+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Biggest Upsets in Tech History

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Biggest Upsets in Tech History

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    Shreveport is getting a direct flight to Charlotte! Will this save us any money?
    I heard that on the radio. Is there a Shreveport/Charlotte company connection of some sort?

I don't think it will save the team any money since we fly charter, but it might save the fans a big bundle. Book 'em now!

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    I heard that on the radio. Is there a Shreveport/Charlotte company connection of some sort?

I don't think it will save the team any money since we fly charter, but it might save the fans a big bundle. Book 'em now!
    I don't think there's a company connection. The funds to start the route were part of the taxes we voted on a few years back - Airport/Sports Commission/I-Bowl.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/new...145024684.html

American Airlines said Monday that it’s adding new flights from Charlotte to Toledo, Ohio, and Shreveport, La.
    The carrier said it’s adding twice-daily service to each city. The flights start on Aug. 22, and they’ll be operated by American Eagle on 50-seat CRJ200 regional jets. The service will operate year-round.
    http://www.shreveporttimes.com/story...ces/356376001/

The new service will connect Shreveport to 260 cities in one stop in Charlotte, 78 of which were not reachable in one stop before the route. Charlotte-Douglas Airport is the second largest hub for American Airlines, the largest airline in the country.
    A $200,000 investment in marketing a new Charlotte route from the Shreveport Regional Airport could pay dividends for the region and drive down ticket prices for some flights, airport officials and advocates say.

The payment, funded in part by the 2015 tax on motel and hotel use in Shreveport and Bossier City, could be the first of a series of payments to attract flights into the airport in an attempt to make the regional airport a true regional hub.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    The old Drake Field now operates as Fayetteville's municipal / executive airport. The new NW Ark regional airport (XNA) is no less than a 30 min drive from U of Ark.
    Ok, but how many direct commercial flights?

Big Dog BearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    That does not seem right. We were terrible the year we lost to SFA. Terrible. Our only wins were over Mississippi Valley State and the 2 UL-pickems
    ELO is not a rating based on how you finish the year, but on the momentum we'd had prior to that particular game. We had very bad momentum after 2013 going into the 2014 season (to lose to NWST). I believe going into the SFAustin game, we had strong momentum from the previous few years, which is why we had a higher ELO

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BearDawg137 View Post
    ELO is not a rating based on how you finish the year, but on the momentum we'd had prior to that particular game. We had very bad momentum after 2013 going into the 2014 season (to lose to NWST). I believe going into the SFAustin game, we had strong momentum from the previous few years, which is why we had a higher ELO
    Correct. As far as predictors go, its fairly poor, correctly picking the winner about 67% of the time. Better than a coin flip.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    That does not seem right. We were terrible the year we lost to SFA. Terrible. Our only wins were over Mississippi Valley State and the 2 UL-pickems
    That was the really a year with two seasons. Before McCown became the starter and then a few games after McCown became the starter. We looked like two different teams, nearly beating Miami and Auburn. As Luke told Fletcher in a radio interview last week, if he had a little bit more experience we would have won both those games.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    That was the really a year with two seasons. Before McCown became the starter and then a few games after McCown became the starter. We looked like two different teams, nearly beating Miami and Auburn. As Luke told Fletcher in a radio interview last week, if he had a little bit more experience we would have won both those games.
    Luke's comment is something that a lot of our fans simply refuse to believe. They want the next true freshman QB to just be given the "keys to our offense" immediately, even though history has proven that this just leads to the young kid turning the ball over way to often and then receiving the anger of those same fans for years after he has matured and SIGNIFICANTLY improved (Dunigan, Higgins, and others).

The QB position requires massive amounts of practice, repetition experience, maturity, strength,... that are developed with TIME IN THE SYSTEM. The unprecedented success of the last three seasons are yet more proof of how good we can be with an experienced GR/ SR-RS QB.

That being said, J'Mar Smith is a very capable SO-RS QB who is ready for the role now. Smith absolutely was not ready as a true freshman.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Unless I'm mistaken, it was freshman QB Luke McCown who threw that INT in OT vs. UCF. It was 1st and 10 and he forced a pass...late! over the middle. A sure recipe for disaster. If you EVER want to launch one into the cheap seats to live to play another down, it's on 1st down in OT.

No wait....I'm having a flashback! the final was 20-16, it was not in OT, but at the end of regulation. Still, clearly it was 4-down territory. Whatever! it was a "STUPID" mistake, but one many people will excuse because he was a freshman. But...not me. Wouldn't people expect a senior QB in HS, one who was a 3-year starter in HS to play smarter? So, the previous fall, while a senior QB, he was expected to be smart enough not to make a bonehead mistake, but 12 months later....he's dumb again???

I don't buy the "freshman" excuse.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

As a Sr in HS a typical QB was at least as experienced as his HS peers on average. When he moved on to become a college freshman QB he became significantly inexperienced vs his college peers. There is nothing to "buy" into, it is just logical common sense.

If a recent college graduate begins day 1 at your business are you more likely to ask him/her to run a key business unit or the employee that has been with the company for 3-4 years, shown up to work consistently, and proven that he/she KNOWS what they are doing and what is expected of them?

There are no 'guarantees', but there is a lot of training/mentoring (mental, physical,...) that can be done to get someone ready to be a key leader. Are you smarter, wiser, more experienced than when you were a recent college grad? Much less a HS grad?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I was speaking specifically about the "absolutes" of sports, in this case, the decision-making of a QB in a specific situation. I remember the reaction at the game that night...as we watched UCF take a knee and run out the clock...smart, football-savvy fans who knew it was a bonehead mistake, and I seem to recall talk on our on board (was it the old Delphi board back then?) agreeing it was an inexcusable mental error. It was 1st and 10, maybe 1 minute+ left, we were at the UCF 25 or somewhere close to that. There was NO reason to force that pass. Throw it away and play 2nd down. These are things a 10-yr-old knows from just watching football on TV.

I understand your point DogsWin, and it's a valid point. We expect players to mature and get better between their freshman and senior seasons. But, we don't excuse inexcusable mental errors. Tell ya what, if that first year employee (recent college grad) made a bonehead mistake that cost my company a contract, or some money, he's likely to be fired on the spot. Everyone is expected to have a certain level of knowledge already. A college football coach shouldn't have to tell a QB....now, in this situation do NOT force a pass, late over the middle. I know Luke knew better, and I'm sure he agrees, he made a bonehead mistake.

That was 2000, wasn't it. The very next year after Tim Rattay. We were spoiled and expected our QB to be the smartest player on the field.

Here, let's celebrate a mature Luke doing great stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDbokLl9ejQ

+ Reply to Thread