+ Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 110 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Systemic Racism?

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Re: What is Systemic Racism?

Quote Originally Posted by LATechBanjo View Post
    They are synonyms as I understand it.
    From the same article:

“The theory of systemic racism accounts for individual, institutional, and structural forms of racism.”

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Yeah, I have done the implicit bias tests on that site. Oddly, I favor Jews over other religions despite having minimal exposure to Jewish people.
    Jews are a race, not a religion.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Jews are a race, not a religion.
    Right, remember how I confessed to minimal exposure? Judaism is what I should have said.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Right, remember how I confessed to minimal exposure? Judaism is what I should have said.
    Judaism is not a religion either as defined by their God.

Judaism is not a religion either as defined by their God.
    It is all the same to me, which is why I was surprised that I have an implicit bias towards Judaism over Christianity and Islam.

It is all the same to me, which is why I was surprised that I have an implicit bias towards Judaism over Christianity and Islam.
    You don't get to define or favor something you don't believe in.

You don't get to define or favor something you don't believe in.
    You can still have relative implicit bias. You should try some of the tests. I also have a slight bias towards old over young.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Well, I can’t answer the question for your job, but my sense is that those attributes would make it more challenging in most professional spaces in the US.

But logically and objectively should it?

And would you say that someone having those attributes (assuming they were permanent whether by choice or some other) has the same “opportunity” as someone that doesn’t?
    logically, it shouldn't. it also shouldn't, logically, matter whether someone wears flowered shorts to work or dress slacks. but it does. and there's nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    logically, it shouldn't. it also shouldn't, logically, matter whether someone wears flowered shorts to work or dress slacks. but it does. and there's nothing wrong with that.
    Not unless the only clothes you have available to you (for whatever reason) are flowered shorts.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

You can still have relative implicit bias. You should try some of the tests. I also have a slight bias towards old over young.
    i did try one. maybe i started with the wrong one. it asked me a bunch of questions in which i voluntarily revealed that i strongly favor Christianity, then the test showed me (wait for it...) that i have a strong bias toward Christianity over islam.

Not unless the only clothes you have available to you (for whatever reason) are flowered shorts.
    i think therein lies the problem with your thinking (unless you are going somewhere with this that i am not following so far). things like face tattoos, dreadlocks, and flowered shorts are things that people can easily avoid if they are concerned about being perceived as a professional. there are plenty of people who choose to take the professional risk for the sake of a fashion statement, but it is a choice.

a person can't control the color of their skin, or any other genetic factor, so it is clearly unjust to judge a person on that basis (i'm sure we all unconsciously judge others a little bit based on how much we perceive them to be like us, but as long as we are aware of that innate tendency and are careful, we should be able to avoid doing any harm by it). a person also can't control the culture they grew up in, but they can control what parts of that culture they carry into their professional life. for example, i use a slightly different accent and dialect (mostly unconsciously) when i am at work than i do when i am talking to my friends from back home in arkansas, and i certainly dress differently than i would back home. does that mean that my big-city workplace is biased against rural arkansas culture? probably so. is there anything wrong with that? i don't think so.

i think therein lies the problem with your thinking (unless you are going somewhere with this that i am not following so far). things like face tattoos, dreadlocks, and flowered shorts are things that people can easily avoid if they are concerned about being perceived as a professional. there are plenty of people who choose to take the professional risk for the sake of a fashion statement, but it is a choice.

a person can't control the color of their skin, or any other genetic factor, so it is clearly unjust to judge a person on that basis (i'm sure we all unconsciously judge others a little bit based on how much we perceive them to be like us, but as long as we are aware of that innate tendency and are careful, we should be able to avoid doing any harm by it). a person also can't control the culture they grew up in, but they can control what parts of that culture they carry into their professional life. for example, i use a slightly different accent and dialect (mostly unconsciously) when i am at work than i do when i am talking to my friends from back home in arkansas, and i certainly dress differently than i would back home. does that mean that my big-city workplace is biased against rural arkansas culture? probably so. is there anything wrong with that? i don't think so.
    What racial culture most strongly influences the work place culture?

What racial culture most strongly influences the work place culture?
    since this is clearly a rhetorical question, what is wrong with a workplace culture that is influenced more strongly by the culture most associated with a given race?

since this is clearly a rhetorical question, what is wrong with a workplace culture that is influenced more strongly by the culture most associated with a given race?
    Just wondered if it was? The follow up question would be, “why is it that way?”

And also, do you think you would be equally positioned to be successful if your professional work environment was representative of black culture?

+ Reply to Thread