+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trent Taylor draws positive reviews for spring performance

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Trent Taylor draws positive reviews for spring performance

The 49ers rookie class generally seems to have gotten solid praise for what they've shown since joining the team around a month and a half ago, one of whom is wide receiver Trent Taylor, who is among the dozen players at his position battling for a spot on the depth chart.Taylor, who was a fifth-round pick out of Louisiana Tech, came to the 49ers after a very productive college career (327 catches, 4,179 yards, 32 TD) and has shown so far how he was able to put up those numbers in college.
    "He had a drop in Wednesday's practice," wrote Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee on Thursday. "That's only notable because he was so sure-handed for the rest of the spring. Taylor was exactly as advertised -- very good at shaking free of coverage with a quick, up-field step as soon as the ball arrived. He's behind Jeremy Kerley at slot receiver right now, but he may end up being the team's best punt returner."
    49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan says Taylor has had some ups and downs but overall has left a positive impression.
    "Trent is a competitive guy. He gets after it," Shanahan said this week, per 49ers.com. "He's very good at separating. Like all of the rookies right now, everything has been thrown at him. He's had some really good days and he’s had some days where he's been off. I'm really excited about Trent. I'm excited for him to soak all of this in, get away for a little bit and I think he'll come back to training camp and get some good competition out there."
    Taylor isn't a big receiver at 5-8, 181, which is something quarterback Brian Hoyer has had to work around this spring. But Hoyer too seems to like what he has seen from Taylor this spring.
    "I think when you talk about man-to-man coverage, he’s a guy that, if it is man-to-man, he's probably going to win," Hoyer said. "It just depends on the route that you give him and does the defender have help somewhere. A lot of times, when we talk about man coverage, these guys, they play outside leverage or inside leverage based on where their help is. Sometimes when it's a man pressure and you know that he’s got a two-way go, he is pretty much going to win.
    "The hard part is sometimes with those little guys you can't always see them. Maybe you see like the top of their helmet or something. It's similar to when I played with Andrew Hawkins in Cleveland, a guy who would kill anybody in one-on-ones if you got him in man coverage, but the hard part is sometimes you’ve got to find a lane to throw to him."
    Taylor will be a player to watch come training camp, not just to see where he winds up on the depth chart at receiver but what kind of impact he has on special teams. So far it seems like he has a good shot at making his mark in both areas.
    "I think, if you watch him just practice, you can tell why he had the success that he had in college, there's no doubt,” Hoyer said.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Trent Taylor draws positive reviews for spring performance

Lol at Hoyer saying "The hard part is sometimes with those little guys you can't always see them."

I think that is Hoyer admitting his problem not Trents.

Hey Brian, Tom has no problem seeing short receivers. Just saying.

+ Reply to Thread