of every list and memo in Wyly. I don't think we'll ever really achieve it but we need to be attacking that goal. To do that we need to significantly increase our research effects. PhDs are a big part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    Do we need to add more programs or graduate more PhDs? I could see specializing in the Engineerings - lots of places have PhD:EE, ME, CE, etc. I think we also need to double down on Materials Science and Nanotech PhDs. The current PhD MSNT isn't fantastic (though still good) and its geared more towards biologists.

Increasing the raw number of PhDs awarded is a function of our ability to attract and cultivate top talent. It feeds back into the reputation of the university and also the surrounding area if those graduates stay and build high-tech companies in Ruston. Not to mention it bumps us up the list in any ranking you pick.

I think AAU membership should be at the top of every list and memo in Wyly. I don't think we'll ever really achieve it but we need to be attacking that goal. To do that we need to significantly increase our research effects. PhDs are a big part of that.
    We need both. We need to at least double our PhDs granted and add at least 3 more doctoral degrees from different CIP categories. But we can't have more than 50% of our doctoral degrees granted in engineering. At commencement Dr. Guice said that Tech granted over 50 doctoral degrees this year, our most ever.

Forget AAU. AAU doesn't have achievement benchmarks to gain admittance. It's just a snobby club.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    We need both. We need to at least double our PhDs granted and add at least 3 more doctoral degrees from different CIP categories. But we can't have more than 50% of our doctoral degrees granted in engineering. At commencement Dr. Guice said that Tech granted over 50 doctoral degrees this year, our most ever.

Forget AAU. AAU doesn't have achievement benchmarks to gain admittance. It's just a snobby club.
    Fantastic! Keep climbing.

But if you're gonna be in a snobby club, thats the one to be in

I really will keep harping on local high tech companies. That is absolutely key imo. I think we're on the right path.

It looks like these are our options of CIP classifications to add PhDs to count toward improving our SREB classification.

15 Engineering Technologies and Engineering-Related Fields (Nanotechnology?)
    26 Biological and Biomedical Sciences (Biotechnology?)
    27 Mathematics and Statistics (Applied Mathematics?)
    40 Physical Sciences (Materials Sciences?)
    45 Social Sciences (Economics?)

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    It looks like these are our options of CIP classifications to add PhDs to count toward improving our SREB classification.

15 Engineering Technologies and Engineering-Related Fields (Nanotechnology?)
    26 Biological and Biomedical Sciences (Biotechnology?)
    27 Mathematics and Statistics (Applied Mathematics?)
    40 Physical Sciences (Materials Sciences?)
    45 Social Sciences (Economics?)
    This sounds like a great wish list. I'd vote for these.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I know it's not all about finding jobs, but, in 2014, 10-year projected job growth for podiatry was 14%, optometry was 27%, and financial planning was 30%. In contrast, 5.1% of PhD's in engineering had academic jobs lined up at the time of graduation (2011). It's slightly better for physical sciences at 9.1%. Overall, less than 20% of PhD's in ALL FIELDS land academic positions. Sure, there are other things you can do with a PhD, but it seems odd that our funding and prestige numbers are tied to metrics that don't seem supported by the market.

Feels a lot like a bubble that's getting ready to burst.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post

Feels a lot like a bubble that's getting ready to burst.
    Yep.

Unfortunately Louisiana can't keep college grads in state much less high school grads who have no other sources for career training.

The demographics are different up there, but this is the way it should be done in every state...

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/22/o...hope.html?_r=1

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

The problem when I graduated was that almost all of the jobs for chemical engineers were around New Orleans/Baton Rouge or Lake Charles unless you wanted to work in the stinking paper mills. I did not want to work in any of those places. My brother took a computer type for a geophysical job in Shreveport, but he knew the location was temporary and was transferred to Houston within six months. I know at least half of my chemical engineering 1969 classmates took jobs in Texas.

Big Dog counselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of light

podiatrists have an extremely difficult curriculum that is as long as medical school. they are not physicians, but definitely upper case doctors.

+ Reply to Thread