+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Positives from S. Alabama Game

Hybrid View

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Positives from S. Alabama Game

First, happy birthday to #99 DT Keonatye Garner. Garner batted down two passes and nearly got two more yesterday! I'll bet we had only two batted down passes by a DT in all of last season! They were killing us with that slant pass over the middle, but Garner was certainly trying to stop some of it.

#8 DaMarion King had a good day. He brought the lumber on several hits.

Also, #65 Fr-RS LG Kody Russey did well filling in for O'Shea Dugas. Russey had at least one pancake block and consistently handled their DT.

J'Mar had 300+ passing and 3 TDs with no INTs.

Champ louisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the roughlouisiana_dog is a jewel in the rough

Re: Positives from S. Alabama Game

We are still a grinding team, which I love. Kam is getting more involved. The young WRs are helping a bit - the talent is there. Blocking on the edge.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Holtz has got to figure out a way to shorten the field for Tech. Last night LA Tech had an average starting field position of their own 13-yard line for 7 consecutive drives. This includes the last 2 drives of the first half and the first 5 drives of the 2nd half.

Almost all of Tech's scoring drives came on drives shorter than 70 yards. Here's where Tech's "successful" drives started:

Started Result
    Tech 31 Touchdown
    Tech 38 Touchdown
    Tech 42 FG
    Tech 19 Missed FG
    Tech 10 Touchdown
    Tech 11 FG
    USA 27 Touchdown

Of course, there were also the 7 Tech drives in the middle of the game where we were awful. Those were the drives where Tech averaged starting from its' own 13-yd line.

The message here is clear...LA Tech has a much higher propensity to score points when it starts a drive from its' own 30-yd line or better.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Holtz has got to figure out a way to shorten the field for Tech. Last night LA Tech had an average starting field position of their own 13-yard line for 7 consecutive drives. This includes the last 2 drives of the first half and the first 5 drives of the 2nd half.

Almost all of Tech's scoring drives came on drives shorter than 70 yards. Here's where Tech's "successful" drives started:

Started Result
    Tech 31 Touchdown
    Tech 38 Touchdown
    Tech 42 FG
    Tech 19 Missed FG
    Tech 10 Touchdown
    Tech 11 FG
    USA 27 Touchdown

Of course, there were also the 7 Tech drives in the middle of the game where we were awful. Those were the drives where Tech averaged starting from its' own 13-yd line.

The message here is clear...LA Tech has a much higher propensity to score points when it starts a drive from its' own 30-yd line or better.
    Gee, and I bet our scoring would go up even higher if we could just start at the opponents' 30-yd line or better! Ya think!

So, exactly HOW does Holtz figure out how to shorten the field? If he had that answer he could bottle and sell it to every coach in football.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Gee, and I bet our scoring would go up even higher if we could just start at the opponents' 30-yd line or better! Ya think!

So, exactly HOW does Holtz figure out how to shorten the field? If he had that answer he could bottle and sell it to every coach in football.
    Did you not read the punting woes on another thread. (Of course you didn't. )

Simply put, our punting game and our punt return game has to improve, and our defense has to quit "bending" so much. Just a couple of 3 and outs would help along the way. I think the only "3 and out" Tech got all night was on the very first drive of the night.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Did you not read the punting woes on another thread. (Of course you didn't. )

Simply put, our punting game and our punt return game has to improve, and our defense has to quit "bending" so much. Just a couple of 3 and outs would help along the way. I think the only "3 and out" Tech got all night was on the very first drive of the night.
    Well I have vested interest in Dyer-- brought him shirt back from Gold Coast and 3 grandkids gave it to him at spring game and he's visited with them couple of times . "
    His ugly kick was result of bad snap - it hit his shoestring- he escaped rush and got a kick off. In fairness to you you said kicking game and snapping is where it starts

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Well, just recruit some guy who can punt 80 yards every time. That'll flip the field. Or, just have an offense that can get First Downs every drive, no matter where they start, and that can flip the field too. Like I said, if Holtz could find the guys that can do that EVERY TIME, he'd be a football genius...and probably wouldn't still be at Tech. Oh, defense ya say? Yes, let's have a defense that blows up the other team every play and make them punt on 4th and 20 every drive. That'll work too.

Other than having a Ryan Allen for punter....I think Holtz and EVERY coach would love to do be able to control field position and TRY to do so during the game. So, what I see is called "football." Yeah, Veal made a mistake on that one punt, that line drive headed for the EZ when he leapt up and caught at the ten, shoulda let that one go. But, ironically, that was the start of our 90-yard 4th qtr TD drive.

Point is, except for a few tweaks, I don't see what Holtz can do differently to change the field position matter. Last night, we got bogged down in our end, especially in the 3rd qtr, and our offense couldn't dig its way out. That's on our offense. That points to problems we are having on offense this year. But, we are struggling on offense so far this year, regardless of field position.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Our poor field position all night was a direct result of poor special teams play. This is not a new development.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Our poor field position all night was a direct result of poor special teams play. This is not a new development.
    That's correct. But its on the defense too. We need more "3 and outs".

Look....everybody knows is easier to score the closer you are to the goal. That's not the point. The problem here is, Tech is starting from TERRIBLE field position MUCH MORE OFTEN THAN IT SHOULD. I'd be surprised if many teams that won yesterday started 7 consecutive drives from an average of their own 13-yd line.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Look....everybody knows is easier to score the closer you are to the goal. That's not the point. The problem here is, Tech is starting from TERRIBLE field position MUCH MORE OFTEN THAN IT SHOULD. I'd be surprised if many teams that won yesterday started 7 consecutive drives from an average of their own 13-yd line.
    . 3 and out are not part of bend and break defense. Defense built around forcing offense to get a lot of short stuff and eventually make a mistake and settle for FG . Did you know that had 2 big plays that totaled 80 years and 210 grind it out yard?? 1 TD. We win a lot of games doing that-- that said, I was very frustrated quite a bit during game but the game plan worked well enough in 4th

Hey folks -- I do not claim to be right about my opinion-- I just express my take on game - Russdawg will attest that I get seriously frustrated during games but trust Skip and staff -- imagine changing game plan after losing Bonnette early ( like Henderson at NO Bowl game) . Think that changed the pace of game. A lot of folks I have different opinion with but respect and often agree with their spin--

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

I was reading just now that Bama has started 27% of their drives in the opponents half.

Average starting field position is a HUGE part of who ends up winning. This is a known and proven statistical fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    I was reading just now that Bama has started 27% of their drives in the opponents half.

Average starting field position is a HUGE part of who ends up winning. This is a known and proven statistical fact.
    Exactly.

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

You should email the coaches and tell them we need more three and outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixonfor6 View Post
    You should email the coaches and tell them we need more three and outs.
    Sounds like you prefer to go with this! LOL!

+ Reply to Thread