Back in September, an 0-2 start, it didn't look very promising. Losing to the Vikes and Pats. Losing to the Pats, even at home, is disappointing, but not Earth-shattering, except the Saints didn't lose a close, competitive game, they got rocked 36-20, and the outcome was never in doubt. No one knew back then the Vikes are that good. We know now the Saints opened with two legit Super Bowl contenders.

You all know I LOVE defense! And the Saints are doing okay in that area. Thought I heard 'em say the Saints are 10th in total defense this year. I think. Which means they are pretty good, but that's not top 5, so more room for improvement. The year the Saints won the SB we were 15th in total defense but went crazy forcing turnovers, we had 39 take-aways that year, many at critical times in the game. Such as the 100 yd INT return vs. the Eagles when we were about to lose that one. Or when we were beat by the lousy Redskins, and Meachem stole the ball from their DB after Brees had just thrown the game-ending INT. The Saints, who started 13-0 that year, "stole" at least 3 of those wins away in the closing seconds with a take-away.

The 2017 defense is actually better than that 2009 team. Just not as many take-aways. I did like that "butt pick" yesterday!

Brees. He's barely adequate as a QB now. He's still as smart as ever, and is a good game manager. But, he is not a championship-caliber QB any longer. He is no threat to run. Yesterday on a 3rd and 3 he rolled to his right, after being flushed from the pocket and could have dashed for about 5 yards and gotten the first down. Instead he ended up throwing it away and the Saints punted. His arm strength is noticeably lacking. He can't make some of the throws he used to make routinely. All the "Brees is god" worshipers don't like to hear this. My sister and brother-in-law, who have season tix for the Saints, say I am nuts. I say they are blinded by "the big picture," Brees' remarkable career, and do not see what he is now, in 2017. Brees IS a good QB, yes. Still better than most of the other 32 starting QBs in the league. But he is not a championship QB.

But....the Saints can still win something, even with Brees at QB. After all, the Ravens won the Super Bowl with the crappy Trent Dilfer at QB. The Raiders won with Jim Plunket, and there are other examples. DEFENSE and a solid running game wins championships. Which, BTW, the Saints were 6th in rushing the year they won the SB. So, it was more than Brees that got it done then.

Regardless of what happens this year, it beats being 7-9.