+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NSU applications decreasing by 22.67%

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

NSU applications decreasing by 22.67%

Colleges With Decrease In Applications

By Bex Walton, Jul 20, 2016

Northwestern State University of Louisiana

Northwestern State University has for years been dedicated to learning for well. It is considered not only one of the most spacious but also one of the most attractive campuses in the south
    , yet still, applications have been decreasing by 22.67% which is a lot.

http://www.semesterz.com/inside-coll...plications/55/

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: NSU applications decreasing by 22.67%

That's an old article. After more than a decade of decline, I'm pretty sure they are increasing now because they've hired some agency to recruit a bunch of foreigners to boost enrollment in addition to online learning and HS dual enrollment. Dawg80 knows the details.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I don't know of a single agency that has been hired to conduct across-campus recruiting of foreign students. Not saying there's not one, just I'm not aware of it. I do know, in the past anyway, individual colleges and the university itself, on a case by case basis, has been very active in recruiting international students and entering into agreements as opportunities arise. Sometimes the initial contact is made by an individual professor who might have met a foreign professor at a conference, or perhaps, from a research collaboration and that led to talks about student/professor exchanges. Now, VP Dr. Marcus Jones is very active in seeking international agreements and often he is the source of a contact. Eventually, Dr. Jones and the provost and eventually the university prez, Dr. Chris Maggio now, have to sign off on any such agreements. Recently, for instance, Dr. Perez, herself a native of Spain, initiated contact with a university there and NSU just inked an agreement to bring in Spanish students, not just in an exchange with that university, but also to offer Spanish high schoolers (or the equivalent) to enter NSU as freshmen.

The HS dual enrollment is a recruiting tool, as it is hoped the student will opt to continue as an NSU student. The university does not make a dime on the tuition paid as a dual enrollee, and most of the time, NSU doesn't get the student as they choose to go elsewhere, and bring their 18 (? I think it is) hrs earned with 'em.

NSU is one of the leaders in online students. That is a good money-maker for the university, as very often adjuncts are paid mere pennies to teach the online courses for which students pay full price plus technology fees, used to fund computer labs and other technology upgrades.

Other than this, I don't know many details. But! I can find out.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

One additional note on the HS dual enrollment. All ULS schools have agreed to honor those hours earned. So, if a kid earns 21 hours in dual enrollment at NSU and opts to attend Tech, for instance, Tech has to accept those 21 hours and check off as completed whatever courses those were. I think the maximum a student can earn in HS dual enrollment is 30 hours. But that is an entire academic year, meaning they can graduate from HS and enter college as a sophomore. That does NOT mean, however, they won't still have to take some freshmen courses. Maybe Tech has Engineering 101 a freshmen level course that is a core requirement and it was not available in the HS dual enrollment program.

Okay...that's all I know.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I don't know of a single agency that has been hired to conduct across-campus recruiting of foreign students. Not saying there's not one, just I'm not aware of it. I do know, in the past anyway, individual colleges and the university itself, on a case by case basis, has been very active in recruiting international students and entering into agreements as opportunities arise. Sometimes the initial contact is made by an individual professor who might have met a foreign professor at a conference, or perhaps, from a research collaboration and that led to talks about student/professor exchanges. Now, VP Dr. Marcus Jones is very active in seeking international agreements and often he is the source of a contact. Eventually, Dr. Jones and the provost and eventually the university prez, Dr. Chris Maggio now, have to sign off on any such agreements. Recently, for instance, Dr. Perez, herself a native of Spain, initiated contact with a university there and NSU just inked an agreement to bring in Spanish students, not just in an exchange with that university, but also to offer Spanish high schoolers (or the equivalent) to enter NSU as freshmen.

The HS dual enrollment is a recruiting tool, as it is hoped the student will opt to continue as an NSU student. The university does not make a dime on the tuition paid as a dual enrollee, and most of the time, NSU doesn't get the student as they choose to go elsewhere, and bring their 18 (? I think it is) hrs earned with 'em.

NSU is one of the leaders in online students. That is a good money-maker for the university, as very often adjuncts are paid mere pennies to teach the online courses for which students pay full price plus technology fees, used to fund computer labs and other technology upgrades.

Other than this, I don't know many details. But! I can find out.
    A little less than a year ago you posted this... "foreign students, mostly from China, Columbia, and Panama, where NSU has been actively recruiting."

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80
    As of last week, the last count I was told is 262 students will have to sit out the Fall semester due to nowhere to stay. Classes have begun, as of yesterday, and this means either desperate measures....pup tents anyone? Or, these students having to resign and hoping for better accommodations come January. These numbers do not include foreign students, mostly from China, Columbia, and Panama, where NSU has been actively recruiting. The lack of housing has been known for a year, and those students, failing to lock something in back in the spring, voluntarily withdrew for the time being.
    I remembered your quote from last year and must've got the foreign agency recruiter thing mixed up with your other school... LSUS who hired one not too long ago. LSUS hired some agency to recruit foreign students because their undergrad enrollment is in decline, and Clark said it's been successful in increasing enrollment at other universities. But your statement read to me like NWST had somebody recruiting those three foreign countries to reverse their declining enrollment.

I brought up HS dual enrollment because those students are included in the head count enrollment released each fall even though they aren't college students. HS dual enrollment numbers artificially inflate enrollment figures for everyone, which makes enrollment stats deceiving without context.

I mentioned online education because it's similar to HS dual enrollment and all their satellites in that they are included in the official enrollment even though most will never set foot on campus in Natchitoches. It's important to have context when discussing enrollment.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

One additional note on the HS dual enrollment. All ULS schools have agreed to honor those hours earned. So, if a kid earns 21 hours in dual enrollment at NSU and opts to attend Tech, for instance, Tech has to accept those 21 hours and check off as completed whatever courses those were. I think the maximum a student can earn in HS dual enrollment is 30 hours. But that is an entire academic year, meaning they can graduate from HS and enter college as a sophomore. That does NOT mean, however, they won't still have to take some freshmen courses. Maybe Tech has Engineering 101 a freshmen level course that is a core requirement and it was not available in the HS dual enrollment program.

Okay...that's all I know.
    At Pineville High, we introduced a program this past year where our students, beginning with the Class of 2020, can earn an associate's degree (60 hours!!!) while in high school. Our dual-enrollment agreement is with NSU. There's a private school in Alexandria that has an agreement with LSUA where they can earn 60 hours of dual-enrollment credit. I have my own personal opinions about dual-enrollment, but it's a program that is being emphasized by the Department of Education and isn't going away.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

60 hours duel enrollment with lsuA. That's solid.

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, in ten years, seniors will be graduating high school with a PhD.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    A little less than a year ago you posted this... "foreign students, mostly from China, Columbia, and Panama, where NSU has been actively recruiting."

I remembered your quote from last year and must've got the foreign agency recruiter thing mixed up with your other school... LSUS who hired one not too long ago. LSUS hired some agency to recruit foreign students because their undergrad enrollment is in decline, and Clark said it's been successful in increasing enrollment at other universities. But your statement read to me like NWST had somebody recruiting those three foreign countries to reverse their declining enrollment.

I brought up HS dual enrollment because those students are included in the head count enrollment released each fall even though they aren't college students. HS dual enrollment numbers artificially inflate enrollment figures for everyone, which makes enrollment stats deceiving without context.

I mentioned online education because it's similar to HS dual enrollment and all their satellites in that they are included in the official enrollment even though most will never set foot on campus in Natchitoches. It's important to have context when discussing enrollment.
    Yes, it's my understanding that NSU is using active foreign student recruiting to boost attendance. So? Are they supposed to just sit there and HOPE students will enroll at NSU? Is that how you conduct business?

I forgot that HS dual enrollment now allows students to earn 60 hours and get an associate degree. That is a recent development. I knew that, but had forgotten.

Yes, Dawg06, NSU is a leader in online education. It is a BIG money-maker for them. The Univ. of South New Hampshire saved itself via online courses and is now making $millions! Again, how do you conduct business? Do you poo pooh good revenue drivers?

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Other than you have hatred for other Louisiana schools. Well, get over it. It's not healthy to carry such hatred like this.

YES! I hold degrees from Tech, NSU, and LSUS and certificates from the Univ of Toledo, Univ of Memphis, and the Univ of Houston, oh, and one from Texas Woman's University. Yes, it is true! I was one of two guys in a classroom of 30 women. I loved it! That was a certificate in Mediation in Law, where we learned all kinds of law stuff, and how to conduct mediation to keep cases from going to court.

It's great big world out here. You should try to get out and experience some of it. Here's another news flash for ya, as great as it is, Louisiana Tech University is not the only source of a good education.

Back to the point... I applaud NSU and LSUS, and any university, for being pro-active to boost enrollment and revenue streams. There was a time taxpayers funded 80% of the operations of Louisiana's state schools. Now, it is down to just 20% and dropping. You wanna be concerned about something, try this. Since we are paying more and more in taxes and the state's education budget continues to bloat, where is all that money going? It's not going to the state universities.

On the LSUS thingy.... The Language Company relocated to LSUS from NSU last year. It's a private company, under-written by some Arab oil baron. It pays host families $675/month/student. It, the TLC, was at NSU for a few years and we took advantage of the opportunity. I bought a house specifically to accommodate international students and set my daughter up as "the host." We usually had 3 students at any one time, so we were paid $2,025/month. And for a period we had 4 students and got $2,700/month. It was very nice!

But, the program usually only had 8-10 students at a time, mostly because they were unable to find willing host families. It was not a big student-getter for NSU. And probably is not helping LSUS either. But, that is TLC, perhaps LSUS has another company recruiting for them as well.

I do know NSU is an active negotiations with some company to recruit online students for them. But, that company gets the lion's share of the tuition from the students they recruit, and thus far NSU has not inked a deal with them. Trying to negotiate a better deal for itself (NSU is).

Yes, it's my understanding that NSU is using active foreign student recruiting to boost attendance. So? Are they supposed to just sit there and HOPE students will enroll at NSU? Is that how you conduct business?

I forgot that HS dual enrollment now allows students to earn 60 hours and get an associate degree. That is a recent development. I knew that, but had forgotten.

Yes, Dawg06, NSU is a leader in online education. It is a BIG money-maker for them. The Univ. of South New Hampshire saved itself via online courses and is now making $millions! Again, how do you conduct business? Do you poo pooh good revenue drivers?

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. Other than you have hatred for other Louisiana schools. Well, get over it. It's not healthy to carry such hatred like this.

YES! I hold degrees from Tech, NSU, and LSUS and certificates from the Univ of Toledo, Univ of Memphis, and the Univ of Houston, oh, and one from Texas Woman's University. Yes, it is true! I was one of two guys in a classroom of 30 women. I loved it! That was a certificate in Mediation in Law, where we learned all kinds of law stuff, and how to conduct mediation to keep cases from going to court.

It's great big world out here. You should try to get out and experience some of it. Here's another news flash for ya, as great as it is, Louisiana Tech University is not the only source of a good education.

Back to the point... I applaud NSU and LSUS, and any university, for being pro-active to boost enrollment and revenue streams. There was a time taxpayers funded 80% of the operations of Louisiana's state schools. Now, it is down to just 20% and dropping. You wanna be concerned about something, try this. Since we are paying more and more in taxes and the state's education budget continues to bloat, where is all that money going? It's not going to the state universities.

I corrected a couple false statements and stated facts. Then you got really defensive and made poor assumptions and turned it into an ignorant attack on me.

Try to go back and read the words I actually posted instead of reading into it whatever interpretation you wanted.

I corrected a couple false statements and stated facts. Then you got really defensive and made poor assumptions and turned it into an ignorant attack on me.

Try to go back and read the words I actually posted instead of reading into it whatever interpretation you wanted.
    Nah, you can't sidestep it that easy. You have a pattern of demeaning other universities. The term "ignorant" means devoid of knowledge, some specific fact(s). Sorry, my "attacks" on you on this topic are rooted in truth derived from your history of commentary.

As for me, I have readily admitted over the years, I sometimes post things just to yank someone's chain, or to stir the pot a little. My "attacks" are always rooted in truth/reality, but I exaggerate or embellish at times, just to get another poster (or posters) to react.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

...I brought up HS dual enrollment because those students are included in the head count enrollment released each fall even though they aren't college students. HS dual enrollment numbers artificially inflate enrollment figures for everyone, which makes enrollment stats deceiving without context...
    HS dual enrollment students are college students. I see no reason why they shouldn't be counted in enrollment statistics.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    HS dual enrollment students are college students. I see no reason why they shouldn't be counted in enrollment statistics.
    $150/3hrs agrees

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    $150/3hrs agrees
    Mucho cheapo.
    Good old Memorial Gym

+ Reply to Thread