+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Gannett "beat writer" for Tech/Grambling/HS

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: New Gannett "beat writer" for Tech/Grambling/HS

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    I don't believe that Tech has a long, long history of extended success. Way back in the 70s we had great teams for the division we were in. In the 90s we had a couple of good seasons including beating Alabama twice (but losing to an actual underdog USC). After winning the WAC we bombed for a few years to have one good fair year (8-4) under DD and two good years under Dykes. So now we have three bowl wins in a row (but that's not a long, long history). We have a history of ups and downs and right now we are doing well so we should be the best G5 team in the state. But if we lose HCSH we might plummet again for a couple of years. Our all time record according to Wikipedia (updated?) is 604 wins versus 451 losses. Thats only a 57 % winning record. But let's keep on improving.
    Compared to those other 3 schools, our down years would be considered successes for them.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    I don't believe that Tech has a long, long history of extended success. Way back in the 70s we had great teams for the division we were in. In the 90s we had a couple of good seasons including beating Alabama twice (but losing to an actual underdog USC). After winning the WAC we bombed for a few years to have one good fair year (8-4) under DD and two good years under Dykes. So now we have three bowl wins in a row (but that's not a long, long history). We have a history of ups and downs and right now we are doing well so we should be the best G5 team in the state. But if we lose HCSH we might plummet again for a couple of years. Our all time record according to Wikipedia (updated?) is 604 wins versus 451 losses. Thats only a 57 % winning record. But let's keep on improving.
    We were in the 1AA Championship Game in the '80s (1984?). I think we have won 25 conference championships in FB. We were in 2 bowl games our first time in the highest college football division. I think we have an overall winning record since returning to what is now the FBS. That is pretty good, especially considering we had to start as an independent. It was a lot tougher to become D1A when Tech did as opposed to becoming FBS today.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

57% is fine. 73% is about the highest and 24% the lowest. Much variation in the amount of games played. Some higher percentages havent been around as long.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

By my count we are 174-192 since returning to IA in 1988. There were quite a few down years under JR Peace (six losing seasons) and JBIII (four losing seasons) and two out of three with DD. My argument is that until recently we have pretty much been mediocre. Everyone remembers the golden years in the 70s but our record pretty much follows my experience while in school - two winning seasons and two losing seasons including a one win year). Now from 1940 until 1966 (Joe Aillet) we only had four losing seasons.

Now we are head and shoulders over the other G5 schools, but it hasn't always been that way.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    Here's some "publicity" for ya:

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2017/...sun-belt-c-usa

At least, there's a poll attached.
    Tanner Spearman had a good article. Cyrus Smith did not.

Big Dog sharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nicesharky is just really nice

The NewsStar now has a self imposed deadline of 7PM. Therefore any athletic event that ends after that time will not be covered in the printed edition the following day. So does it really matter how or who covers Tech? If you are counting on print instead of digital you will get stale news most of the time. If you prefer digital coverage there are other choices.

I personally got fed up with The NewsStar and its owner Gannett about this and most everything about their USA Today philosophy. I cancelled my subscription after 17 years. For all of my adult life I have always had a daily paper delivered to my house wherever I have lived--no more. I refuse to financially support their current incompetence and liberal political bias.

I hope that enough other readers do likewise and perhaps we can force a change for the better.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    The NewsStar now has a self imposed deadline of 7PM. Therefore any athletic event that ends after that time will not be covered in the printed edition the following day. So does it really matter how or who covers Tech? If you are counting on print instead of digital you will get stale news most of the time. If you prefer digital coverage there are other choices.

I personally got fed up with The NewsStar and its owner Gannett about this and most everything about their USA Today philosophy. I cancelled my subscription after 17 years. For all of my adult life I have always had a daily paper delivered to my house wherever I have lived--no more. I refuse to financially support their current incompetence and liberal political bias.

I hope that enough other readers do likewise and perhaps we can force a change for the better.
    Great post! Our President and AD need to follow this model as well. We are NOT obligated to do business with these people.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post

Thanks for the reminder. The early deadline has been going on for about a year now.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Big Dog counselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of light

Just think. This fall we won't be able to wake up and read about the Friday night high school football games on Saturday, the Saturday night college football games on Sunday morning. I don't believe their will be full length stories on line about the big games or recaps on the less important games.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by counselingdawg View Post
    Just think. This fall we won't be able to wake up and read about the Friday night high school football games on Saturday, the Saturday night college football games on Sunday morning. I don't believe their will be full length stories on line about the big games or recaps on the less important games.
    FWIW, TNS has not reported on area high school teams (outside of WM or Neville) in the Saturday dead tree addition in many years. They do a horrible job of high school coverage in the online edition. Sunday coverage of local college football has not been consistent in years either. Bottom line: TNS and Gannett in general is made up of lazy liberals who are horrible business peeps.

At 5:50am this morning (Thursday) TNS has still not updated the E-Newspaper from Wednesday. Will my $10 annual subscription ever run out?

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    At 5:50am this morning (Thursday) TNS has still not updated the E-Newspaper from Wednesday. Will my $10 annual subscription ever run out?
    Probably not. I have never paid for the Times on line edition. Every now and then I get a reminder that the free subscripton will expire. Just like an old fart I really only look at the front page and read the obits. Reading the obits doesn't seem to count toward the number of free stories.

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Probably not, they will either auto-bill or send an invoice when it lapses.

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

Not impressed by our new News Star beat writer's initial articles.

"Although the media sees a rematch for the conference championship, picking Louisiana Tech to win the West division and WKU to take the East, the three new coaching hires in Kiffin, Butch Davis at FIU and Mike Sanford with the Hilltoppers provides the upcoming season a lot of intrigue and all the collective strength for the deepest conference battle royale.

A certain perception follows programs that compete on the Group of Five level in college football. But athletic directors around Conference USA have made it known to the rest of the country that it’s as serious as ever to win."

Just seems unpolished.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THEarmada View Post
    Not impressed by our new News Star beat writer's initial articles.

"Although the media sees a rematch for the conference championship, picking Louisiana Tech to win the West division and WKU to take the East, the three new coaching hires in Kiffin, Butch Davis at FIU and Mike Sanford with the Hilltoppers provides the upcoming season a lot of intrigue and all the collective strength for the deepest conference battle royale.

A certain perception follows programs that compete on the Group of Five level in college football. But athletic directors around Conference USA have made it known to the rest of the country that it’s as serious as ever to win."

Just seems unpolished.
    He is unpolished. He just graduated from college. When I look back on some of my early writing, I just cringe. Thankfully, I had some good mentors to help bring me along. That's critical. Unfortunately in Gannett world these days, those mentors are long gone. It's become sink or swim. Hopefully, Cory can swim.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

+ Reply to Thread