+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Biggest Upsets in Tech History

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: Biggest Upsets in Tech History

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    Caclulated myself. 538 has their own version, but I wanted a total history from Game 1 (similar to what is done for international soccer and rugby) that includes the pre-poll era and the wild early days of college football. I had to scrape it all from College Football Data Warehouse, but then the site went down for some reason. I need to update the code and results on my GitHub at some point, but you can read about my process there.

Unfortunately, I don't compare games between non-divisional opponents, only teams that were in the "top division" (whatever that was at the time). So OBU games count before 1936, but not after that. I'd intended to add them into the system, but I need the data, which CFB Warehouse had but no one else did (no one cares about defunct Div III teams). I would imagine that it's certainly the biggest Tech loss in the last 30 years though.
    Thanks. You can still go back and see CFB Warehouse using https://archive.org/web/.

Champ Bearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond reputeBearpaw has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Thanks. You can still go back and see CFB Warehouse using https://archive.org/web/.
    We actually use the "Wayback Machine" quite often in my job to cite information before disclosures. Google has a decent dating system too

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    first and only time fans stormed the field and took down goal post!! did I dream that ??

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    LA Tech over Alabama II. The Tide were SEC champs that year. Sean Cangelosi --who had also scored a TD against Bama in Tech's 1997 win over the Tide-- solidified his place in LA Tech history as the "Bama Killer" with the go ahead TD in the end zone with a couple of seconds left.

http://static.espn.go.com/ncf/1999/9...ap/llgaad.html

Clearly, Tech's win at Michigan State was also huge. People forget that LT's Chris Norwood made an incredible catch in the end zone with only 13 seconds left that was ruled "out of bounds" (3:23 mark on the video) just 2 plays before the final TD pass completion to DJ Curry. Also, I can't remember who recovered the onside kick for Tech with 1-min left in the game, but that play was obviously huge too. He wore #35. (I'm sure someone will recall the answer to this question.)

Tim was hurt so backup QB threw the game winner

Quote Originally Posted by EdTechster84 View Post
    Not on the same scale as Alabama x2 or Michigan State but Tech's win against LSU men's basketball in Baton Rouge in 1988 was big to me and had the good fortune to see in person. Video includes a very young TMo. I know that there have been bigger wins in the tournament (Pitt and Ohio State the year we lost the close one to Oklahoma), but this was really big at the time.

https://youtu.be/NMgxtO5cbtg
    I drove down to Baton Rouge for game with couple of LSU guys -- trash talked me all the way down --they had Jackson who put up 30 plus points but we won. The trip back was Priceless -- I was a nicer person back then and did not rub it in (too much) ...

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    first and only time fans stormed the field and took down goal post!! did I dream that ??
    The video was of the Colorado State game. Goal posts went down after we beat #17 Fresno State.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    I drove down to Baton Rouge for game with couple of LSU guys -- trash talked me all the way down --they had Jackson who put up 30 plus points but we won. The trip back was Priceless -- I was a nicer person back then and did not rub it in (too much) ...
    Chris Jackson scored 48 points against us that day, not just "30 plus". I thought he was going to single handidly beat us.

"Twice set Maravich Assembly Center scoring records, hitting 48 against Louisiana Tech on Dec. 6, 1988, and then 50 against Tennessee on Feb. 11, 1989 ... "

http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=174842

Bulldog DD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her gameDD Dawg is on top of his/her game

Yeah but Randy White and Byron Newton owned the tiggers that night!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DD Dawg View Post
    Yeah but Randy White and Byron Newton owned the tiggers that night!
    I was there. Loved it! Brett Guillory drew the tough assignment of TRYING to guard Chris Jackson. But, Brett contributed to the win on the offensive end, especially nailing 6 of 6 FTs down the stretch.

Then, we are up 111-108 and they have enough time for one more shot. Dale Brown calls a timeout and they huddle. Gee, let me guess, they are gonna set screens designed to get Jackson a good look at a 3 pointer to force another OT. That was the plan. But their forward, Mouton, who got the inbound pass and was supposed to get the ball to Jackson, turns and launches a long 3. Boink! We win! Typical undisciplined Dale Brown team. School yard.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    The video was of the Colorado State game. Goal posts went down after we beat #17 Fresno State.
    ...and after beating Colorado State.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1OGmb60W_E

We beat Louisville in hoops. They were ranked #5 in the AP Poll at the time, so it was considered a big upset. But by the end of the year we were ranked #7 and UL was hanging on to a Top 25 ranking the best they could. Fact is, we were simply better, as these highlights show. Coached by Andy Russo the Dawgs played REAL basketball.

Note: one poster on this forum stated that "Karl Malone made Andy Russo." Nope, Russo made Malone. Made him into the great player he became. The raw talent/ability was there, of course, but Russo taught Malone it was okay to pass the ball and that an assist is just as valuable as scoring yourself. Malone spent the majority of the 83-84 and 84-85 seasons on the bench in foul trouble. This win over UL was typical. The Dawgs won with Malone on the bench for about 30 of the 40 minutes.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    ...and after beating Colorado State.
    Yes, but DS65 said "first and only".

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by houston techsan View Post
    the video was of the colorado state game. Goal posts also went down after we beat #17 fresno state.
    Quote Originally Posted by houston techsan View Post
    yes, but ds65 said "first and only".
    fify

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Yes, but DS65 said "first and only".
    The best story about either of these clips was the one Coach Peace told at freshman orientation the following summer. He gave the talk to each group on the main floor of the student center. Hundreds of incoming students in each group.

He told the story of the Spirit of 88 and everything that happened to the program to get to that moment at the end of the CSU game. He talked about the night on that very floor during the football banquet when Dr. Reneau announced that he had received the call earlier that day from the NCAA that Tech had been granted I-A status.

After the game he said he was a few yards away on the field when the one of the goal posts came down on top of a student who hit the ground hard. He rushed over, pushed people out of the way, and leaned in over the top of the young man's forehead. "Are you ok, son? Are you ok? He said he asked the young man several times as everyone around the student quieted down. Then the young man opened his eyes, looked up at him and said, "Coach, how bout them Dawgs!"

Everyone would go wild. Even the parents of the students who attended would get up and applaud.

Tech vs. Fresno - first 30 seconds of this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yNkPUtlCGI

Tech vs. Colorado State - the 44 second mark of this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1XHy2I_o5Q

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    Here they are ordered by the difference in Elo rating at the time we beat them:
    1. Bowling Green (OH), 1995 (-1012)
    2. Fresno St. (CA), 2008 (-736)
    3. Alabama, 1997 (-735)
    4. Toledo (OH), 1996 (-714)
    5. Fresno St. (CA), 2005 (-680)
    6. Nevada, 2011 (-600)
    7. Fresno St. (CA), 2004 (-599)
    8. Hawaii, 2009 (-479)
    9. Alabama, 1999 (-401)
    10. Ball St. (IN), 1978 (-400)
    11. Ouachita Baptist (AR), 1929 (-399)
    12. Southern Arkansas, 1930 (-389)
    13. Houston (TX), 2012 (-361)
    14. Louisiana-Lafayette, 1926 (-340)
    15. Mississippi St., 1996 (-328)
    Poor Fresno.

Some of the other upsets mentioned here (while amazing games by other metrics) fall closer to the center of the bell curve for wins and don't quite make the Top 15.
    That is interesting. That 95 season looks interesting (right before my time, i started Tech in 97 - 20 years ago). What happened in the middle of that season?

I am also curious about how the rankings ended up so wide between us and Bowling Green considering the similar records that season.

+ Reply to Thread