+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Labor Day weekend -- Let's start the NSU game hype!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Labor Day weekend -- Let's start the NSU game hype!

Well, I won't comment on our marketing plans (), but the point he was making is that having 7 homes games works (financially,) instead of having two body bag games, IF you get a certain level of attendance. He stated where that benchmark is, and correctly pointed out that these first two home games offer the best opportunity to realize those attendance numbers. I think the USM game is also an opportunity for good attendance. But, it's hard to argue against his point.

I am no fan of TMac. I have stated before I think he's in over his head and Tech could do much better at AD. But, on this issue, I can't find a flaw in what he said. He's right....as far as the numbers go.

Back to the marketing question....at what point is it the responsibility of "Tech Nation" to pick itself up by its bootstraps and stop blaming "marketing" for any perceived lack of attendance/support? I know two Tech grads, former members of the BOP, who graduated 10 years ago and have NOT been back to Aillet for a game. Oh, and they live in West Monroe, so distance is hardly an excuse. They are a married couple, both say they enjoyed their experiences in the band, love Tech and want the Dawgs to win every Saturday! Yet...they can't seem to make the effort to attend even an occasional game. Please tell me what marketing campaign will motivate people like them to make the short drive.

I just looked at the schedule. Every home game has a special event connected to it, be it Homecoming or Military Appreciation Day, etc... so, I commend those responsible for at least thinking this through to that point. It should help boost attendance, even a little, for each home date.

Ah, one more thing (Columbo), I stated "perceived" lack of attendance. We average 22K+. In a rural area, with two other, albeit a couple of jokes, football programs, and in a state that is purple & gold crazy, are we really doing that bad? Years ago I posted an analysis that compared our attendance to LSU's and using the population numbers within 70 miles, to match our percentage of support LSU would have to average 300K. Even if Tigger Stadium was big enough to accommodate that many, would they really average 300K?

Point is, are we really doing that poorly?

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Back to the marketing question....at what point is it the responsibility of "Tech Nation" to pick itself up by its bootstraps and stop blaming "marketing" for any perceived lack of attendance/support? I know two Tech grads, former members of the BOP, who graduated 10 years ago and have NOT been back to Aillet for a game. Oh, and they live in West Monroe, so distance is hardly an excuse. They are a married couple, both say they enjoyed their experiences in the band, love Tech and want the Dawgs to win every Saturday! Yet...they can't seem to make the effort to attend even an occasional game. Please tell me what marketing campaign will motivate people like them to make the short drive.

I just looked at the schedule. Every home game has a special event connected to it, be it Homecoming or Military Appreciation Day, etc... so, I commend those responsible for at least thinking this through to that point. It should help boost attendance, even a little, for each home date.
    No amount of marketing can bring out fans like the two ex BOP members. That is just apathy. What may work is for other fans to hype up the experience to these types of alums.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Tech Nation? Much of the Tech Family is uninformed and uneducated regarding our main sports programs. We depend of social media now and that's not a bad thing, but we don't use it properly. None of us who are already fans should be able to log in to our email or social media accounts w/out getting a LaTechSports hit regarding football. That requires some organization among our administration and various departments. We lack leadership in that area.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

On another front I had to be in BR area Monday.

I listened to the elessewe flagship radio station. I swear to God Almighty, every commercial was related to the tiggers . . . tailgating, ticket promos, parties, all kinds of radio promos. If I cared I'd actually be pumped.

Who's fault is it listeners and advertisers can't take over the local ESPN radio affiliate in similar fashion for Tech?
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post

Who's fault is it that we can't take over the local ESPN radio affiliate in similar fashion.
    Sean Fox won't let people say 'warchicken" so I blame him.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

I am bringing a group to the MS State game. People seemed genuinely exited to get together and go to the game. A few made it clear that they were more excited about getting together than actually attending the game though. One made it clear that they wouldn't mind going to another game if we couldn't get seats all together. The game is a draw, but it still not THE draw.

The only thing I can come up with is to make the game day experience better and better. I will make sure my group has a good time, but we need to keep improving the facilities and atmosphere at the Joe. And we need to win!

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Well, I won't comment on our marketing plans (), but the point he was making is that having 7 homes games works (financially,) instead of having two body bag games, IF you get a certain level of attendance. He stated where that benchmark is, and correctly pointed out that these first two home games offer the best opportunity to realize those attendance numbers. I think the USM game is also an opportunity for good attendance. But, it's hard to argue against his point.

I am no fan of TMac. I have stated before I think he's in over his head and Tech could do much better at AD. But, on this issue, I can't find a flaw in what he said. He's right....as far as the numbers go.

Ah, one more thing (Columbo), I stated "perceived" lack of attendance. We average 22K+. In a rural area, with two other, albeit a couple of jokes, football programs, and in a state that is purple & gold crazy, are we really doing that bad? Years ago I posted an analysis that compared our attendance to LSU's and using the population numbers within 70 miles, to match our percentage of support LSU would have to average 300K. Even if Tigger Stadium was big enough to accommodate that many, would they really average 300K?

Point is, are we really doing that poorly?
    "Tech Nation" does "pick itself up from the bootstraps" unless we have a different definition of what is Tech Nation. I don't consider someone who has earned a degree necessarily a member of Tech Nation, Tech family, yeah, but not Nation. Your two band people are examples. Unlike HT, I think those people can be marketed to and brought in to the team. It might take a coordinated effort of the entire University to do so, but it can be done. You know as well as I that's how the schools that have the loyal alumni have done it. Every department stays in contact with their graduates year round. Tech has been sorely deficient in this throughout the years. It's been one of the constant themes on here since the beginning. It confounds me that we still haven't gotten it yet. As far your comparison between our attendance and LSU's, that is a false positive. LSU is sold out. Before construction began to expand their stadium to 100+ thousand, it was pretty near sold out if not sold out already. One could fairly confidently predict that if they had the size, they'd probably match our percentage or more in tickets sold. Remember, while we would all love to average 100k, I'd be fine with the tickets sold first. At some point, many of those tickets will be used either by the purchaser or someone they've given them to so they can attend a game.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

When I go to an away game, I usually by the away tickets through the opposing school - especially conference games - UAB, USM, Rice, North TX etal because I can get better deals and usually better seats and then I can move down to be with the other Tech fans if I wish -

I amazes me each year the number of calls and emails I receive from these schools wanting me to buy additional tickets for ALL SPORTS

We just don't do that, even with our own season ticket holders across sports

SELL SELL SELL SELL should be our motto - especially with the product we offer across all our sports - from football to basketball to baseball

But yet we don't get it

For the UAB game this year I got four tickets and a 3x5 UAB flag for $50 for our game there on Oct 7th - have no idea what I will do with the flag but got a great deal on the tickets
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post

I amazes me each year the number of calls and emails I receive from these schools wanting me to buy additional tickets for ALL SPORTS

SELL SELL SELL SELL should be our motto - especially with the product we offer across all our sports - from football to basketball to baseball
    an adult "Kids Club". Great idea

Bulldog DiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to allDiamondDawg36 is a name known to all DiamondDawg36's Avatar

Is it me or do others think it is odd that The Independence Bowl has an NSU Football Luncheon ever year to kick off the football season? I think it would make more sense if it was a team that could actually play in their bowl.

Reservations sought for next Thursday's Independence Bowl/NSU Luncheon

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDawg36 View Post
    Is it me or do others think it is odd that The Independence Bowl has an NSU Football Luncheon ever year to kick off the football season? I think it would make more sense if it was a team that could actually play in their bowl.

Reservations sought for next Thursday's Independence Bowl/NSU Luncheon
    Let the TOILET BOWL keep NSU!!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    "Tech Nation" does "pick itself up from the bootstraps" unless we have a different definition of what is Tech Nation. I don't consider someone who has earned a degree necessarily a member of Tech Nation, Tech family, yeah, but not Nation. Your two band people are examples. Unlike HT, I think those people can be marketed to and brought in to the team. It might take a coordinated effort of the entire University to do so, but it can be done. You know as well as I that's how the schools that have the loyal alumni have done it. Every department stays in contact with their graduates year round. Tech has been sorely deficient in this throughout the years. It's been one of the constant themes on here since the beginning. It confounds me that we still haven't gotten it yet. As far your comparison between our attendance and LSU's, that is a false positive. LSU is sold out. Before construction began to expand their stadium to 100+ thousand, it was pretty near sold out if not sold out already. One could fairly confidently predict that if they had the size, they'd probably match our percentage or more in tickets sold. Remember, while we would all love to average 100k, I'd be fine with the tickets sold first. At some point, many of those tickets will be used either by the purchaser or someone they've given them to so they can attend a game.
    So, you're saying if Tigger Stadium had 300K seats they would sell out? BS! Well, who knows, IF ticket prices were not too high for the ultra nose-bleed sections, and IF it was a huge game, maybe if Bama was ranked #1 and lspoo was ranked #2 or something....but even then, nah, I don't see it. The poosters' fan base is about 40% band wagoners, very fickled. We've already seen when the tiggers struggle they have a 25% empty stadium, especially for a lesser opponent, like a MAC school.

But, back to the main point, while I would like to see our attendance improve, I'm not one to lament our numbers now. Given our location/situation we're not doing too bad.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

The Southland Conference is certainly getting the word out that NSU won at Louisiana Tech the last time they played us in Ruston.

https://twitter.com/SouthlandSports/...37148352450560

FB: @NSUDemonsFB last visited Louisiana Tech in 2014, winning 30-27. @PTNetherton delivered call of Chris Moore's 47-yd GW kick. pic.twitter.com/I8arWWRbbm
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...tech/31668993/

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    The Southland Conference is certainly getting the word out that NSU won at Louisiana Tech the last time they played us in Ruston.

https://twitter.com/SouthlandSports/...37148352450560

FB: @NSUDemonsFB last visited Louisiana Tech in 2014, winning 30-27. @PTNetherton delivered call of Chris Moore's 47-yd GW kick. pic.twitter.com/I8arWWRbbm
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...tech/31668993/
    The same Chris Moore who missed THREE chippy FGs the very next week and was awful on the season.

And then, NSU painted the score and "We wrecked Tech" on that big rock by the Student Center. There are hundreds of commemorative footballs with the score painted on them, on shelves, in trophy cases all over Natchitoches. Former NSU president Jim Henderson, who knows I'm a Tech guy, took his off the shelf and held it up asking, "You have one of these?" (he was mostly joking/teasing).

Demon Nation thinks it can (and some think it WILL) happen again. Most are quietly optimistic. Guarded in what they say. But, make no mistake about it, the prevailing attitude is another NSU win in Ruston.

One fellow who is actually very knowledgeable about CFB, and a HUGE NSU supporter, says he knows on paper Tech should win. But then, that was true in 2014 too. In '14 it was a month into the season. We had just smoked UNT in Denton on a Thursday night and had eight days rest and time to prepare for the NSU game. If anything, the on-paper thingy was even more on Tech's side then. Now, in '17 it's the season opener where both teams will be feeling their way around. New personnel, new team leaders. And, lots of upsets happen on opening day....like Appy State shocking Michigan that year.

I have no control over these events. It's not up to me....

+ Reply to Thread