+ Reply to Thread
Page 74 of 110 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 1650

Thread: What is Systemic Racism?

Big Dog MoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the roughMoonPieBlue is a jewel in the rough

Re: What is Systemic Racism?

Quote Originally Posted by turbodawg View Post
    I wasn’t even born.

I’m asking asking for perspective.

How’d Hico elementary go?

But I do ask any of y’all with a memory of LPI’s integration to recount it.
    Thanks for asking, it’s been good remembering some of these times. First let me state some of the names and dates may have been changed due to ‘failing memory’. I’m just recalling from my perspective, I’m certain others I grew up with have a different one.

So, I was raised in Dubach during the 60s, 70s and 80s. At that time Dubach’s population was probably around 1,500 people. I guess it was about 50/50 black to white or maybe 40/60 but there wasn’t a big difference. Not much difference in economic classes, a few people had money, but most were like my parents just working stiffs trying to provide for their families.

Integration occurred when I was in the third grade. Thinking back, my thoughts were probably hey some of the kids with a darker skin color than mine are now at school. Until that time Dubach was segregated with blacks attending a school called Hopewell (I believe). Living in a small town I’d had exposure to blacks, though mainly older ones I’d seen in stores or who worked for some of my friends’ parents. The house I grew up in (and the other house I stayed in with my Great Aunt) were only a good stone’s throw from the quarters (don’t know if that’s now considered a non-PC term but that’s what it was called back then). Both blacks and whites walked and rode bikes past both houses. However, I don’t recall a lot of interaction with blacks of my own age until integration.

Integration did result in the creation of a private school in Dubach called Southland Academy (located in the old Dubach High School building) which lasted a couple of years. I can’t recall anyone I was friends with attending. This also resulted in the founding of Cedar Creek (at least it was around this time). I knew a few people who ended up attending Cedar Creek, though they indicated it was to play football, which Dubach did not have.

During my time at Hico, I think since we were so young when integration occurred there was not a lot of social issues. I remember playing kick-ball with everyone, sitting under the big oak trees, and eating lunch (though we may have segregated in some manner then, not prescribed but by choice). I remember having one fist fight with a black boy and numerous with some white boys. In sixth grade I remember seeing a girl’s bra for the first time when one of the black girls pulled up her shirt to show me she now had to wear one. I don’t recall any major flair ups regarding race but again we were all young and it wasn’t something with which we would have concerned ourselves.

I moved to the High School in the 7th grade (ours had 7 through 12) again no large social issues. I do recall at recess whites and blacks generally separated into separate groups. Most classes were both blacks and whites together, I had 48 in my class, 24 blacks and 24 whites. The only time any racial tension arose was in 10th grade when the school decided all males should have the same PE hour (9th through 12th). During the six weeks of flag football we ended up with 2 mostly black teams, 2 mostly white teams, and one mixed team. There were a lot of on field fights and cheap shots. After two weeks they cancelled flag football.

Senior year we had a school sponsored prom, both black and white. Mostly whites dancing with whites and blacks with blacks but there were a few mixed dances (not of people dating but just because we had known each other for nine years, I don't recall any mixed relationships while I was in school but there were probably a few). We did have separate after prom parties. I was invited to stop by the one being hosted by the black seniors but was dating a Freshman and her father probably would have killed me if I had gone.

I am by no means saying that there wasn’t any issues with race as I’m certain there were whites that disliked blacks and blacks that disliked whites. However, just because a white and black fought it wasn’t necessarily about race. I think some of the reasons for very little issues were living in a small town (most of us knew each other, saw each other out of school, worked with each other at certain times, etc.) and no social media (not immediate access to any issues going on elsewhere, Walter Cronkite told us how it was).

I rarely see or talk to anyone I went to High school with, things just changed. I do at times see and speak to someone I went to school with in Ruston at the grocery store, hospital, or park every now and then. I have very fond memories of having grown up in Dubach with all these fantastic people. Again, thanks for posing the question, the world feels a little better today.

Big Dog BullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the rough BullPupN'46's Avatar

Enjoyed Moon's bio. Thanks

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MoonPieBlue View Post
    Thanks for asking, it’s been good remembering some of these times. First let me state some of the names and dates may have been changed due to ‘failing memory’. I’m just recalling from my perspective, I’m certain others I grew up with have a different one.

So, I was raised in Dubach during the 60s, 70s and 80s. At that time Dubach’s population was probably around 1,500 people. I guess it was about 50/50 black to white or maybe 40/60 but there wasn’t a big difference. Not much difference in economic classes, a few people had money, but most were like my parents just working stiffs trying to provide for their families.

Integration occurred when I was in the third grade. Thinking back, my thoughts were probably hey some of the kids with a darker skin color than mine are now at school. Until that time Dubach was segregated with blacks attending a school called Hopewell (I believe). Living in a small town I’d had exposure to blacks, though mainly older ones I’d seen in stores or who worked for some of my friends’ parents. The house I grew up in (and the other house I stayed in with my Great Aunt) were only a good stone’s throw from the quarters (don’t know if that’s now considered a non-PC term but that’s what it was called back then). Both blacks and whites walked and rode bikes past both houses. However, I don’t recall a lot of interaction with blacks of my own age until integration.

Integration did result in the creation of a private school in Dubach called Southland Academy (located in the old Dubach High School building) which lasted a couple of years. I can’t recall anyone I was friends with attending. This also resulted in the founding of Cedar Creek (at least it was around this time). I knew a few people who ended up attending Cedar Creek, though they indicated it was to play football, which Dubach did not have.

During my time at Hico, I think since we were so young when integration occurred there was not a lot of social issues. I remember playing kick-ball with everyone, sitting under the big oak trees, and eating lunch (though we may have segregated in some manner then, not prescribed but by choice). I remember having one fist fight with a black boy and numerous with some white boys. In sixth grade I remember seeing a girl’s bra for the first time when one of the black girls pulled up her shirt to show me she now had to wear one. I don’t recall any major flair ups regarding race but again we were all young and it wasn’t something with which we would have concerned ourselves.

I moved to the High School in the 7th grade (ours had 7 through 12) again no large social issues. I do recall at recess whites and blacks generally separated into separate groups. Most classes were both blacks and whites together, I had 48 in my class, 24 blacks and 24 whites. The only time any racial tension arose was in 10th grade when the school decided all males should have the same PE hour (9th through 12th). During the six weeks of flag football we ended up with 2 mostly black teams, 2 mostly white teams, and one mixed team. There were a lot of on field fights and cheap shots. After two weeks they cancelled flag football.

Senior year we had a school sponsored prom, both black and white. Mostly whites dancing with whites and blacks with blacks but there were a few mixed dances (not of people dating but just because we had known each other for nine years, I don't recall any mixed relationships while I was in school but there were probably a few). We did have separate after prom parties. I was invited to stop by the one being hosted by the black seniors but was dating a Freshman and her father probably would have killed me if I had gone.

I am by no means saying that there wasn’t any issues with race as I’m certain there were whites that disliked blacks and blacks that disliked whites. However, just because a white and black fought it wasn’t necessarily about race. I think some of the reasons for very little issues were living in a small town (most of us knew each other, saw each other out of school, worked with each other at certain times, etc.) and no social media (not immediate access to any issues going on elsewhere, Walter Cronkite told us how it was).

I rarely see or talk to anyone I went to High school with, things just changed. I do at times see and speak to someone I went to school with in Ruston at the grocery store, hospital, or park every now and then. I have very fond memories of having grown up in Dubach with all these fantastic people. Again, thanks for posing the question, the world feels a little better today.
    What an excellent response and recount. Thank you.

If I weren’t typing with my thumbs on mobile, I’d offer more.

It reminds me of a story my papaw told me about growing up and going to to school in the darkest days of the Depression. He was proud late in his life of his commonality and friendships with his black neighbors.

We were all poor, he said. No difference past that.

Thanks again. Appreciate you.

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar

WND. Thanks for that contribution...

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I think this belongs here:https://www.npr.org/2020/07/09/889562040/supreme-court-rules-that-about-half-of-oklahoma-is-indian-land

G
    orsuch's opinion should be required reading. Here's the best bit:

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsuch
    Under our Constitution, States have no authority to reduce federal reservations lying within their borders. Justimagine if they did. A State could encroach on the tribal
    boundaries or legal rights Congress provided, and, with
    enough time and patience, nullify the promises made in the
    name of the United States. That would be at odds with the
    Constitution, which entrusts Congress with the authority
    to regulate commerce with Native Americans, and directs
    that federal treaties and statutes are the “supreme Law of
    the Land.” Art. I, §8; Art. VI, cl. 2. It would also leave tribal
    rights in the hands of the very neighbors who might be least
    inclined to respect them.
    Likewise, courts have no proper role in the adjustment of
    reservation borders. Mustering the broad social consensus
    required to pass new legislation is a deliberately hard business under our Constitution. Faced with this daunting
    task, Congress sometimes might wish an inconvenient reservation would simply disappear. Short of that, legislators
    might seek to pass laws that tiptoe to the edge of disestablishment and hope that judges—facing no possibility of electoral consequences themselves—will deliver the final push.
    But wishes don’t make for laws, and saving the political
    branches the embarrassment of disestablishing a reservation is not one of our constitutionally assigned prerogatives.
    “[O]nly Congress can divest a reservation of its land anddiminish its boundaries.” Solem, 465 U. S., at 470. So it’s
    no matter how many other promises to a tribe the federal
    government has already broken. If Congress wishes to
    break the promise of a reservation, it must say so.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

That it? "thanks for that contribution." I don't have to ask "can you imagine the uproar with a reversal" because we all can very much imagine the uproar. You will also note how LOUD the silence is from our resident libtards...and you all know who they are.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

You have to be brainless to read WND.

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    You have to be brainless to read WND.
    And the snowflake coward is holding his breath in the corner again until he gets his way.

Was it a legitimate quote or not? Just because most of the other "news" outlets are afraid to report on this kind of stuff doesn't make it untrue. You are a fascist in the truest sense of the word.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DawgyNWindow View Post
    And the snowflake coward is holding his breath in the corner again until he gets his way.

Was it a legitimate quote or not? Just because most of the other "news" outlets are afraid to report on this kind of stuff doesn't make it untrue. You are a fascist in the truest sense of the word.
    Not going to waste my time with WND to research. It is presumptively false until you find it elsewhere. Didn’t even read the link.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

The truth is important. We don’t believe in erasing history.

Varsity Bulldog Bulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to behold

Not going to waste my time with WND to research. It is presumptively false until you find it elsewhere. Didn’t even read the link.
    Kind of like CNN, huh?

I just had a lunch meeting with some very liberal, and I mean VERY liberal, anti-Trump, America-sucks types. But, I have always been able to get along with them. Usually when the topic gets too political we agree to disagree and change the subject. They are business associates, insomuch as they are clients, sometimes partners in endeavors, and always interested in discussing investment opportunities, etc..I set the stage purposely so you can better understand why I am troubled by what I now believe is going to happen. Well, first, one of them is running for public office and asked for my support, knowing we differ on "the big issues" but hoping I would support him/her because we have a relationship of sorts, professionally anyway. I smiled, nodded, and just said "Oh, that's interesting..." and few other things, but I never committed one way or the other.

There is no middle ground, no common ground where a compromise can be/will be worked out. Just listening to these very liberal, and otherwise well-educated, and "smart" in so many ways, people and their determined desire to see "real" change in this country.... real = commie radical...I no longer think we will move past this without massive "blood in the streets." One side or the other will not tolerate losing a philosophical battle and simply accepting the results. More than likely the trigger will be the POTUS election in November. If Trump wins, the killing starts that day. If Biden wins, true American patriots will probably wait to see if, and how far, left Biden is willing to go. If Biden turns out to be like so many others...making all these radical lefty promises, but never delivering on them, then maybe, peace will prevail. But if Biden is merely the puppet many think he will be and Soros et al starts manipulating matters, then yes, the shooting will start. It'll only take a spark to ignite this powder keg we are sitting on and ultimately it won't matter which side started it because it's going to be bad for everyone. You won't be worrying about the toilet paper supply at the local store....

Of course, I hope I am wrong. I want to be wrong. Folks have no idea what will happen if we have a true (this time) civil war. And that is part of the problem, too many people are clueless what a civil war will do to this country, to the whole world. The entire globe will be plunged into utter anarchy and chaos and every nation will be at war, with other countries and/or itself. Hundreds of millions will perish.

As an acquaintance said to me recently, right now there are those who are stretching the giant rubber band, back, back, back...and the other side is warning, that is enough. When that rubber band pops...

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

The perfect example of the snowflake hear and read nothing but their own BS intolerant leftist. I try to read both sides even though it’s hard to stomach the Marxist/Socialist rants and spins.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I just had a lunch meeting with some very liberal, and I mean VERY liberal, anti-Trump, America-sucks types. But, I have always been able to get along with them. Usually when the topic gets too political we agree to disagree and change the subject. They are business associates, insomuch as they are clients, sometimes partners in endeavors, and always interested in discussing investment opportunities, etc..I set the stage purposely so you can better understand why I am troubled by what I now believe is going to happen. Well, first, one of them is running for public office and asked for my support, knowing we differ on "the big issues" but hoping I would support him/her because we have a relationship of sorts, professionally anyway. I smiled, nodded, and just said "Oh, that's interesting..." and few other things, but I never committed one way or the other.

There is no middle ground, no common ground where a compromise can be/will be worked out. Just listening to these very liberal, and otherwise well-educated, and "smart" in so many ways, people and their determined desire to see "real" change in this country.... real = commie radical...I no longer think we will move past this without massive "blood in the streets." One side or the other will not tolerate losing a philosophical battle and simply accepting the results. More than likely the trigger will be the POTUS election in November. If Trump wins, the killing starts that day. If Biden wins, true American patriots will probably wait to see if, and how far, left Biden is willing to go. If Biden turns out to be like so many others...making all these radical lefty promises, but never delivering on them, then maybe, peace will prevail. But if Biden is merely the puppet many think he will be and Soros et al starts manipulating matters, then yes, the shooting will start. It'll only take a spark to ignite this powder keg we are sitting on and ultimately it won't matter which side started it because it's going to be bad for everyone. You won't be worrying about the toilet paper supply at the local store....

Of course, I hope I am wrong. I want to be wrong. Folks have no idea what will happen if we have a true (this time) civil war. And that is part of the problem, too many people are clueless what a civil war will do to this country, to the whole world. The entire globe will be plunged into utter anarchy and chaos and every nation will be at war, with other countries and/or itself. Hundreds of millions will perish.

As an acquaintance said to me recently, right now there are those who are stretching the giant rubber band, back, back, back...and the other side is warning, that is enough. When that rubber band pops...
    That is being heard here in Texas as well. The Marxist Bernie Bro’s with the BLM are insane and intolerant of true dialogue now much less when they lose in November.

+ Reply to Thread