+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 110 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: What is Systemic Racism?

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Re: What is Systemic Racism?

Imagine that! More babies born out of wedlock because more women choosing to remain single. Who'd a thunk.

And fewer women choosing to have babies. Well, that's interesting, but those that do are still doing it out of wedlock.

The statistics for poverty and incarceration are directly tied to single parent homes and lack of education. These are fixable.

The white community is dealing with this stuff too. What else could you expect when the Jenner/Kardashian freak show is the new normal.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DawgyNWindow View Post
    Imagine that! More babies born out of wedlock because more women choosing to remain single. Who'd a thunk.

And fewer women choosing to have babies. Well, that's interesting, but those that do are still doing it out of wedlock.

The statistics for poverty and incarceration are directly tied to single parent homes and lack of education. These are fixable.

The white community is dealing with this stuff too. What else could you expect when the Jenner/Kardashian freak show is the new normal.
    It is a socioeconomic thing - not a black thing.

http://harvardmagazine.com/2012/07/w...beats-marriage

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    It is a socioeconomic thing - not a black thing.

http://harvardmagazine.com/2012/07/w...beats-marriage
    Sounds like we agree on this.

I think focusing on a false narrative (BLM police shootings, etc) and only serves to distract them from achieving economic equality and perpetuates their misery.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DawgyNWindow View Post
    Sounds like we agree on this.

I think focusing on a false narrative (BLM police shootings, etc) and only serves to distract them from achieving economic equality and perpetuates their misery.
    I was talking about the babies out of wedlock phenomenon. Why are POC disproportionately in this socioeconomic situation in the first place?

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

I was "privileged" to grow up in a home with a female mother and a male father, who made very little money, worked hard to provide for us, and did the best they could. My father came from a large family who had almost nothing growing up. But he had a female mother and a male father in the home with him, who loved their kids and did they best they could. In the small town where I lived, most kids, black and white, had two parents in the home, caring for them. The breakdown of the family then began (and has now reached ridiculously low levels none of us could have ever imagined) and our nation has been on a steady decline ever since.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    I was "privileged" to grow up in a home with a female mother and a male father, who made very little money, worked hard to provide for us, and did the best they could. My father came from a large family who had almost nothing growing up. But he had a female mother and a male father in the home with him, who loved their kids and did they best they could. In the small town where I lived, most kids, black and white, had two parents in the home, caring for them. The breakdown of the family then began (and has now reached ridiculously low levels none of us could have ever imagined) and our nation has been on a steady decline ever since.
    You also grew up with the privilege of being white.

And why do you think your specific small town experience fairly extroplates well to larger trends in other communities?

And why do you think it was tied to the heterosexual nature of your parents rather than their supportiveness in general?

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

You also grew up with the privilege of being white.

And why do you think your specific small town experience fairly extroplates well to larger trends in other communities?

And why do you think it was tied to the heterosexual nature of your parents rather than their supportiveness in general?
    Because that was God's clearly-stated plan for all of us.
    Last edited by Tech77; 10-10-2017 at 07:32 PM.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    Because that was God's clearly-stated plan for all of us.
    That reply doesn’t exactly answer any of my questions. Does god not also plan hardship for some of his chosen ones?

What link does hererosexual parenting have on any particular good outcome for someone?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2...e_studies.html

“The Columbia project is the largest collection of peer-reviewed scholarship on gay parenting to date. What does it show? We found 71 studies concluding that kids with gay parents fare no worse than others and only four concluding that they had problems. But those four studies all suffered from the same gross limitation: The children with gay parents were lumped in with children of family breakup, a cohort known to face higher risks linked to the trauma of family dissolution.“

That reply doesn’t exactly answer any of my questions. Does god not also plan hardship for some of his chosen ones?

What link does hererosexual parenting have on any particular good outcome for someone?

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2...e_studies.html

“The Columbia project is the largest collection of peer-reviewed scholarship on gay parenting to date. What does it show? We found 71 studies concluding that kids with gay parents fare no worse than others and only four concluding that they had problems. But those four studies all suffered from the same gross limitation: The children with gay parents were lumped in with children of family breakup, a cohort known to face higher risks linked to the trauma of family dissolution.“
    You lean on your own knowledge for direction. You are a smart man, but you are just a man. I strive to lean on the one who created everything.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

We are talking about “systemic racism” and its corollary “white privilege”. These are not individualized concepts such as individually held beliefs of prejudice or (white guilt). In fact, the very act of attempting to tie the two concepts of prejudice and system racism together is dismissive to the reality of systemic racism/white privilege and perpetuates the “second tier” status that POC face here and elsewhere.

Sure, prejudice remains, but that is not even the main problem that we are talking about. It is the act of pretending that our experiences as white and black Americans that are the same that, in effect, reinforce beliefs that “black culture” are to blame for the very real struggle that POC face. Talking about black culture/breakdown of the family unit/etc sound convincing to white people (and even some black people), but such arguments actually inflict racial stereotypes that fail to account for the very real systemic racism that contributes to the black experience being different from the white privilege we enjoy.

I have had this conversation many times, and I have been on your side of the argument. It takes awhile to start to truly empathize with the plight of POC (at least it did for me). Some of this is an effort to avoid guilt - which is not what you are being asked to do - no guilt is involved. Some is also an affinity to the argument that rural or poor whites also face disadvantage. That is a discussion that we can properly have too - but when you tie it to issue of systemic racism it only serves to perpetuate systemic racism.

Btw, Trump is incapable of undertstanding systemic racism because he has no empathy. He is a psychopath. I don’t expect everyone on BBB to understand either, because there are a few that lack the capacity for true empathy - statistically that has to be true.
    i hope that i did not give the impression that i do not empathize with those who are at a disadvantage. but the residual effects of racism are not the same as racism. if our current systems are unfair in any way, then that is what we need to fix. i just don't think it is helpful to look at it from the perspective of race. if a system is unfair, let's fix the unfairness regardless of the color of the victim. to harp on systemic racism and white privilege is to promote a victim mentality. it also drives a wedge between people of color and the people who are supposed to be perpetuating the systemic racism.

i am glad there are people of color who reject that mentality and want to work in unity toward improving systems that are broken. i will side with them rather than with people who want to blame the world's problems on racism.

Yeah, you still don’t get it, but you are capable of getting it. Again, we are taking about “systemic racism”, and trying to approach the problem from a colorblind position fundamentally promotes systemic racism by denying unique aspects of black heritage (residual effects of overt racism) that still cause racial oppression.

Do you deny that your race has shaped your experience? Would it have been different if you were black?

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

Yeah, you still don’t get it, but you are capable of getting it. Again, we are taking about “systemic racism”, and trying to approach the problem from a colorblind position fundamentally promotes systemic racism by denying unique aspects of black heritage (residual effects of overt racism) that still cause racial oppression.

Do you deny that your race has shaped your experience? Would it have been different if you were black?
    no, i think it is you who do not get it. my life would be different if....
    ...insert any number of conditions, including race, place of birth, character of parents, etc. race is an easy place to draw the line, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

a colorblind position does not fundamentally promote systemic racism if it is not blind to racism in the system. an insistence that everyone accept the notion of systemic racism does promote real racism, and that is the problem that i have here.

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    no, i think it is you who do not get it. my life would be different if....
    ...insert any number of conditions, including race, place of birth, character of parents, etc. race is an easy place to draw the line, but it doesn't tell the whole story.

a colorblind position does not fundamentally promote systemic racism if it is not blind to racism in the system. an insistence that everyone accept the notion of systemic racism does promote real racism, and that is the problem that i have here.
    Sure it does. You are seeing it play out in this very thread and others. The stats presented on black out of birth wedlocks, etc, which are the result of systemic racism, have the effect of promoting racist stereotypes about “inner cities” and black culture, and black-on-black crime. Everytime these get discussed, stereotypes and prejudices get reinforced.

Prejudices are a problem when they cause oppression - white people don't really have to worry about that. So what form of real racism does insisting that people acknowledge the existence of systemic racism cause?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Since you insist on painting with such a broad brush, goosey, I suggest "blacks" reject libtardism as an important first step. Now, there's a system of racism for ya. The democraps destroying black families and creating an entire class of guvmint-dependent people. Began in earnest with LBJ's "great society" socialist crap and continues today with the 'craps' politics of division.

So, you libtards are responsible for whatever woes haunt the black community. And yeah, you white libtards don't have to worry about any of that, now do ya.

Sure it does. You are seeing it play out in this very thread and others. The stats presented on black out of birth wedlocks, etc, which are the result of systemic racism, have the effect of promoting racist stereotypes about “inner cities” and black culture, and black-on-black crime. Everytime these get discussed, stereotypes and prejudices get reinforced.

Prejudices are a problem when they cause oppression - white people don't really have to worry about that. So what form of real racism does insisting that people acknowledge the existence of systemic racism cause?
    you just demonstrated it yourself. why is "black-on-black" crime a statistic? why does color matter in gang violence? would it make a difference if more white people were involved?

the real question is what do you propose to do about this oppression that you see?

+ Reply to Thread