+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: We deserved to lose, but...

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Re: We deserved to lose, but...

Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    If it was us, they would have thrown a flag and let UAB kick again. . . guaranteed.
    They did at least twice that I remember.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Tech52 View Post
    Yeah that was pretty crappy. Kick was bad, yes. They blocked it, yes. But that is a foul that should have been called.
    Unless my eyes deceived, and admittedly that is possible, the UAB defender that blocked the kick achieved the necessary elevation illegally. Also, I saw no movement or unsportsmanlike conduct on the XPs that were missed. Barnes had an off day and I feel badly for the guy. All of us have days at work when we make mistakes.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    They did at least twice that I remember.
    What are you talking about?

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stodgdog View Post
    Unless my eyes deceived, and admittedly that is possible, the UAB defender that blocked the kick achieved the necessary elevation illegally. Also, I saw no movement or unsportsmanlike conduct on the XPs that were missed. Barnes had an off day and I feel badly for the guy. All of us have days at work when we make mistakes.
    Yeah, but you've probably never lost as much money in one day as Barnes did yesterday. He just flushed a potential NFL career down the drain.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    If it was about illegal participation they're not going to call it unless someone from Tech makes it an issue.
    Why? Teams are routinely penalized for too many players on the field when the ball is in play. Also, penalties are routinely enforced when the penalty does not affect the play. I'm not questioning your assessment, but a penalty certainly should have been called whether or not a Tech coach made it an issue. It was extremely obvious. CUSA has been overly accommodating to UAB, often to the detriment of member schools that actually fulfill their obligations.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWillisDawg View Post
    At this point it wouldn't change anything. For it to impact the outcome a penalty would've needed to be called prior to the official end of regulation. in reality the foul didn't have an impact on the outcome, the kick block was clean, no extras interfered with tackling Barnes. We could turn it in to prove a point & hold the league accountable but it's not like the L & W are gonna be reversed.
    The title of thread is correct - we deserved to lose this game based on our terrible performance.
    A penalty against the defense as time expires results in an untimed down. Penalties that don't impact a play are called routinely. There were plenty of uncalled infractions that did affect the play throughout the game, like UABs right tackle holding on practically every pass play. Yes, our team played poorly yesterday but still could have won the game. I am not blaming our loss on the refs as our team should have played better. But days like yesterday happen to every team and seemingly small things at the time can alter who wins and loses.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Why? Teams are routinely penalized for too many players on the field when the ball is in play. Also, penalties are routinely enforced when the penalty does not affect the play. I'm not questioning your assessment, but a penalty certainly should have been called whether or not a Tech coach made it an issue. It was extremely obvious. CUSA has been overly accommodating to UAB, often to the detriment of member schools that actually fulfill their obligations.
    An SEC crew might have called it. But, as I said, it's a CUSA crew and the game is in Birmingham. They're not going to call it. Now if Skip or any of our coaches had run over to the White Hat and said "there were more than 11 on the field during the play and we're challenging it," then they would have had to throw a flag or gone to the replay official for some help.

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't put yourself in a position where dumb/crooked refs can screw you out of a win. UAB didn't have a program for 2 years. We should have been blowing them out.

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Yeah, but you've probably never lost as much money in one day as Barnes did yesterday. He just flushed a potential NFL career down the drain.
    Do we agree that the first XP he missed, a 35 yarder, should have had the 3 yard line as the LOS? I certainly don't know, but if yesterday proves to be an anomaly, IMO it will not impact his chances of being drafted, but could lower the round. However, I think he will be an UFA (or whatever they call it) and yesterday wouldn't have changed that even had he been perfect in his attempts.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Just a question. Since Barnes caught the blocked kick in the air behind the line of scrimmage on 3rd down, does that mean we could have retained possession for 4th down if there was time left on the clock? I thought no but saw a weird call on something like that in high school not long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    An SEC crew might have called it. But, as I said, it's a CUSA crew and the game is in Birmingham. They're not going to call it. Now if Skip or any of our coaches had run over to the White Hat and said "there were more than 11 on the field during the play and we're challenging it," then they would have had to throw a flag or gone to the replay official for some help.
    I am not disagreeing with your assessment as I said. But, why are they "not going to call it?" It was an obvious infraction of the rules and crews are graded. The differential in penalties enforced in yesterday's game was statistically highly improbable.

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    Just a question. Since Barnes caught the blocked kick in the air behind the line of scrimmage on 3rd down, does that mean we could have retained possession for 4th down if there was time left on the clock? I thought no but saw a weird call on something like that in high school not long ago.
    Yes. I’m a big fan of kicking on third down with a little time left in case something (like a botched snap or block) happens. You can always squib the KO if it succeeds.

Do we agree that the first XP he missed, a 35 yarder, should have had the 3 yard line as the LOS? I certainly don't know, but if yesterday proves to be an anomaly, IMO it will not impact his chances of being drafted, but could lower the round. However, I think he will be an UFA (or whatever they call it) and yesterday wouldn't have changed that even had he been perfect in his attempts.
    Pretty much all kickers are UFA's.

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

Yep. Teams that waste a draft pick on a kicker are insane (unless it’s Janikowski)

Which was my point, so if yesterday was an anomaly I don't see how it will change that status. Anyway, do we agree that it was a very poor call that set up a 35 yd XP attempt?

I just turned on the Packers @ Cowboys and the first play I saw was somehow a PF called against the Packers. Those are the kind of calls that went against us yesterday. I know you are a big D fan, but if you saw the play and replay I think you would agree that was about a bad a penalty call as an official could make.

+ Reply to Thread