+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 43 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Turn Off the NFL

Champ hambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Turn Off the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    The protest has grown to include people protesting the protester's right to protest without being singled out by the most powerful person in the world. This is not North Korea or China or Nazi Germany. A real POTUS would welcome peaceful dissent. Our POTUS (like every president before him, including the most recent) capitalizes on division and making America worse.
    I added to your last statement.. Worth noting.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    You are correct that Kaepernick choosing to kneel instead of sit was originally a compromise and I don't think enough attention is payed to that. I agree that everyone has a different opinion on what is an appropriate form of protest and to my knowledge no one has stated they intended to disrespect the military.

If you are offended you should take a moment to examine what is being protested. We can agree on that. If your protest is met with with animosity, it's probably a good idea to take a moment and listen to the concerns and see if there is a better way to get your message across.
    What is being protested? PLEASE tell me. What are the concerns? PLEASE tell me. If they say that we can have a discussion and find solutions. All they have said is that treat cops the black man unfairly.

Champ hambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post

Like Obama did for 8 years?
    Saw this after posting. You beat me to it.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

What is being protested? PLEASE tell me. What are the concerns? PLEASE tell me. If they say that we can have a discussion and find solutions. All they have said is that treat cops the black man unfairly.
    There isn't a consistent message and it's a big problem with the protest. It's pretty easy to see this as disrespecting the country when the person who started this said:
    "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,"
    It' become different people protesting different things and that's fine because, again, that's their right. It's not a good recipe for achieving anything with your protest though. If you don't have a consistent message and a plan for change, you are just protesting to protest and I think that is basically where we are now.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

We enable bad behavior (and crime) when we make excuses for it. That is evident in news events happening all over this nation every day now.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

There isn't a consistent message and it's a big problem with the protest. It's pretty easy to see this as disrespecting the country when the person who started this said:
    "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,"
    It' become different people protesting different things and that's fine because, again, that's their right. It's not a good recipe for achieving anything with your protest though. If you don't have a consistent message and a plan for change, you are just protesting to protest and I think that is basically where we are now.
    ...while wearing a Castro Tee. The guy was all about hate America and what it represents, but we have posters on this thread who claim this protest is not against our Troops or first responders. That's exactly who they are protesting.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Well stated!
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

...while wearing a Castro Tee. The guy was all about hate America and what it represents, but we have posters on this thread who claim this protest is not against our Troops or first responders. That's exactly who they are protesting.
    Exactly. I can excuse him not saying things exactly the right way because he is young and we all misspeak at times. Maybe he wore the (was it Castro or Che Guevara) shirt because of ignorance or as another form of protest. Either way at some point you have to evaluate if your message is still being conveyed.

To steal and twist an example from the CUSA board:
    If I decide to protest the treatment of the North Korean people at the hands of Kim Jong Un by protesting outside the local Tae Kwon Do tournament in a KKK uniform I'm probably not going to get the reaction I want. Even though a lot of people might agree with me (many in that TKD tournament even) my choice of protest is going to overshadow my message. Doesn't really matter if I tell people the KKK garb isn't meant to offend anyone. The fact is that it does by it's very nature. Let alone the fact that the TKD tournament doesn't have any power to help my cause.
    Probably something like 99% of Americans would agree with my cause, but if I choose something that will definitely offend people in an effort to get attention, I shouldn't be shocked when I offend people.

By choosing to protest the way that he did, he alienated people on both sides of the isle who may otherwise have supported him and listened to him. They can say it's not about the military or the country until they are blue in the face, but the fact is that many people see it that way and probably will continue to see it that way.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hambone29 View Post
    I added to your last statement.. Worth noting.
    Yeah, and it is right to crticize Obama for it. That does not excuse Trump.

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

My name is Jerry Jones and I believe police officers are shooting innocent black people just for the hell of it. BUT, I am patriotic so I'm going to stand up now . . .

Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post

My name is Jerry Jones and I believe police officers are shooting innocent black people just for the hell of it. BUT, I am patriotic so I'm going to stand up now . . .

Exactly. Jones has always been a POS!

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

This whole thing is a giant celebration of the first amendment.
    Players kneel for anthem and no one gets arrested! First Amendment !!!
    Fans boo to show their displeasure with the protest and no one gets arrested! First Amendment!!!
    President expresses his opinion on the matter and no one gets arrested! First Amendment!!!
    Players criticize the president and no one gets arrested! First Amendment!!!!
    Fans argue on message board and no one gets arrested! First Amendment!!!

Even fans who say the players should be arrested for disrespecting the flag are exercising their first amendment rights.
    When Trump starts ordering the players to be arrested for their peaceful protest, then we can talk about losing respect for the first amendment. That's not happening and it's not even close to happening. People voicing their displeasure over the protest is not violating anyone's first amendment right. Suggesting they shouldn't protest isn't violating their first amendment right. To say that it is is misleading and unhelpful at best and intentionally deceitful at worst.
    I don't think French ever says that losing respect for the first amendment is the same as violating it...only that he it is a troubling trend. I also believe that there is a difference between individuals and government officials. None of the football players can sign executive orders or command military units. Thus, free speech from the President can often feel like intimidation.

Do you find our trends troubling? Do you buy his argument that both sides of the isle only seem to value the first amendment when it is used to express opinions we agree with? In my opinion, we have far less tolerance for differing opinions. We can't hear and disagree, we want to silence. I believe the dems set the table for this and the gop doubled down. Victory for "our" tribe seems to have eclipsed our desire for a truly great America for all of her citizens.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

In the work place you basically have NO first amendment rights without consequences based on your employer's rules/procedures in their handbook and guidelines -

You do outside of the workplace...
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    In the work place you basically have NO first amendment rights without consequences based on your employer's rules/procedures in their handbook and guidelines -

You do outside of the workplace...
    The players employers seem to be behind them 100%.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

+ Reply to Thread