+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Abraham update

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Jack Abraham update

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Possibly. It became more and more obvious as the season progressed why Abraham pitched a hissy fit and left.
    Abraham may have an Axe to grind with La Tech, and if he is as talented as some of us think he is, not sure I am looking forward to seeing him again on our field.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THEarmada View Post
    Abraham is coming out of this looking like the winner, at least so far.
    Sure is. Abraham wants to come back to Ruston and spank dat azzz.

Considering how bad J'Mar is, I'm still shocked that Holtz let Abraham leave. It's got to be one of the worst transfer exits for us ever.

Champ JDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant future JDubyadawg's Avatar

So many of us really wondered what the heck was going on when Abraham transferred right after Wilson left. He may never be more than a backup at USM but if two years from now he is marching their offense up and down the field at Joe Aillet Stadium that sinking feeling we had when he left will be confirmed.

Isn't the job description of Head Coach in it's most simple form one of personnel management? Hiring good managers (assisitant coaches) to help you in hiring (recruiting) good workers (players). As management you then develop (instruct and train) those who you hired to perform at their peak performance to the benefit of the business (team/university). Granted, these are 18-22 year old men which presents a challenge but we will pay you well to do your job. Do your job.

The Abraham "hire" and failure to even retain that talent may turn out to be one of the chief indicators that the job of management was not being done.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Or...Maybe Abraham is a quitter who couldn't compete here. The guys who were at practice didn't say he was the best...if anything, Wilson was the #2. He's put up good numbers at JUCO, but we've seen our fair share of JUCO superstars who never made a contribution.

USM always kicks our butt anyway, so I don't know what the fuss is.

Higgins is the model. If y'all wanna obsess over a second rate Nick Isham, go ahead.

Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ JDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant future JDubyadawg's Avatar

"Or" isn't the point. Abraham may be like so many of the QB's being recruited these days who have a attitude which says "play me now or I'm outta here". I don't think he is a quitter but we will never know if he had talent that could be developed. For that matter we also don't know about Westin Elliot, Nate Cox, Elijah Walker or some guy named Justin Stolberg. All we know is the J'Mar Smith project. I think we all have a lot of hope that project turns out well next year but hope is not faith.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDubyadawg View Post
    "Or" isn't the point.
    "Or" is this whole thread. We do know he quit. I don't have any ill-will toward the kid, but he left when he didn't think he was treated fairly instead of staying to compete. Given that, I'm not real worried about what he may develop into.

This is like a guy who looks at some stock he sold before it shot up in price. Selling may have been the right call. You can wring your hands over what might have been, but in the end, you've got to trust the process and make the best decision you can with the info available.

I've griped about Skip a lot. I'm not sure what he could've done different with these two guys. If a young guy won't stick around after he doesn't win the job, what are you supposed to do? Sometimes guys weed themselves out and that's okay.

Like I stated, he may never be more than a backup at USM. I know the title of this thread but my larger point is how Skip and his coaches are managing the QB personnel on this roster. All I can really go by is what I have seen on the field. I don't think Sokol and Driskel were quitters but they left their teams to go play at least one year where they fought and earned the job as starter. I do believe it is becoming a trend that the Abraham's of the world aren't waiting around until their Jr. year to transfer.

It's never been easy to recruit and then try to develop these fragile young egos into starting QB's and it's becoming even more so with these guys today in the world where they are given "star" ratings. They also believe in their mind they might have a chance at the NFL. After all these are some of the colleges listed among the current roster of QB's in the pros:

UCF
    Wesley College
    Fresno State
    Southern Miss
    Louisiana Tech
    San Jose State
    Harvard
    Delaware
    Eastern Illinois
    Sam Houston State
    Central Michigan
    Northern Colorado
    Monmouth (IL)
    UAB
    North Dakota State
    Miami (OH)

Quote Originally Posted by JDubyadawg View Post
    Like I stated, he may never be more than a backup at USM. I know the title of this thread but my larger point is how Skip and his coaches are managing the QB personnel on this roster. All I can really go by is what I have seen on the field. I don't think Sokol and Driskel were quitters but they left their teams to go play at least one year where they fought and earned the job as starter. I do believe it is becoming a trend that the Abraham's of the world aren't waiting around until their Jr. year to transfer.

It's never been easy to recruit and then try to develop these fragile young egos into starting QB's and it's becoming even more so with these guys today in the world where they are given "star" ratings. They also believe in their mind they might have a chance at the NFL. After all these are some of the colleges listed among the current roster of QB's in the pros:

UCF
    Wesley College
    Fresno State
    Southern Miss
    Louisiana Tech
    San Jose State
    Harvard
    Delaware
    Eastern Illinois
    Sam Houston State
    Central Michigan
    Northern Colorado
    Monmouth (IL)
    UAB
    North Dakota State
    Miami (OH)
    I agree with you. We'll have to see what happens. Like I said, I don't wish the kid anything but the best. We'll have J'Mar, Walker, and two decent Freshman (if their commitments hold) to go along with Cox and Elliot. Like you said, it's an imprecise science. We've had good ones the past 3 years, but we had quite a drought between Kubik and Cameron. These things come in waves. I'm not sold on J'Mar being unsalvageable. He won't be worse for dealing with a year of adversity. Not sure Price or Jack could've handled the rough combo of WR injuries, OL underperformance, and bizarre coaching calls.

A few years ago, Coach Mick said that we should keep an eye on J'Mar (back before he was a "rockstar"). I still think there's a lot to see out of him. I have a feeling Walker, if healthy, will push the entire position forward.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Higgins is the model. If y'all wanna obsess over a second rate Nick Isham, go ahead.

Oh great......you just game Jack Abraham and Southern Miss serious bulletin board material.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Or...Maybe Abraham is a quitter who couldn't compete here. The guys who were at practice didn't say he was the best...if anything, Wilson was the #2. He's put up good numbers at JUCO, but we've seen our fair share of JUCO superstars who never made a contribution.

USM always kicks our butt anyway, so I don't know what the fuss is.

He didn't "quit". He transferred. There is a difference. And he may be coming for you and your team.

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

J'Mar is not a D-I talent, at least he isn't at QB. Holtz botched this whole affair about as badly as it could have been botched. If he remains so hardheaded that he plays him all year again next year, Holtz will need to go.

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Oh great......you just game Jack Abraham and Southern Miss serious bulletin board material.
    That haven't needed that lately.

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

When you resign from/Quit your job and move onto another job that you feel is better or an advancement in your career, does that make you a quitter? NO, I don't think it does, just an indication that you are wise enough to move on if you are wanting to advance your career and maybe move into a better work environment.

Maybe Price and Abraham were quitters, but you seldom see two QB's move on in the manner and at the time these two did, I don't think they were quitting, just looking for another employer who who would advance them as they earned advancement. They were looking for someone who needed them and would advance them as they earned it, they were pretty confident that would not happen at La Tech, IMHO.

We need a rock star QB, we have said it on here before, this game is all about the QB. I would be willing to see us work with J'mar some more if he were IMPROVING, that's the key, your QB should be improving as the season goes on or at least stagnant, we are stuck in reverse. J'mar lost ground, and not sure if it is a HCSH thing, talent thing, or mental issue, but it is what it is and I think we have had enough on the job training.

I don't know Jack. And, as I've said numerous times, I wish him nothing but the best. What happened here is crystal clear: he wanted to play and he didn't want to sit on the bench. He couldn't win the job, so he quit.

I hope it works out for him.

Looking at JUCO stats and predicting a reckoning seems a little premature.

Y'all enjoy those Isham covers.

Varsity Bulldog SpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant futureSpreadEagle has a brilliant future

This young man will come into a situation where he will have to fight to get the job. A healthy Kwadra Griggs looks to be the man next year. We have a freshman redshirting this year from Miami, Fl that players have raved about. Also, we have a recruit also from Florida committed that looks good. Abraham will be in Spring practice this year, so we will see how he looks against Griggs and Rodriguez. Based on his Tech situation, I am not sold on him yet.

+ Reply to Thread