+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NSU applications decreasing by 22.67%

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: NSU applications decreasing by 22.67%

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    Mucho cheapo.
    Yes, but this cost is in addition to the usual costs incurred during the high school years.

My kiddos accumulated many hours of duel enrollment, but I never knew about until well after the fact. Wonder why?

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    HS dual enrollment students are college students. I see no reason why they shouldn't be counted in enrollment statistics.
    Sorry, but HS dual enrollment students are high school students, not college students. They are HS students taking HS classes at their HS while simply getting college credit for it to benefit the government's budget.

I NEVER said they should not be counted. I clearly said that enrollment figures should have context.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Sorry, but HS dual enrollment students are high school students, not college students. They are HS students taking HS classes at their HS while simply getting college credit for it to benefit the government's budget.

I NEVER said they should not be counted. I clearly said that enrollment figures should have context.
    Many of our dual-enrollment students are college students. They are enrolled in college courses outside of their dual-enrollment courses.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    Many of our dual-enrollment students are college students. They are enrolled in college courses outside of their dual-enrollment courses.
    If they are enrolled in actual college courses at the same college, then their head count would NOT be duplicated in the official enrollment figures.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

You're not fully informed. They are not all "taking HS classes at their HS while simply getting college credit." Dual enrollment courses that are administered well have a university faculty member who is responsible for the high school courses. The university provides the syllabus, mandates the textbook and other materials, maintains an online course management system, creates and grades the tests, etc. The university even uses its own grading scale, so HS teachers may use a generous curve, but the university faculty member may not...so the student gets one grade for HS credit and possibly a different one for university credit.

You're not fully informed. They are not all "taking HS classes at their HS while simply getting college credit." Dual enrollment courses that are administered well have a university faculty member who is responsible for the high school courses. The university provides the syllabus, mandates the textbook and other materials, maintains an online course management system, creates and grades the tests, etc. The university even uses its own grading scale, so HS teachers may use a generous curve, but the university faculty member may not...so the student gets one grade for HS credit and possibly a different one for university credit.
    Again, you completely missed the point.

And for the record, at my HS all we had to do was fill out a form and pay $100 if we wanted dual enrollment college credit. There was nothing "college" about it or anything different for the students who didn't pay the $100. We were HS students, and I guarantee you that's how every single dual enrollment student identifies himself... as a high school student even if they are getting college credit. But then again, these days some men try to identify as women and vice versa. So maybe confused HS kids these days try to identify as college students because they are getting dual enrollment credit when the rest of the world knows they are still just HS students. If some of y'all want to pretend like HS dual enrollment kids are real college students, whatever makes y'all feel better.

To my point, I said it's important to have context when discussing enrollment numbers. A HS dual enrollment student is not the same as a college student. A part-time student is not the same as a full-time student. An online student is not the same as an on-campus student. An undergraduate student is not the same as a grad student. A main campus student is not the same as an off-campus student. An international student is not the same as an in-state student. Etc. Etc. Enrollment figures can be deceiving if you don't put them in context. That was my point. So when somebody says Tech has over 12K students, but we "only" get 3-4K students at football games... That's a pretty unfair statement because we don't really have over 12K college students in Ruston. Are y'all upset we aren't packing the student section at The Joe with HS dual enrollment kids?
    Last edited by Dawg06; 07-27-2017 at 11:52 PM.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

I got duel enrollment and in my AP class and a fine arts class in high school. No extra cost, no college graders. I also got some duel enrollment just for passing AP tests.

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Correction, not duel enrollment for AP. Just college credit.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech52 View Post
    Correction, not duel enrollment for AP. Just college credit.
    The dual-enrollment option has become more popular because it is guaranteed college credit as opposed to AP, where students have to pass a test to get the credit. AP credits do not go on the college transcript as a grade, while dual-enrollment courses do. That's one of my concerns about dual-enrollment. We have 14-year-old freshmen taking classes that will go on their college transcript. Not every kid is mature enough to handle that responsibility.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

I have on experience with a nephew who tested out of the first two calculus courses. He was not ready to compete with the more mature students who normally take the third course and fell on his face. It takes more than just knowledge to make the grade in college. That is why we have the first year experience, orientation, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    The dual-enrollment option has become more popular because it is guaranteed college credit as opposed to AP, where students have to pass a test to get the credit. AP credits do not go on the college transcript as a grade, while dual-enrollment courses do. That's one of my concerns about dual-enrollment. We have 14-year-old freshmen taking classes that will go on their college transcript. Not every kid is mature enough to handle that responsibility.
    Yeah my correction was just for the test. My high school's AP English classes for grades 11 and 12 are duel enrollment classes, passing the test offers even more credits. When I went only the 12th grade class was duel enrollment. I got English credit for two tests and one class, and that was enough to bypass all the freshmen English classes I needed. Just needed Tech writing and tech presentations.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

I know that one high school in the River Parishes in south Louisiana - I don't remember which one - had roughly a dozen students who earned a high school diploma and community college degree at their high school graduation in May. I was surprised when I saw the news report because I didn't think as much as 60 hours of credit could be obtained through DE. I was wrong.

That led to a discussion with some family friends who have a son attending LSU. He's a recent graduate of a Catholic high school in the New Orleans area. Like many other families they were unaware that much credit could be earned. His high school offered very little DE credit.

They said that there is now tremendous pressure being put on the private schools in New Orleans and other parts of the state to offer much more DE credit.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    I have on experience with a nephew who tested out of the first two calculus courses. He was not ready to compete with the more mature students who normally take the third course and fell on his face. It takes more than just knowledge to make the grade in college. That is why we have the first year experience, orientation, etc.
    That's the truth. Back when I was in HS, Tech encouraged prospective COES students not to take AP tests or dual enrollment credit in math and science for good reason. Unfortunately some didn't take the advice. In addition to HS courses not being as high a level as Tech courses, Tech has an integrated curriculum for COES built around blocks of courses with the same group of students for all Freshmen COES classes. That means you can't get ahead in math and science with high school credit, and it ends up being detrimental to the education of students who skip those college courses relying on their HS education because they get left out on projects and study groups, don't use what they learned in HS for a long while, don't get the basics reinforced, forget what they learned because they wouldn't take college math until the Spring, and then have to play catch-up on everything they missed in the Fall and Winter.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Again, you completely missed the point...
    Perhaps you aren't as good at making one as you think. It's worth considering.

Perhaps you aren't as good at making one as you think. It's worth considering.
    More like you enjoy nitpicking irrelevant arguments. Hence, why you always selectively edit my posts taking them out of context when quoting me and respond to claims I did not make as if I had made them.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 07-29-2017 at 10:54 AM.

+ Reply to Thread