+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: One last win

Champ bleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to behold bleudog's Avatar

Re: One last win

Scott, very few of us know what to say in a case like yours. I consider myself to be one of the majority as I don’t know what to say.

I don’t know how you’re feeling. I couldn’t even venture a guess. I did know someone who knew her version of what you’re going thru.

My wife wasn’t a Bulldog by degree. When it came to that, I guess I was Bulldog for both of us. While she doesn’t have a brick, she was my foundation. She had more Bulldog fight in her than anybody I know.

In early 2005, she was diagnosed with breast cancer. She beat it.

In late 2014, she was diagnosed with lung cancer. She didn’t beat it this side of Heaven.

She was a fighter though. Surgery wasn’t an option since hers was found late. She went thru weekly chemo. We saw some improvement after a few months so then she went thru a daily seven week radiation regimen. Radiation hadn’t been an option at first either. Even thru all that, most people she interacted had no idea what she was going thru. Most people just saw the caring, dynamo who walked too fast, talked too fast and rarely missed a day of work.

But about the time of spring game in 2015, she started going downhill. At the time, she didn’t see it as a hurdle she couldn’t get over. Even though the odds were long, she had cleared so many hurdles in the past and thought how she was feeling would improve.

She usually didn’t go to Tech games with me. Maybe just the occasional homecoming or a game where we were out of town and coming back thru Ruston at the right time or way back to some State Fair games when we were dating. But she offered to go with me to the Spring 2015 game. I guess I should have known something then but I told her she needed to rest and not to worry about me going by myself. It was just another trip down to Ruston A week later, she wasn’t up to going to a Relay for Life event (that was a cause near and dear to her heart for many reasons).

The Monday after RFL weekend, she was admitted to the local hospital. We still thought it was something called radiation pneumonitis and she would respond to steroids. After a week, she was transferred to one of the larger hospitals in the state to continue treatment and to be in a larger hospital if things took a turn for the worse. While there were times when it looked like she was making progress, after about two weeks in the larger hospital, I was introduced to the word palliative care. Even with a reasonably large vocabulary, I had to look that one up.

On a Sunday, she was transported to a hospice facility back where we lived. I think they thought she would be with us longer, but she wasn’t the same after that ambulance trip. I don’t know if it was something they gave her to tolerate the trip, something that happened during the trip or just the natural progression of the disease, but she wasn’t as alert as she had been during the stays at the two hospitals.

To bring my post to a close, on a Wednesday afternoon about 5:00 pm in May of 2015, I was holding my wife’s left hand and our son was holding her right hand when she took her last earthly breath. We had been married 30 years, 6 months and 10 days.

Scott, again, I don’t know what to say to you, but from what I’ve been through, I know something to tell those close to you. It’s the same thing I told that son I mentioned earlier when I told him about his Momma’s lung cancer. I told him doctors don’t know it all. They’re not innkeepers. They can’t say exactly when any of us will checkout. I told him his Momma was going to try to beat it and the Lord might let her. I told him that whatever happens, don’t not do or not say something that at some point in the future you might regret not having said or done when you had the chance.

We thought we’d have a little more time than we did and there are a few things I wish I would have said and done that I didn’t.

Fair winds and following seas in your journey Scott.

Champ cscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond repute

Half time update. The Dawgs are playing as good as I feel which is awesome. D is flying and offense is playing well. Keep it up. I am proud of how the guys are playing. I haven't seen this firE under Holtz before.

Big Dog Cory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud of Cory's Avatar

It's looking promising! Scott, you've been in my thoughts this entire game. I hope we get it!

Champ cscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond repute

I am proud of my dawgs. The play calling on O and D not so much. The team is getting better just not good enough. 3 plays changed the game. JMARs int was the biggest the qb run and the hail mary. Too bad. No int and the cocks quit.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Me and my 3 sons started off pregame watching the YouTube video posted earlier in the thread. We talked about the Spirit of 88, and what it meant. Then we watched the game as a family. We prayed for victory for you. Didn't pick my phone up at all. I remembered what 80, RD and others posted, and I held my sons a little closer today, uncertain of what tomorrow might bring. The game score didn't end the way we wanted it to, but there will be more games to be played. Today we lived life, and for my boys, my wife an myself, it was perfect. Thanks to all that contributed to this thread.

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RhinoDawg View Post
    Scott,

I met you briefly in the DAC as I was leaving. I sit on the left side on the front row more or less in front of where you were sitting.

You may not recall, but there was an honorary captain for the Colorado State game on that beautiful crisp November day in 1990. He was 4 years old, completely bald, staring down death, but full of life.

That day, November 17, was his 4th birthday. We asked him a week or two before what kind of party he wanted and without hesitation he said a tailgate birthday party!

Once that was the plan I went to work to try to make it as special as possible. Between regular visits to St. Jude and the other demands of being parents of 3 kids under 4 my wife and I didn't have a lot of time to make big plans for our little man but we knew one thing for certain; David loved football and especially loved the Dogs! We knew we needed to do everything possible to get him a special birthday gameday tailgate experience, so I contacted then-SID Keith Prince and told him what David had requested and how special it would be if we could just get him down on the sidelines around you and the rest of the players, even if only for a little while.

Well, a day or two later Keith called me back and said they just didn't feel it would be safe for him on the sidelines, and my heart began to sink. BUT, he said they also wanted to make it a special day, and as he laid out his plan tears welled up in my eyes, as they had many many times over the past 3 years since his diagnosis of leukemia. A big difference was these were tears of joy, not sorrow, because I could already see in my minds eye the smile this would put on the face of my first born son, who in 4 years had gone through more pain, suffering and life-threatening situations than some folks face in a lifetime. If Keith had been there with me rather than on the phone I'm sure I would have delivered a rib-crushing hug. He was/is truly a Prince.

With the arrangements made, we had our usual tailgate, which back in that day was not much more than a picnic, a far cry from today's affairs. For this day we DID have a great birthday cake made to look like a football field complete with little players from one of those magnetized vibrating football games. After this repast we made our way to The Joe. Shortly thereafter David walked out onto that field, and though very excited, also very business like, with his game face on, understanding he was really getting to do something special, greeted the opposing captains alongside our own, "helped" with the coin toss and went back to the sidelines and gave Tech (not sure what Roman numeral bulldog he was) a pat on the head before heading back up the stairs to the stadium. We all know the rest of the story. You and your teammates gave us all, but especially David, a day we'll never forget. The Dawgs won, the goalposts came down and history was made.

That was David's last birthday. He passed away the following September, on the 27th. This month will mark 26 years. You and you brethren did a helluva job for all us loyal fans that day, and especially for one little 4 year old fan who was convinced y'all hung the moon and painted the stars. I have one more job for you. When you get to the other side, give him a high five for me (he left us before fist bumps became a thing), tell him Momma and Daddy still love him, still go to the games, tailgate just down the hill from where we had his last birthday party and think about him often.

#HBTD #EVERLOYALBE
    Rhino, after I read that, tears were rolling down my face. Our prayers go out to you and your family, as well as Scott and his family.. My roommate at TECH from 1967-1970 and best friend of 46 years died while sitting in the Joe before the Homecoming game on 11-03-2012. On that day we had been at your tailgate and you made us feel like part of your TECH family. I cut up some apples for you and we were able to eat some of your DELICIOUS peach cobbler. You helped make his last day a very enjoyable one. I know I told you this before....thank you so much from me and his family.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

My first post was short and I tried to be as uplifting as I could. All you diehards have forced me to do otherwise with you elegant posts of what can only be TECH loyalty beyond anything I have seen in any group of fans.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Built4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond repute Built4Speed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cscollis View Post
    I am proud of my dawgs. The play calling on O and D not so much. The team is getting better just not good enough. 3 plays changed the game. JMARs int was the biggest the qb run and the hail mary. Too bad. No int and the cocks quit.
    I only know you through this message board, but you've always been a notable one to me. I always paid attention to your posts. Please, no one else take offense. That said, I took this loss especially hard because I was thinking of you and your family at the time. I wanted this one for you. We came up *this* short, but I hope you're proud of the effort the team displayed. I can't fault them for lack of trying. They played really, REALLY well. Just one point short. Football isn't everything, though. I just hope you know that your Team and your Tech Family love you.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your example of bravery and fighting Bulldawg Spirit! My wife had the privilage of sitting next to you and your family, in the DAC at the Miss State game, and was so inspired as we all are as well!
    We are now praying for God's total peace and comfort for you and your family. He will carry your burden.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Scott, will be praying for your family and I know you are making the most of your time. God speed bulldog brother.

Varsity Bulldog collardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to behold collardgreens's Avatar

The Holy Spirit woke me up at 12:30 AM. I NEVER wake up in the middle of the night. It was to find this.

I am praying for you. My name is Chuck. The God of this universe loves you; His Son loves you! You are precious in their sight

In the name of Jesus

Champ latech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know how Scott is doing?

I am doing well even though my white blood cell count is through the roof. My next cold or lack of platelets will be my last. I am in hospice and love the pain killers. I have finished everything to make sure Jackie will be fine.

Other than looking horrible, I still have my sense of humor.

I am hoping to watch a few more dawgs football before I go. Hopefully a few more LSPO losses also.

Big Dog TechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the rough

Forever Loyal Be. 💙🐶😊

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by cscollis View Post
    I still have my sense of humor.

Hopefully a few more LSPO losses also.
    LOL!

I'm hoping for that too

+ Reply to Thread