+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Rank the most important games in Tech 1A/FBS History"

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

"Rank the most important games in Tech 1A/FBS History"

I believe tomorrow's game is in the top 10.

Others are Colorado State and Maryland 1990. Bama 1999, Boise 2001,

I have more to add later, but I'll explain the above. 1990 was our break out year in 1A. Making a bowl game in 1990 was a huge deal. 1999 Bama was big because it got us notice to be ranked eventually, even though it was weeks later before we were actually ranked. Boise 2001 because it all but sewed up the WAC championship, even though Bicknell almost blew it at Tulsa.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Re: "Rank the most important games in Tech 1A/FBS History"

I would put the wins over Michigan State and Oklahoma State on there.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Big Dog BearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    I believe tomorrow's game is in the top 10.

Others are Colorado State and Maryland 1990. Bama 1999, Boise 2001,

I have more to add later, but I'll explain the above. 1990 was our break out year in 1A. Making a bowl game in 1990 was a huge deal. 1999 Bama was big because it got us notice to be ranked eventually, even though it was weeks later before we were actually ranked. Boise 2001 because it all but sewed up the WAC championship, even though Bicknell almost blew it at Tulsa.
    Illinois, Houston, Virginia, and Texas A&M got us ranked in 2012. Mississippi State in 2008 has to mean something. Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and TCU in 2011 were important. Illinois in 2014 gave us our first Money5 wins since 2012. Navy last year was a big game.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    I would put the wins over Michigan State and Oklahoma State on there.
    Both were big wins for us, but the wins really didn't help our cause in the years they occurred. In 2002 we were 4-8 (3-5 WAC), in 2003 we were 5-7 (3-5 WAC). COYHCJB should have been fired after the '03 season.

Quote Originally Posted by BearDawg137 View Post
    Illinois, Houston, Virginia, and Texas A&M got us ranked in 2012. Mississippi State in 2008 has to mean something. Ole Miss, Mississippi State, and TCU in 2011 were important. Illinois in 2014 gave us our first Money5 wins since 2012. Navy last year was a big game.
    We think alike. Even though it was a loss, the 2012 game vs. A&M is a top 10 game. I'd leave out the other three because we were simply better than those teams and expected to win. I want to forget 2012 all together. I'm undecided on Miss St 2008 and N Illinois. The TCU loss was a momentum killer for us that was only topped by the 2012 non-bowl.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Both were big wins for us, but the wins really didn't help our cause in the years they occurred. In 2002 we were 4-8 (3-5 WAC), in 2003 we were 5-7 (3-5 WAC). COYHCJB should have been fired after the '03 season.
    I agree they did not help us to have good seasons. But they did earn us a lot of respect on the national college football landscape.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Puppy Dawgs2448 is a jewel in the roughDawgs2448 is a jewel in the roughDawgs2448 is a jewel in the roughDawgs2448 is a jewel in the roughDawgs2448 is a jewel in the roughDawgs2448 is a jewel in the roughDawgs2448 is a jewel in the roughDawgs2448 is a jewel in the roughDawgs2448 is a jewel in the roughDawgs2448 is a jewel in the roughDawgs2448 is a jewel in the rough

Personally for me it was Rice 2001. That was my first year at Tech and the game that baptized me as a Tech fan. Ill never forget Michael John L blocking the FG and running onto the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    But they did earn us a lot of respect on the national college football landscape.
    You think? Remember who the coach for Oklahoma St was and what he did to lose the game? Michigan State to me was a high, then our fans were gradually let down the remainder of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgs2448 View Post
    Personally for me it was Rice 2001. That was my first year at Tech and the game that baptized me as a Tech fan. Ill never forget Michael John L blocking the FG and running onto the field.
    Huge game! Rice and Boise 2001 were two of the most memorable home games ever. It's when the "wear blue" campaign began.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Utah State 2012 was IMPORTANT - but we didn't win - had we won and then defeated SJSU, we'd probably have gone to Orange Bowl

Puppy Dawgs2448 is a jewel in the roughDawgs2448 is a jewel in the roughDawgs2448 is a jewel in the roughDawgs2448 is a jewel in the roughDawgs2448 is a jewel in the roughDawgs2448 is a jewel in the roughDawgs2448 is a jewel in the roughDawgs2448 is a jewel in the roughDawgs2448 is a jewel in the roughDawgs2448 is a jewel in the roughDawgs2448 is a jewel in the rough

Yes, great first half for Tech, where we built a 31-point lead. Great second half for Rice as they can all the way back and pushed the game into overtime, 38-38. Great play to block Rice's tying field goal in overtime!
    Good old Memorial Gym

A close 2nd is Ok St. 2002. Was great seeing Les Miles face when we stormed back and won. I wish I could find that game on TV somewhere to watch it again, unfortunately I don't think it was videoed. As the lady says in the "titanic" it exist only in my memories...lol

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    Utah State 2012 was IMPORTANT - but we didn't win - had we won and then defeated SJSU, we'd probably have gone to Orange Bowl
    Top 10 for sure...for many reasons.

A close 2nd is Ok St. 2002. Was great seeing Les Miles face when we stormed back and won. I wish I could find that game on TV somewhere to watch it again, unfortunately I don't think it was videoed. As the lady says in the "titanic" it exist only in my memories...lol
    Again, the win was great, but it meant nothing to our program perception because of the two years of losing records. Also, we have not gained much at all from playing big game in S'Port. It, like Michigan St, will be remember as a fluke by non Tech fans.

Varsity Bulldog diamonddawg31 is a jewel in the roughdiamonddawg31 is a jewel in the roughdiamonddawg31 is a jewel in the roughdiamonddawg31 is a jewel in the roughdiamonddawg31 is a jewel in the roughdiamonddawg31 is a jewel in the roughdiamonddawg31 is a jewel in the roughdiamonddawg31 is a jewel in the roughdiamonddawg31 is a jewel in the roughdiamonddawg31 is a jewel in the roughdiamonddawg31 is a jewel in the rough

2011 Nevada needs some love

+ Reply to Thread