+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Petty. Dead at 66.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: Tom Petty. Dead at 66.

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Exactlly. Lowest common denominator rock. You don't sell that many records making music that advances the art. You do that by making music that doesn't offend anyone.
    Goofball. You're trying too hard. And its just not in you.

Varsity Bulldog Bulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to behold

Exactlly. Lowest common denominator rock. You don't sell that many records making music that advances the art. You do that by making music that doesn't offend anyone.
    Music is made to be enjoyed. It doesn’t have to “advance the art “ to be good. Again, you are just an arrogant pompous ass.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg81 View Post
    Music is made to be enjoyed. It doesn’t have to “advance the art “ to be good. Again, you are just an arrogant pompous ass.
    Since you like boring things, you ought to give soccer a shot. Boring and popular. Like the Eagles.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

.....actually he just THINKS he is. But he's really just a goofball looking for attention.

Varsity Bulldog Bulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBulldawg81 is a splendid one to behold

Since you like boring things, you ought to give soccer a shot. Boring and popular. Like the Eagles.
    You think you are really cute, don’t you? So, if something is extremely popular it can’t be good, right? Got it!

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

You think you are really cute, don’t you? So, if something is extremely popular it can’t be good, right? Got it!
    Or LSU. Popular, boring and not very good.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Only two Traveling Wilburys left; Jeff Lynne and Bob Dylan. Roy Orbison, George Harrison and Tom Petty have left the building.
    Why did they never include the drummer as one of the Wilburys?

Or LSU. Popular, boring and not very good.
    You do realize your OPINION is no better than anyone else’s, right? And hundreds of millions disagree with you.

And I hate LSU, and soccer.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Go fist yourself.
    Careful he may like that!
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

Being a huge Pink Floyd fan myself for over 40 years, I've probably forgotten more about Pink Floyd than you and this "Guest Writer" will ever know, combined.
    Always liked Pink Floyd. I never thought I would find a band that compared IMHO. Try these guys.

Porcupine Tree - Dark Matter Live
    WWDog
    La Tech

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

The penultimate paragraph sums up the Eagles very well.

https://www.salon.com/2013/08/08/qui...mply_terrible/
    "their first two albums, 1972’s “The Eagles”" from the referenced article

The name of the album was "Eagles." The name of the band was "Eagles." Not "The Eagles" in either case.

I am probably one of the biggest fans of "The Big Lebowski" there is, and I really like Eagles and CCR. It was a good nuance of the movie. "Lotta Ins, Lotta Outs, Lotta What Have Yous"

But for one to say Henley and Frey, et al, couldn't write good music is ridiculous. I know very little (more like nothing) of phrasing, musical structure, etc, but it is easy to hear that their writings are not similar to most music of the day. Very few songs with "bridges," lyrics that paint a picture, or series of pictures, wonderful harmony, great guitarist from Leadon, to Leadon and Felder, to Felder and Walsh. I know nothing about musical theory, but I know they wrote good songs and played them wonderfully. Gilmour, Felder, and Walsh are 3 of the all time greatest guitarist in history, and 2 of them played in the same band. Also, as important as Meisner was to the band, the transition to Schmit was virtually seamless.

Champ Built4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond repute Built4Speed's Avatar

This sucks. Petty has been a top-tier favorite of mine since I was old enough to get into music. Saw him and the Heartbreakers with Joe Walsh here in NLR a few months ago. It was better than I could have ever expected. I hope he pulls through, but all signs are pointing to getting family together before they pull the plug. I sincerely hope I'm wrong and the comeback tour starts in a couple years.

Being a huge Pink Floyd fan myself for over 40 years, I've probably forgotten more about Pink Floyd than you and this "Guest Writer" will ever know, combined.

That said, the Eagles are one of the world's best-selling bands of all time, having sold more than 150 million records—100 million in the U.S. alone—including 42 million copies of Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975) and 32 million copies of Hotel California. Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975) was the best selling album of the 20th century. They are the fifth-highest-selling music act and the highest-selling American band in U.S. history.

I realize that these are numbers that you and your little "Guest Writer" buddy can't fathom.....so we'll just leave it right there.
    If memory serves, the opening lyrics (some of the best Waters ever wrote, IMHO) of Echoes are something like

Overhead the albatross hangs motionless upon the air
    And deep beneath the rolling waves in labyrinths of coral caves
    An echo of a distant time
    Comes willowing across the sand
    And everything is green and submarine

WWDog
    La Tech

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

The Eagles are terrible.
    Now I know for sure you're absolutely insane!

+ Reply to Thread