+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: 100% on Holtz

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Re: 100% on Holtz

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    On that last play (3rd & 5 from the 10) before our final FG, I would have run a "Play Action Bootleg Pass/Run" play. The play action would make the LB's bite in the middle. The bootleg would have given J'Mar the option to survey the field while running the ball from a rollout position (something I've been harping on for weeks). At worst he throws the ball into the stands, and we still kick the FG. At best he walks in for an easy TD --or at least the 1st down-- and Dawgs win the game.

It's the prefect play for beating 9 in a box.
    I think you are misstating the worst case scenario.

The worst case scenario would be what happened the previous time J'mar rolled out of the pocket and made a pass.

Big Dog BearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud of

Pardon my honesty for saying so, but your analysis makes no sense. It's not a choice between winning a P5 game and losing all your other games. That's ridiculous. If you win the P5 games, you'll likely win most (if not all) of your games against G5's as well.

You can get all hot and bothered about played G5's in bowl games if you want, but playing G5's in bowl games just doesn't do it for me. And I live what I preach. I wouldn't have missed the HOD bowl in 2014, simply because we were playing Illinois. I bought 10 tickets to that game and I ended up putting butts in every seat. I invited neighbors, friends.....you name it. I was THAT excited.

On the other hand, I didn't even try to attend the NO Bowl in 2015, because I just don't care about playing Arkansas St. Yes, I'm glad LA Tech won the game --and I watched it on TV-- but I had ZERO interest in going to all the trouble and expense to watch Tech play a Sunbelt team, Arkansas St. It just didn't interest me. And I have no regrets at all.

Last year's Armed Forces Bowl was a little different. That's a G5 program I would have really enjoyed seeing Tech play. (There are some.) And the game was in a town that I really like (Ft Worth). But I had some scheduling issues that prevented me from being able to attend last year.
    You never answered the question. Would you rather have a year like Luke McCown's last two (winning against two Money 5 teams but not winning enough to be bowl eligible, i.e. 0.500), or be competitive in the Money 5 games yet make a bowl? Your reaction, meltdown seems like it to me, makes it look like you would prefer the former. I want to win them all, but I'm not going to die if we lose, yet are competitive against a money 5

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BearDawg137 View Post
    You never answered the question. Would you rather have a year like Luke McCown's last two (winning against two Money 5 teams but not winning enough to be bowl eligible, i.e. 0.500), or be competitive in the Money 5 games yet make a bowl? Your reaction, meltdown seems like it to me, makes it look like you would prefer the former. I want to win them all, but I'm not going to die if we lose, yet are competitive against a money 5
    What part about "It's not a choice between winning a P5 game and losing all your other games" did you not understand?

Big Dog BearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud ofBearDawg137 has much to be proud of

What part about "It's not a choice between winning a P5 game and losing all your other games" did you not understand?
    Clearly, you see my point, so I'll just let it stand.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Clearly, you see my point, so I'll just let it stand.
    Clearly you DON'T see my point......so I'll just let it stand.

Clearly you DON'T see my point......so I'll just let it stand.

Cue Champ

Cue Champ
    Thanks.

Thanks.

Then challenge accepted!

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    I think you are misstating the worst case scenario.

The worst case scenario would be what happened the previous time J'mar rolled out of the pocket and made a pass.
    I'm with you and can't go past that one play. It still hurts.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Cue Champ
    No thanks. I just had my first, errr ... exam. The one that men of a certain age are supposed to get anally. I mean, ummm, annually.

Anyway, I'm not feeling very witty today.

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    No thanks. I just had my first, errr ... exam. The one that men of a certain age are supposed to get anally. I mean, ummm, annually.

Anyway, I'm not feeling very witty today.
    LOL! Now THAT'S funny.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Like HD, I don't think you have to make a choice here. We were not bowl eligible in those years because of the brutal schedules involved. But if I had to make a choice I would take the P5 wins. Very few casual fans in our own fanbase or even college football fans around the country remember our final record in those years. You know what they remember? This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da7lpQ_OlM0

Perhaps the biggest win in Southern Miss history was the 1989 game in Jacksonville over No. 6 Florida State behind Brett Favre. Almost nobody remembers the fact they finished the season 5-6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-TIP-rcn9Q

UL-Lafayette's biggest football moment ever - a win over Texas A&M at home - came during a 5-6 season. You know what they remember about that season? This:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvLXi_8GRvs

+ Reply to Thread