+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Got a guy

Champ Bearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Got a guy

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Don't blame me. It's a big man's game. That's why the NFL is loaded with LB's that are bigger than what you guys are talking about here.
    Don't tell Trent Taylor that

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaDawg View Post
    Hey all: I'm coaching up here in Canada. Got a 19 year old stud LB/SS I want to introduce to coaches. He's from TN, 5'11", 215, absolute tacking machine with an edge. Just ran a laser timed 4.55 today. He'd play right now at Tech, at the very a special team demon at first. How can I give the heads up?
    Please get his tape to our coaching staff. Thanks for mentioning this young man.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Please get his tape to our coaching staff. Thanks for mentioning this young man.
    Thanks for the attempted "rerail."
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    Has he already graduated or will he be a senior this year? I've always got a reply from Tim Rattay on recruits that I emailed him about, so, I'd try him first. Sounds like a good player. Has he ever played RB? Do you have any video?
    plus we have had a lot of success with "little guys" at Tech. Put some weight on and find a position for him....

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Hey all: I'm coaching up here in Canada. Got a 19 year old stud LB/SS I want to introduce to coaches. He's from TN, 5'11", 215, absolute tacking machine with an edge. Just ran a laser timed 4.55 today. He'd play right now at Tech, at the very a special team demon at first. How can I give the heads up?

Welcome to BBB== you just want to notify coaches that you coach a quality athlete to them and most of the posts don't help you ...good luck contacting a coach. Our trainers do a fabulous job of adding weight and muscle to a young man--doubt he will be 215 in 2-3 yrs . The speed will be important in CUSA -- our dbacks are challenged big time in conference games--

Has he already graduated or will he be a senior this year? I've always got a reply from Tim Rattay on recruits that I emailed him about, so, I'd try him first. Sounds like a good player. Has he ever played RB? Do you have any video?
    thanks for showing CanadaDawg the respect he deserves -- I am pretty sure he's been told the why not's by many folks--assume he has Tech relationship

Bulldog DD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her game

That's really an optimum size for HS lb's. He can add 15-25 pounds and be an ideal LB for Tech. Thanks for sharing up there!!

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    Welcome.

Champ Built4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond repute Built4Speed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    +1. So he's not the biggest LB ever. Or on the team. If he can llay, give him a look and if it seems like a good fit, take him in. Not like we couldn't use a little help at LB.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xuXPUGJGuU

Sam Mills is 5'9" and was an all-pro LB in the NFL.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's.....

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

This is an interesting thread because it shows the difference between where the game is now and where it was just 5 or 10 years ago. It also shows the general perception of college football by most fans and how that's diverged from today's game.

I'm guilty of it just like everybody's else. I grew up with the Dome Patrol as the typical type of star LB. It's just not the case anymore.

Nick Saban pointed that out at SEC media days last week. Gone are the days of the Ronnie Lott or Sammy Knight type of safety in college football. Those guys just don't have the speed to cover wide receivers in today's game. The safeties in today's game are all smaller and faster. They have to be.

The linebacker position has changed as well. You have guys in the NFL now trying to lose weight and pick up speed. Duke Riley and Deion Jones of LSU have both been second round draft picks in the past 2 drafts. Riley played almost his entire career at LSU at under 220 pounds. Jones played almost his entire college career at under 210 pounds. And he's now one of the top 5 LBs in the NFL. The Redskins are bringing Nico Marley from Tulane into camp after he was impressive in a rookie minicamp. He's 5-8 and 200 pounds, but he has unbelievable lateral speed.

This player that CanadaDawg wants to refer to our coaching staff really doesn't need to bulk up at all. Nor does any LB coming into the Tech program that already weighs 215 to 220. That type of player needs to add speed. Lots of speed.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Some of you guys are a piece of work.

For you guys pushing the "new, smaller, faster LB" narrative, do you really think this info is not available for immediate viewing? I mean, seriously......LSU has 18 LB's on their 2017 roster, and not a single one is under 6'1.

LSU's 2017 LB's:

4 K'Lavon Chaisson LB 6-5 230 Fr. HS Houston, Texas (North Shore HS)
    6 Jacob Phillips LB 6-3 235 Fr. HS Nashville, Tenn. (East Nashville Magnet HS)
    8 Patrick Queen LB 6-2 215 Fr. HS Livonia, La. (Livonia HS)
    23 Corey Thompson LB 6-2 222 Sr. 3L Missouri City, Texas (Lawrence Elkins HS)
    24 Tyler Taylor LB 6-3 234 Fr. HS Buford, Ga. (Lanier HS)
    35 Devin Voorhies LB 6-2 223 Sr. 3L Woodville, Miss. (Wilkinson County HS)
    40 Devin White LB 6-1 255 So. 1L Springhill, La. (North Webster HS)
    43 Ray Thornton LB 6-3 222 Fr. RS Killeen, Texas (Shoemaker HS)
    45 Michael Divinity Jr. LB 6-2 234 So. 1L Marrero, La. (John Ehret HS)
    47 Chance Barney LB 6-1 220 Jr. TR Covington, La. (Stephen F. Austin) (Covington HS)
    48 Donnie Alexander LB 6-1 212 Sr. 3L New Orleans, La. (Edna Karr HS)
    49 Arden Key LB 6-6 238 Jr. 2L Atlanta, Ga. (Hapeville Charter Academy)
    50 Layton Garnett LB 6-4 247 Fr. RS West Monroe, La. (West Monroe HS)
    51 Jonathan Rucker LB 6-1 249 Sr. 2L Ponchatoula, La. (Ponchatoula HS)
    55 Kody Hall LB 6-1 244 So. JC Nacogdoches, Texas (Blinn CC) (Burnet HS)
    56 M.J. Patterson LB 6-4 225 Sr. SQ Winnfield, La. (Winnfield HS)
    58 Vondero Weir LB 6-2 248 Fr. RS Baton Rouge, La. (University HS)
    87 Sci Martin LB 6-4 240 So. 1L New Orleans, La. (McDonogh 35 HS)

Texas A&M's results are similar.

Texas A&M's 2017 LB's:

16 Dwaine Thomas LB 6-2 225 Jr. 2L Boutte, La. / Hahnville
    19 Anthony Hines III LB 6-3 220 Fr. HS Plano, Texas / Plano East
    25 Tyrel Dodson LB 6-2 242 So. 1L Franklin, Tenn. / Centennial
    32 Santino Marchiol LB 6-1 224 Fr. HS Centennial, Colo. / IMG Academy (Fla.)
    35 Riley Garner LB 6-3 220 Jr. 2L College Station, Texas / A&M Consolidated
    42 Otaro Alaka LB 6-3 240 Jr. 2L Houston, Texas / Cypress Falls
    45 Cullen Gillaspia LB 6-2 234 Jr. 1L Katy, Texas / Taylor
    49 Dirk Sanford LB 6-1 210 So. RS The Woodlands, Texas / The Woodlands Christian Academy
    50 Mac Labhart LB 6-0 230 Jr. SQ Dallas, Texas / St. Mark's
    56 Keeath Magee II LB 6-0 215 Fr. RS Houston, Texas / Westfield
    58 Braden White LB 5-11 220 Fr. RS Florence, Ala. / Florence

I could pull up more examples of why some of you guys are just wrong, but I'm not going to. I learned a long time ago that most of you won't learn from it anyway.

SEC Monsters: Alabama's Linebackers

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...ma-linebackers

Just so we're clear, nobody --especially me-- is saying "smaller" guys can't play Linebacker at this FBS level. There are exceptions to EVERY rule. For exampe, I believe LA Tech's 1970's star Joe McNeely --at 5'10"-- could have played at almost any level. It's just that the NUMBERS tend to ALWAYS favor the BIGGER guys. Yes, "pass coverage" is very important in the college game today, but so is RUN STOPPAGE and goal line stands.
    Last edited by HogDawg; 07-19-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Champ Bearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    You guys are a piece of work. Sometimes I think the ULL guys are smarter than we give them credit for, because they think at least half of you are nuts.

For you guys pushing the "new, smaller, faster LB" narrative, do you really think this info is not available for immediate viewing? I mean, seriously people......

Just so we're clear, nobody --especially me-- is saying a "smaller" guy can't play Linebacker at this FBS level. There are exceptions to EVERY rule. It's jsut that the NUMBERS tend to ALWAYS favor the BIGGER guys. Yes, "pass coverage" is important, but so is RUN STOPPAGE.

I could pull up more examples of why some of you guys are just wrong, but I'm not going to. I learned a long time ago that most of you won't learn from it anyway.
    Again, based on your elitist viewpoint, many fantastic players would not be the legends they are now. While not immediately applicable to LB's (D80 gave a pro-bowler 5'9 LB), Trent Taylor would not have played for Tech due to his size. He became one of our best WR's of all time, and another NFL draft pick. While it is more likely that a player with the median NFL size is more likely to be successful, there are always those who are just as capable who do not fit the size requirements.

I'd say give the LB a chance to prove HD wrong

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Most recruits get culled, not because of their size, but, because of their lack of speed. Santos was 6-2,255, but, was really slow and, he was a 4 star recruit. Adrian Cole, our best LB in recent years, was 5-11. I bet that Hawaii QB wishes he hadn't challenged Cole's size or speed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUqT3twLMXo

Most recruits get culled, not because of their size, but, because of their lack of speed. Santos was 6-2,255, but, was really slow and, he was a 4 star recruit. Adrian Cole, our best LB in recent years, was 5-11. I bet that Hawaii QB wishes he hadn't challenged Cole's speed.
    I agree, Adrien Cole was the best LB I've personally seen in a Tech Uniform (experience since 2009). This Canadian LB is supposed to have 4.55 and is the same height as DONW listed Cole for. I imagine that means he pretty fast.

+ Reply to Thread