+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Battle of the Bulldogs Sept. 9 at The Joe

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Battle of the Bulldogs Sept. 9 at The Joe

Quote Originally Posted by stodgdog View Post
    And still almost won the game. If memory serves we lost on a final play FG following an interception. NWSt tied the game shortly before after a Tech fumble when the RB was fighting for extra yardage after gaining the first down. Is that correct?
    Yes, correct. All happened just before we celebrated the loss with a poorly negotiated fireworks display.

Varsity Bulldog techdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud of techdawg28's Avatar

I know that after NSU tied the game the next play from scrimmage was an interception. Then of course the field goal as time expired.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I think we had 7 turnovers against Michigan State...maybe more...and still won that game, 20-19, on the road.

But, yeah, that NWST game was the perfect storm. It's not just turnovers, but what they are and when they occur. If you throw a long bomb on 3rd and 10 and it gets intercepted 40+ yards downfield, it's a turnover, yes, but just as good as a punt. We had "killer" turnovers that night. And their FG kicker was a perfect 3 for 3, all over 40 yards, and finished that year something like 9 of 30, and was lousy beyond 40 yds....except that night.

While all of that is true, it's not the only reason we lost. Fact is, the Demons played well, and we were, at best, mediocre. Our defense could not make a play in the 2nd half, and especially in the 4th Qtr.

That was three years ago. This year everything is new. I can tell you, Demon Nation likes its chances. They think they can (will?) win this game straight up, by being the better team. And don't tell me it can't happen. We beat Bama in 1997 and then returned in 1999 for rematch. They circled our game as a revenge game for them. They were SEC Champs in 1999. We beat 'em again, nonetheless.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Per the official game summary 3 of our 5 giveaways to NSU were in the 4th Qtr. They were-
    a devastating fumbled punt by young Trent Taylor at the Tech 35 that led to an NSU TD and got them back in the game (Tech 20-17),
    then a Kenneth Dixon fumble at the Tech 35 that led to another NSU TD (Tech 27- 24),
    then a Cody Sokol INT at midfield that gave them the 3 point win.

Three 4th quarter giveaways on our end of the field led to 17 4th quarter points for our inferior opponent.

After that the team went 7-3 the rest of the way, lost the CUSA Championship at Marshall by 3 points, then hammered Illinois in the HOD Bowl.

Champ Bearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Per the official game summary 3 of our 5 giveaways to NSU were in the 4th Qtr. They were-
    a devastating fumbled punt by young Trent Taylor at the Tech 35 that led to an NSU TD and got them back in the game (Tech 20-17),
    then a Kenneth Dixon fumble at the Tech 35 that led to another NSU TD (Tech 27- 24),
    then a Cody Sokol INT at midfield that gave them the 3 point win.

Three 4th quarter giveaways on our end of the field led to 17 4th quarter points for our inferior opponent.

After that the team went 7-3 the rest of the way, lost the CUSA Championship at Marshall by 3 points, then hammered Illinois in the HOD Bowl.
    The major flaw of our team in 2014, at least to me, was that our offense was high dependent upon the big play. We were not great at slowly grinding out yards (which is what allowed NSU, ODU, and Marshall to come back, as we couldn't effectively eat up clock). I felt we were greatly improved in that category last year.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Last time Miss State played in Ruston their fans didn't travel very well. I also had a few that we invited into our tailgate that were thoroughly amzed by our great tailgates and such. I wouldn't worry too much about the cowbells.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    Last time Miss State played in Ruston their fans didn't travel very well. I also had a few that we invited into our tailgate that were thoroughly amzed by our great tailgates and such. I wouldn't worry too much about the cowbells.
    Are State fans allowed to ring their cowbells in SEC venues other than Starkville? I work with many State grads and will handle the game result with dignity and class. I do remember when we played and won at Starkville when Sherrill was their coach and I think Tech had the "Oak Grove Trio" as some of our better players. Game week I endured many "we are going to kick ya'lls butt" and variations of same, to which I politely responded that you folks may be surprised. I attended the game and if I remember correctly, State's final 2 TDs were in quick succession and after the game had been decided. The next week there was no talk about the game from these folks, i.e., good game by your team and the like. I never mentioned the game either except to other Tech, Ole Miss, or USM fans I worked with at the time.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    The hurricane bearing down on New Orleans that weekend had a lot to do with that. Many State fans and our fans, as well, stayed home and gave up their hotel rooms to evacuees.

Varsity Bulldog techdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud oftechdawg28 has much to be proud of techdawg28's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    The hurricane bearing down on New Orleans that weekend had a lot to do with that. Many State fans and our fans, as well, stayed home and gave up their hotel rooms to evacuees.
    Now, I wasn't there so I don't know what the crowd looked like, but y'all are making it sound like the crowd was small. According to Wikipedia the crowd was 25,224, which is the 7th best crowd in the Joe's history by my count. It was also almost 5000 more people than the next largest crowd that year, homecoming vs Fresno State.

Considering how much larger our typical crowds are nowadays (our game against Idaho that year only had 12,400), we should have a packed house for this game! I feel like NSU and MSST should be sell outs or close to it. If we win some games, we could see great crowds all year! Southern Miss travels well so another great crowd should be on hand for that one, at the least.

Champ BoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud ofBoutThemDawgs has much to be proud of BoutThemDawgs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech52 View Post
    They allowed a man with a Trombone into the stadium during the Southern game. They aren't going to keep out a bell.
    Ugh my ears still hurt from that game, Southern's band was awful imo, just loud and noisy, and that guy wasn't to far from me so i had the "plesantness" in my ears to.

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techdawg28 View Post
    I know that after NSU tied the game the next play from scrimmage was an interception. Then of course the field goal as time expired.
    I knew we were in trouble berofe the game started!!! The Demons came onto the field, were jumping up and down, and were really fired up. The TECH players came onto the field and walked around as if it was another day at the office. The Demons had the "eye of the tiger" and I could see they wanted to win. I turned to my brother, and said...OH NO!!

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 70TECHGRAD View Post
    I knew we were in trouble berofe the game started!!! The Demons came onto the field, were jumping up and down, and were really fired up. The TECH players came onto the field and walked around as if it was another day at the office. The Demons had the "eye of the tiger" and I could see they wanted to win. I turned to my brother, and said...OH NO!!
    This seems to happen a lot.

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

We seem to be "big chillin" before games--unfocused at times. Besides key starters, it's like the other guys either don't expect to play or expect it to matter

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dixonfor6 View Post
    We seem to be "big chillin" before games--unfocused at times. Besides key starters, it's like the other guys either don't expect to play or expect it to matter
    All that matters to Holtz is getting into (not winning) the championship game, and getting into a bowl. If the game we're playing doesn't advance us towards one of those goals, it's irrelevant how we play, to him. I remember his comments after the MSU game, saying "this game doesn't really matter anyway." Or something to that effect. At USM, we'd already locked the championship game up, so no need to strain ourselves on a "meaningless" game.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

LA Tech needs to break its early season curse, and make sure we don't start this season off 1-4, or 2-3. We've done that far too often in our last 20-year history.

YEAR Record over 1st 5 games:
    2016 2-3
    2015 3-2
    2014 2-3
    2013 1-4
    2012 5-0
    2011 1-4
    2010 1-4
    2009 2-3
    2008 2-3
    2007 1-4
    2006 1-4
    2005 2-3
    2004 3-2
    2003 2-3
    2002 2-3
    2001 3-2
    2000 1-4
    1999 3-2
    1998 1-4
    1997 4-1
    1st 5-game Record = 42-58 (over 20 years)

It's a wonder that LA Tech can draw any fans at all to JAS with a average starting season record of 2 wins and 3 losses each year. Imagine how much more interested north Louisiana fans would be in LA Tech football if we could start off 4-1 or 5-0 every year....Simply put, LA Tech has got to quit digging itself a hole early each season. Yes, we've been slightly better the last 5 years, but 2-3 just doesn't cut it.

The message here is, the FIRST 5 GAMES COUNT TOO! If we can start winning more of our first 5 games than we lose, I believe we'll draw bigger crowds at home, and likely finish some seasons with double digit (10+) wins.
    Last edited by HogDawg; 07-09-2017 at 10:06 PM.

+ Reply to Thread