+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 110 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Systemic Racism?

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Re: What is Systemic Racism?

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Okay, let's encourage the government to just keep doing more of the same. They've done a great job with education and other social issues over past 50 years. Reparations are certainly in order. How much will fix the problem? Surely a number can be put on slavery. Shall we keep that number as an open line of credit?
    Well, you got slavery and then another 100 years of overt discrimination and then more years of a little less overt discrimination, etc., so the number would be far greater than what you could expect even a couple generations pay.

That is not something I am advocating.

I am advocating that we at least recognize and agree there is systemic racism as defined in this thread. That would be a good start. Then we could all focus a bit more on how to address that particular problem in a way that is practical, reasonable, and not unduly burdensome on people that are not responsible for the systemic racism.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

It just occurred to me that Obama being elected to two terms was a result of systemic racism.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

It just occurred to me that Obama being elected to two terms was a result of systemic racism.
    Kind of depressing that we now look back on that awful presidency as “the good old days.”

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Kind of depressing that we now look back on that awful presidency as “the good old days.”
    It will get worse before it gets better for you swamp dwellers. Might as well move to Cuba now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    It will get worse before it gets better for you swamp dwellers. Might as well move to Cuba now.
    Swamps are useful. Trump is not.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Been on vacation and not thinking about systemic racism/inequality/disadvantage and it's been glorious.

I'll try to catch up on what I missed. At a cursory glance, I think education, voting, and marriage are symptoms of the larger issue...economics. Particularly, how wealth is built, expanded, and passed down. It is here that the black community has been most disproportionately disadvantaged and it drives the "symptom" issues.
    Last edited by johnnylightnin; 10-20-2017 at 03:01 PM.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

The marriage rate of Hispanics is much closer to that of whites. How do we explain that?
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Been on vacation and not thinking about systemic racism/inequality/disadvantage and it's been glorious.

I'll try to catch up on what I missed. At a cursory glance, I think education, voting, and marriage are symptoms of the larger issue...economics. Particularly, how wealth is build, expanded, and passed down. It is here that the black community has been most disproportionately disadvantaged and it drives the "symptom" issues.
    I agree with economics being a large issue and related to a lot of what is discussed. I also think culture is entangled in that as well. I think our culture as a country accounts for a lot of the problems we face including poverty, healthcare costs, education, marriage, single parent families, etc. I think our culture and values have eroded and continue to erode. I think a lot of that is reflected in our politics as well.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    I agree with economics being a large issue and related to a lot of what is discussed. I also think culture is entangled in that as well. I think our culture as a country accounts for a lot of the problems we face including poverty, healthcare costs, education, marriage, single parent families, etc. I think our culture and values have eroded and continue to erode. I think a lot of that is reflected in our politics as well.
    Yep. We lost our way somewhere along the line.
    Good old Memorial Gym

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    i don't know if you're addressing me with this or not, but that is not the claim i was making. if there truly is racism, we need to discuss it and the ways to stop it. unfortunately, the evidence for this racism is based mostly on anecdotes, feelings, and deceptive statistics. we don't need absolute solutions to discuss it, but we do need specific examples.
    Hey Bob,

I wasn't addressing you specifically, but that is a sentiment that I've read here on the board. I think it's very prevalent and I understand why. I think the specific examples are numerous for systemic disadvantage or whatever you and Brian think is an acceptable term, but that's a very narrow way to view the "issue". I understand the call for specific examples, but sometimes the sum is greater than the parts.

As I've said before, money is the root of all of this because politics is power and you don't have political access without money. An entire race was forced to spend a quarter millennium working to enrich someone else. Just as Brian said, the race started, but they weren't not yet allowed to run. Great wealth was amassed over those centuries and one race was prohibited from enjoying the fruits of their own labor. Not only that, but they couldn't vote for another 50 years.

So, you've got roughly 150 years of our nation's history where there was NO political advantage in advocating or representing black folks. Because they were 250 years behind in accumulating wealth, they couldn't use their money to obtain advocacy. Even now, most of their advocates are hucksters who use them for their votes (the way the GOP uses white Christians for theirs). The result has been that they are disproportionately represented in the ranks of the impoverished.

To me, it seems you have to close your eyes and your ears not to acknowledge how our history has disadvantaged the black population at a much higher rate than any other race.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    The marriage rate of Hispanics is much closer to that of whites. How do we explain that?
    I've got some ideas. What do you think?

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Uab Re: What is Systemic Racism?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post

So, you've got roughly 150 years of our nation's history where there was NO political advantage in advocating or representing black folks. Because they were 250 years behind in accumulating wealth, they couldn't use their money to obtain advocacy. Even now, most of their advocates are hucksters who use them for their votes (the way the GOP uses white Christians for theirs). The result has been that they are disproportionately represented in the ranks of the impoverished.
    This is undeniable.

And the impoverished are sometimes steamrolled by various processes in America. For instance, assume that you are incorrectly identified by someone as a participant in a crime; and an impoverished (black or white) person is likewise charged. You both can prove you were not involved, and in the trial phase - 9 months later - you are both vindicated completely (you with your paid-for lawyer, the impoverished with a court-appointed attorney). Seems like all is well and good with the justice system.

But, you were able to visit a bail bondsman and pay the $1000 to get out of county jail while you awaited trial. The impoverished person spent the entire 9 months in jail, lost their job, and had their possessions repossessed by the loan companies. Your life continues as it always had while theirs has to be rebuilt from scratch.

Granted, it wasn't "racism" that caused this injustice, but it's hard to argue that a black impoverished person was not in that position because of past racism.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

You nailed it!!!

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DawgyNWindow View Post

Granted, it wasn't "racism" that caused this injustice, but it's hard to argue that a black impoverished person was not in that position because of past racism.
    White impoverished people are in the same boat as black impoverished. My point remains that it has nothing to do with race or what happened over 200 years ago. Blaming slavery is an excuse that will keep on giving for another 200 years.

White impoverished people are in the same boat as black impoverished.
    You're missing the point. There are a disproportionate amount of blacks that are impoverished.

+ Reply to Thread