+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cubs Scout Sam Hughes featured

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

LaTech Cubs Scout Sam Hughes featured

Teddy Allen put us onto a link this morning featuring former Tech QB and current Chicago Cubs National Scouting Crosschecker Sam Hughes. Forgive the only link to the video I've got is to Facebook. However, here's the link:

"Years before a major leaguer steps into The Show, somewhere a scout visited him in a small town not many have heard of and started a relationship that goes beyond his stat lines. Get an in-depth look at that process from start to finish.":

https://www.facebook.com/Cubs/videos/10155156997080659/
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Re: Cubs Scout Sam Hughes featured

Man, this had nothing to do with what I thought...

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

I can't help illiterates if the headline is correctly spelled . . . Thanks for immediately taking away from a good story. ;-)

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    I can't help illiterates if the headline is correctly spelled . . . Thanks for immediately taking away from a good story. ;-)

Anytime...

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

That is exactly what I thought - but I did just get back from Webelos camp
    Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    Man, this had nothing to do with what I thought...

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

There are Cubs scouts and there are Cub Scouts. Thanks for the link T-Mo. I remember Sam's dad was involved with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays when they were just getting started.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    There are Cubs scouts and there are Cub Scouts. Thanks for the link T-Mo. I remember Sam's dad was involved with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays when they were just getting started.
    Yes, I didn't know his dad was a baseball scout. That explains why Sam got into it.
    Last edited by Dawgpix; 06-19-2017 at 03:44 PM.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Great story T-Mo. Thanks for posting.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWS8uan6h38

Sam Hughes' first touchdown pass of 1990. Go to the 8:00 mark.

Bulldog DiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to all DiamondDawg36's Avatar

Sam played a couple of years with us at Tech on the baseball team. Believe it or not he was a catcher. His dad was with the Montreal Expos for many years and in '92 the first draft for the expansion Florida Marlins, his dad was the scouting director. He signed one guy off our team that year as a free agent but did not draft anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Yes, I didn't know his dad was a baseball scout. That explains why Sam got into it.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDawg36 View Post
    Sam played a couple of years with us at Tech on the baseball team. Believe it or not he was a catcher. His dad was with the Montreal Expos for many years and in '92 the first draft for the expansion Florida Marlins, his dad was the scouting director. He signed one guy off our team that year as a free agent but did not draft anyone.
    Scout's honor?

Bulldog DiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to all DiamondDawg36's Avatar

To the best of my memory, been a few years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Scout's honor?

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDawg36 View Post
    OK, My memory told me D Rays, but I guess it was Marlins.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    OK, My memory told me D Rays, but I guess it was Marlins.
    He may of went with the Rays after the Marlins, I can not remember where he went after the Marlins.

Hughes graduated from San Jose State University.[1] He served as the baseball coach at Marin Catholic High School from 1964 through 1972.[2] He then became a part-time scout, working in Northern California for the San Francisco Giants, Seattle Mariners, and New York Mets, before he was hired on a full-time basis by the New York Yankees.[1] Hughes became the scouting director for the Montreal Expos, and the assistant general manager and scouting director for the Florida Marlins, starting at the organization's inception in 1991. After working briefly for the Colorado Rockies and Cincinnati Reds, Hughes worked for the Chicago Cubs from 2002 through 2011 as the special assistant to the general manager.[1][3] The Red Sox hired Hughes in 2012 as a scout.

+ Reply to Thread