+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 4: @South Carolina (9/23)

Big Dog BearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud of

Re: Week 4: @South Carolina (9/23)

Quote Originally Posted by TechAlum05 View Post
    1-10.

Losses to NC State (2013 - 1st game of Holtz era), Oklahoma (2014 season opener), Auburn (2014), MS State (2015, 2017), TX Tech (2016).

Very close losses to Kansas (2013, 13-10), Kansas State (39-33 in 3OT), Arkansas (2016, 21-20), and South Carolina (2017, 17-16)

Beat Illinois in Heart of Dallas Bowl in 2014.
    I'll note that that's with Tech, he's had some impressive Money 5 wins at his previous two stops, including Top 15 WVU & VT

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    What is Skip's record vs P5?
    What is Tech's record vs P5 schools regardless of who the coach is?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2180 View Post
    Not sure, but I think it is well under .250.

Champ Lotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant future

Champ rockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond repute

The 2017 Dawgs remind me of the 2011 Dawgs as of now. I hope we continue to grow and learn to win. We're young. We're getting better though. This could be a 10 win team. Never thought I'd see that this year.

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure, but I don't think the record is that good regardless of who the coach is. Sonny Dykes probably had the best record against the P5 schools in his three years (Ole Miss, Illinois, Virginia) as head coach, but I'm comparing him off the top of my head to Bicknell, Dooley, and Holtz.

Four of Skip's losses against P5 schools were within one score - twice by one point.

Big Dog BearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by TechAlum05 View Post
    Not sure, but I don't think the record is that good regardless of who the coach is. Sonny Dykes probably had the best record against the P5 schools in his three years (Ole Miss, Illinois, Virginia) as head coach, but I'm comparing him off the top of my head to Bicknell, Dooley, and Holtz.

Four of Skip's losses against P5 schools were within one score - twice by one point.
    I'd argue that any game lost in OT is less than a point...

Varsity Bulldog DawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to beholdDawgBark is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by steltz View Post
    I didn't notice this. I thought the clock management was perfect in the final 3 minutes.

Can anyone else confirm this?
    I don't know the rules but didn't we call a time out and when we lined up and ball was set the play clock started but the game clock stayed at 2:00. I figured the game clock must not start until snap if coming out of a time out? Is that the rule?

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBark View Post
    I don't know the rules but didn't we call a time out and when we lined up and ball was set the play clock started but the game clock stayed at 2:00. I figured the game clock must not start until snap if coming out of a time out? Is that the rule?
    Yes that is right.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Usually after we lose a competitive game on the road to a P5 I focus strictly on the positives and brush off the loss. And then, there are those few losses that leave me queasy. Kansas 2013 was like that for sure. And this loss....is a loss. We are better than South Carolina. This loss is not acceptable. If one is to give credit to players/coaches when they deserve it, then you have to call 'em out when they deserve criticism too. I don't understand the 4th Qtr meltdown. I got this sick feeling in my gut when Smith threw the INT inside the 5-yard line. But, I said to myself, no, not yet. The defense needs to step up, get a stop, force a punt from deep in their territory, and then the offense will make it right. I thought if we get good field position, we could at least get into FG range and it would be 16-0 after all, only with less time left in the game. But, we all know about the 97-yard drive.

Honestly, at that point I saw a COMPLETE meltdown coming and thought we might lose 21-13. I also had flashes of Smith throwing a Pick-6, which he did actually make that throw but the inept SC DB just knocked the pass away with one hand instead of just catching it and walking into the EZ. That's indicative of what a bunch of losers SC is. They suck!

We didn't have a COMPLETE meltdown, due in part to SC's ineptness. And after we retook the lead with less than a minute to play, I thought, well hey, we might have actually survived our Holtz-era propensity to GIVE AWAY sure-fire W's to P5s. Nope. I suppose I feel gut-punched because I allowed myself to actually believe yesterday would be different.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Regarding clock management by the score keepers...only four seconds ran off when we kicked off to them after our last score. That was BS. When they kicked the winning FG 3 seconds ran off which is typical.

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

Amik's size came into play with the last USC reception to set up the FG. It is what it is...still, Amik is a gamer.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Whatever it is, it's almost entirely on the road against the opposition's refs.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    Whatever it is, it's almost entirely on the road against the opposition's refs.
    Our AD, being the great negotiator he is, has probably never considered insisting on neutral refs. Jim Oakes did.

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Regarding clock management by the score keepers...only four seconds ran off when we kicked off to them after our last score. That was BS. When they kicked the winning FG 3 seconds ran off which is typical.
    Would we have had time for one more play if our returner had quickly taken a knee? I noticed we had 2-3 seconds left when the returner got the ball. If so, would you have done so?

+ Reply to Thread