+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Frank Broyles: A look back

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Frank Broyles: A look back

Arkansas Gazette Sports Editor and columnist Orville Henry and Frank Broyles had one of the most symbiotic relationships in sports.

Here's a link to Henry's first column on Broyles, who died yesterday, and was the former coach and AD at Arkansas for many, many years. Another important cog in the Broyles administration was his administrative assistant, LR Central coach Wilson Mathews. There's a story on his hiring from the first day of Broyles contract.

The other link is the Arkansas Democrat's sports page of the day:

http://media.arkansasonline.com/img/...es_gazette.jpg

http://media.arkansasonline.com/img/...s_democrat.jpg
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Frank Broyles: A look back

He could buy some referees, that's for sure. RIP

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Orville Henry was Broyles puppet. He was the biggest cheerleader that UAF ever had. You could always tell when Broyles was going to fire a coach. Orville Henry would write negative stuff about him the day before Broyles fired him. I told my wife the day before Lou Holtz was going to be fired and he was fired the next day. A friend of mine told me that Henry once served as the radio guy for UAF. He said Henry would go on and on about what a great run the RB made and then they find out it'd 2nd and 9. Does anybody remember that his son served a very short time as the Tech AD? I think FJ gave him and Beightol a package deal.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    Orville Henry was Broyles puppet. He was the biggest cheerleader that UAF ever had. You could always tell when Broyles was going to fire a coach. Orville Henry would write negative stuff about him the day before Broyles fired him. I told my wife the day before Lou Holtz was going to be fired and he was fired the next day. A friend of mine told me that Henry once served as the radio guy for UAF. He said Henry would go on and on about what a great run the RB made and then they find out it'd 2nd and 9. Does anybody remember that his son served a very short time as the Tech AD? I think FJ gave him and Beightol a package deal.
    Seems like Clay Henry may have been on staff as associate A.D. or something like that, but I think Beightol was the A.D. during his short time on campus.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Having grown up in Arkansas, I can say with much confidence that Frank Broyles was the most popular man in the state for a couple of decades.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    Hence the use of the word "symbiotic." When your newspaper is home-delivered in all 75 counties you damn right the two used each other.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

I feel sure that Broyles told Henry every time he was going to fire a coach because Henry praised those coaches right up to 2 days before they were fired. Henry's editorial was supposed to convince everybody that it was time to fire the coach. I think that's why Broyles left Missouri after only one year to go to Arkansas was that he knew he could control the media with only one major newspaper and only one D-1 football team.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

Broyles had unwavering support from some key alumni in the mid to late 70s and early 80s that helped cement his legacy with that university.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Arkansas Gazette Sports Editor and columnist Orville Henry and Frank Broyles had one of the most symbiotic relationships in sports.

Here's a link to Henry's first column on Broyles, who died yesterday, and was the former coach and AD at Arkansas for many, many years. Another important cog in the Broyles administration was his administrative assistant, LR Central coach Wilson Mathews. There's a story on his hiring from the first day of Broyles contract.

The other link is the Arkansas Democrat's sports page of the day:

http://media.arkansasonline.com/img/...es_gazette.jpg

http://media.arkansasonline.com/img/...s_democrat.jpg
    And who was the OTHER finalist that didn't get the Arkansas job? Murray Warmath. Who in the world is that you say?

Warmath served as the head football coach at Mississippi State from 1952 to 1953, and at the University of MInnesota from 1954 to 1971. He compiled a career record of 97–84–10. In 1960, Warmath led the Minnesota Golden Gophers to a share of the Big Ten Conference title, an appearance in the Rose Bowl, and a national championship, the program's most recent to date. The following season, Minnesota placed second in the Big Ten Conference and returned to the Rose Bowl. Warmath's 1967 squad captured a share of a second Big Ten championship. Warmath died in 2011.

Not too bad of a career. Looks like Arkansas would have done well with either guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murray_Warmath

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe View Post
    Broyles had unwavering support from some key alumni in the mid to late 70s and early 80s that helped cement his legacy with that university.
    Jerry Jones.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

And yall wonder why the cajuns call Ruston sout Arkansas

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by rabiddawg View Post
    Because there is a thread about Frank Broyles dying? Who cares anyway?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rabiddawg View Post
    .....and we really care what the corrupt and crooked Cajuns think....

+ Reply to Thread