+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tech ruins Hide Away Park tailgating

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Re: Tech ruins Hide Away Park tailgating

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Students, not alumni. It saddens me that a former journalist lacks reading comprehension skills.
    The guy literally started his tweet with "as a former alumni" so before you attack my reading comprehension skills, how about you work on yours.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    You think Sam called the ATF cause he hates Greeks so much?

We know Sam has been in his position for a long time...the entire time that there has been a great atmosphere in hideaway park.

So, given what we know and some possibly biased feelings about Sam, I think we can put it all together:
    1. Sam develops great Greek tradition in Hideaway.
    2. Once he has the Greeks right where he wants them (all happy and stuff), he decides to piss them off just because he's that kind of guy.
    3. This is just step one in his evil plan to rid Tech of all the Greek life except his pet Frat.
    What a shame his evil genius set on the shelf for decades just waiting for the perfect time! He could've been steeling so much more joy had he worked harder these past 20+ years.
    Ridiculous assumptions on your part .

You said we didn't know. I simply stated what we do know.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Ridiculous assumptions on your part .
    Thank goodness, I couldn't make them any more ridiculous. I think, if you're looking for a boogie man, the AD makes more sense than Speed. Speed has been at his post a while and an about face doesn't make much sense.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    The guy literally started his tweet with "as a former alumni" so before you attack my reading comprehension skills, how about you work on yours.
    You quoted the poster. He did not say it, but that was inferred from your post.

Varsity Bulldog Jacksonian is a jewel in the roughJacksonian is a jewel in the roughJacksonian is a jewel in the roughJacksonian is a jewel in the roughJacksonian is a jewel in the roughJacksonian is a jewel in the roughJacksonian is a jewel in the roughJacksonian is a jewel in the roughJacksonian is a jewel in the roughJacksonian is a jewel in the roughJacksonian is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    So what is the real complaint from the Greeks?
    From the guys I spoke with, there's a new rule saying you have to be setup by 8 AM in Hideaway. After 8 AM the only thing in or out is people. No food, drinks, grills, tents, etc. can be brought in after 8. It's unrealistic for most fans to have their entire tailgate ready to go at 8 AM, much less students. So they don't want to tailgate in Hideaway because it's entirely too difficult.

I see this as a problem for two reasons:
    1) It takes away the fun environment that students previously enjoyed with Greek tailgates, bands, etc.
    2) It means many of those students will try to carpool to the game instead of walk. At that point it creates a safety issue.

Thank goodness, I couldn't make them any more ridiculous. I think, if you're looking for a boogie man, the AD makes more sense than Speed. Speed has been at his post a while and an about face doesn't make much sense.
    I never accused him of being the bad guy in the typical McClelland cluster. Maybe you assumed I thought that since my earlier post about him did not agree with some you've heard who praise him.

"My two encounters with Speed were not favorable, but he seems to have his bosses believing that he is good at his job. Not surprising"

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

We know what had been a great atmosphere in the park was non-existent yesterday. We know that student attendance was off from past games yesterday. We know most of the ones who attended left at the half.

We know that Sam Speed is the Tech employee who works with the greeks.
    Nah, it's because he was listed as the final fact here.

If the other posters are right, this likely has nothing to do with Speed. Sounds like our new tailgating policy has been extended to everyone. I'm not in favor of it.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

The 8am rule is absurd. In order to have enough guys to set up, we had to get guys out after football on Friday night. I never thought there were issues with morning setup for evening games. Maybe for a noon or 2pm kick, but not 6pm.

If the other posters are right, this likely has nothing to do with Speed. Sounds like our new tailgating policy has been extended to everyone. I'm not in favor of it.
    You were right in that we don't know yet. Tech people are spinning it to say that it was an indirect warning from ATC. When they spoke to or sent letters of warning to the Greeks the Greeks decided not to participate. If true, this was not handled well at all. You don't just remove such a large part of your game day activities. The 8:00am rule had been worked around by the Greeks for NSU and Miss State. It is a stupid, unreasonable rule, but our AD made it and he has never backed off his ineptness before.

Varsity Bulldog Jacksonian is a jewel in the roughJacksonian is a jewel in the roughJacksonian is a jewel in the roughJacksonian is a jewel in the roughJacksonian is a jewel in the roughJacksonian is a jewel in the roughJacksonian is a jewel in the roughJacksonian is a jewel in the roughJacksonian is a jewel in the roughJacksonian is a jewel in the roughJacksonian is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    The 8am rule is absurd. In order to have enough guys to set up, we had to get guys out after football on Friday night. I never thought there were issues with morning setup for evening games. Maybe for a noon or 2pm kick, but not 6pm.
    Who do we need to contact to complain about the 8AM rule?

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksonian View Post
    Who do we need to contact to complain about the 8AM rule?
    As always, flood as many email addresses as you can find. Athletic Dept, Admin, everyone!

Varsity Bulldog ETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of light ETxBullDawg's Avatar

JL, i have a kid in the greek program and have had discussions regarding the situation and over reaction to lsu’s mess and how new rules are affecting our students. I stand by earlier statement that Speed is a problem within the greek organizations on Tech’s campus. The damage is done, i dont think they will be back to hideaway anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ETxBullDawg View Post
    JL, i have a kid in the greek program and have had discussions regarding the situation and over reaction to lsu’s mess and how new rules are affecting our students. I stand by earlier statement that Speed is a problem within the greek organizations on Tech’s campus. The damage is done, i dont think they will be back to hideaway anytime soon.
    Whether Speed is a problem and whether Speed is this problem are two different issues. As the guy who interacts most with the Greeks, it is unsurprising that the see the guy who carries out the rules as a problem.

That said, if he is the problem here, by all means, let us know. I'll be glad to send an e-mail or join the protest as soon as I know what's going on.

Varsity Bulldog ETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of lightETxBullDawg is a glorious beacon of light ETxBullDawg's Avatar

Whether Speed is a problem and whether Speed is this problem are two different issues. As the guy who interacts most with the Greeks, it is unsurprising that the see the guy who carries out the rules as a problem.

That said, if he is the problem here, by all means, let us know. I'll be glad to send an e-mail or join the protest as soon as I know what's going on.
    Our groups have been well behaved in Hideaway, so for Speed to come in and suddenly threaten them with sanctions including social probation/suspension and mip tickets etc in response to a hazing mess that happened at another school doesn’t sit well with our young adults. Maybe 10+ years in a position like this is too long. May need to look at a reassignment for him and a put a fresh face working with our groups. Problems/issues are real and deep rooted. Sorry to dig our your friend, I am just a voice for my student and their group’s interactions with Mr Speed and his attitude towards them. Fyi i was told they do like his assistant and enjoy working with him on issues.

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    Dude, Sam Speed has been working at Tech for two decades or longer. The guy bleeds blue. If you have a problem with Sam Speed, the problem is probably you.
    I bleed blue too as a former student, alumni for 30 years, current parent of Tech students, financial booster, scholarship provider. Don’t assume because you are butthurt about me calling out your ass bud that I am the problem.

+ Reply to Thread