+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Steve Bannon

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Re: Steve Bannon

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Jones is a sitting duck provided that the republicans don't rely on Bannon to pick his opponent the next go round. Hopefully this populist experiment will be over by that time.
    Gosh yes. Let's get back to the party of John McCain and Mitt Romney where conservatism was king.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DawgyNWindow View Post
    Gosh yes. Let's get back to the party of John McCain and Mitt Romney where conservatism was king.
    What JL seems to really want...losing to democrats.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Define conservatism.

From where I sit, I see someone who is at least as conservative as Reagan was, If you say his trade policies are not conservative because they are not "free trade", I would counter that it is impossible to have truly free trade unless it exists on both sides of the trade. Being an American, I want the market to determine who wins and who losers, not the Government via massive trade deals that promote some American businesses and handcuff others.

Also, the decline of our manufacturing base under "free trade" deals has left us vulnerable militarily. I don't ever want to have to depend on a foreign entity to provide America with military hardware should we need it. Even International Harvester produced M1 Garands during WW2.

Conservatism = what then? People throw that word out like it's some sort of holy grail, but it seems to mean different things to different people. By attacking "nationalism" do you mean to imply that conservatism embodies "globalism"? Is it possible to be a "global" conservative?

Conservative traits: Strong national defense, limited government, low taxation, the belief in American exceptionalism, equal justice for all, free trade, free enterprise and equal opportunity. If the repubs of yesterday are the conservatives, I don't want anything to do with them. They talk a lot and pontificate about their ideas, but they do nothing. They quickly sell out all of those conservative values for favorable treatment by a press that hates them.
    Very good posts!!!! That's one of the best post that I have ever read on this board. I don't believe johnny knows what a conservative or nationalist is, but, I am quite sure he's a closet democrat.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Conservative traits: Strong national defense, limited government, low taxation, the belief in American exceptionalism, equal justice for all, free trade, free enterprise and equal opportunity. If the repubs of yesterday are the conservatives, I don't want anything to do with them. They talk a lot and pontificate about their ideas, but they do nothing. They quickly sell out all of those conservative values for favorable treatment by a press that hates them.

Trumpian GOP traits: Weak national defense by alienating allies and provoking hostile adversaries while sharing state secrets with Russia, government by tweet and threat, low taxation and massive debts, the belief that America is broken, equal justice for all except women, blacks, Hispanics and Muslims, free trade unless you can make something cheaper than us.

Quite the contrast. And apparently the new GOP trend is to select candidates that are truly terrible people to boot.

Varsity Bulldog Kodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the roughKodawg is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by guisslapp View Post
    trumpian gop traits: Weak national defense by alienating allies and provoking hostile adversaries while sharing state secrets with russia, government by tweet and threat, low taxation and massive debts, the belief that america is broken, equal justice for all except women, blacks, hispanics and muslims, free trade unless you can make something cheaper than us.

Quite the contrast. And apparently the new gop trend is to select candidates that are truly terrible people to boot.
    bullseye!!!

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    What JL seems to really want...losing to democrats.
    Haha! Like a senatorial seat that hasn’t gone blue in 20 years?

The losing is just beginning. We’re losing bigly...but as long as we’re zinging Anderson Cooper on Twitter, y’all feel like you’re winning.

But here’s Trump’s genius, literally nothing he could do would ever get his supporters to question him. It’s always somebody else’s fault. Bungle legislation? Blame the swamp. Grab em by the pussy? Liberal media. Additional trillion in debt? Crooked Hillary.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

And it should be acknowledged that in the very state that was the primary battleground for black civil rights, black voters turned out in force to save Alabama from further disgrace and save the Republican Party from itself. Helluva job!

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    And it should be acknowledged that in the very state that was the primary battleground for black civil rights, black voters turned out in force to save Alabama from further disgrace and save the Republican Party from itself. Helluva job!
    This contest wasn't about race or policy issues based at all. Just 30+ years ago she said-he said allegation based. So if blacks came out in force it was steeple based due to Obama's calls. Besides, it was republicans that didn't vote for Moore that won it for the liberals.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

The losing is just beginning. We’re losing bigly...but as long as we’re zinging Anderson Cooper on Twitter, y’all feel like you’re winning.
    Do you need a list of the good things that have happened that would not have happened with Clinton? She lost and you sound like you did too.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Define conservatism.

From where I sit, I see someone who is at least as conservative as Reagan was, If you say his trade policies are not conservative because they are not "free trade", I would counter that it is impossible to have truly free trade unless it exists on both sides of the trade. Being an American, I want the market to determine who wins and who losers, not the Government via massive trade deals that promote some American businesses and handcuff others.

Also, the decline of our manufacturing base under "free trade" deals has left us vulnerable militarily. I don't ever want to have to depend on a foreign entity to provide America with military hardware should we need it. Even International Harvester produced M1 Garands during WW2.

Conservatism = what then? People throw that word out like it's some sort of holy grail, but it seems to mean different things to different people. By attacking "nationalism" do you mean to imply that conservatism embodies "globalism"? Is it possible to be a "global" conservative?

Trump isn't conservative on trade...you're right. I wish we had stronger manufacturing too. What has Trump done to fix that so far? His stated plan is only going to raise prices astronomically and his big business donors will never allow it anyway, so, like you've mentioned earlier, it's all talk and no action.

What do you mean by globalism? Conservative thinkers have long believed that capitalism should have a global impact and that it was the surest way to insure a solid national defense because when a country stands to lose economically by going to war, they usually find other options. In my critique of Bannon, I should've called him a nativist. Much of our current nationalism is misguided, but nativism is straight up unamerican.

On the strong national defense, Trump talks big and makes us less safe. People love the tough guy act, but what is it accomplishing?

Trump isn't leading on tax. Are some folks rates going down? Yes, just as our national debt goes up. Where do you think that will lead us? More taxes and state dependency. Trump is NOT a fiscal conservative.

So, he's not a fiscal conservative, a foreign policy conservative, or a social conservative.

He's trying to redefine conservatism and I hope he fails at that. Opposition to liberal ideology will be weaker if he does.

He's terrible at governing, but he's great at branding and ensuring that anything that goes wrong is someone else's fault...so his redefinition campaign has a good chance to succeed. That's when the losing bigly really starts.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Do you need a list of the good things that have happened that would not have happened with Clinton? She lost and you sound like you did too.
    Nothing on that list wouldn't have been accomplished by literally any of the other 17 candidates. I sound like I lost because conservatism lost. You lost too, you just don't know it yet.

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Nothing on that list wouldn't have been accomplished by literally any of the other 17 candidates. I sound like I lost because conservatism lost. You lost too, you just don't know it yet.
    Well, I am glad you can see exactly what would happen if any of the other 17 candidates would have won. If anything would have been accomplished at all it would have been quite a departure from all post-Gingrich republicanism.

Obamacare exists because republicans did nothing. They did nothing to solve the issues related to healthcare for a big minority of the population, so when the dems took control they shoved through a plan that destroyed healthcare for everyone. The republicans have done NOTHING to fix that, either. They do NOTHING. Conservatives my a$$.

Gosh, I wish we were winning like we were when Romney and McCain were running for president. I wish we were enjoying the "compassionate conservatism" that saw GW Bush acknowledge an issue created by the dems, do nothing to fix it (NO LEADERSHIP) and allow the financial crisis to happen.

I like Trump a bit more every day. He is a guy that actually fights back and pushes these great "conservative" icons to do SOMTHING/ANYTHING.

You obviously hate Trump. Well, good for you. And like all the other Trump haters you create this straw man and throw darts at it and then say "therefore, as you can see" as if you explanation explained anything. I only see what has happened since he was elected with the reversal of executive orders designed to cripple our economy, pushing a pro-military budget, pushing reduced tax rates on corporations to bring them back to America (even you dems thought this was a good idea until Trump proposed it), moving to de-politicize government bureaucrats and trying to enforce existing federal immigration laws.

He tweets and is a brash New Yorker. Big deal. As much as I cringe sometimes at his tweets, I revel in the fact that he is not versed in meaningless politispeech. If he does nothing more than save the Supreme Court, shake up the bureaucrats and undo the stain of the Obama presidency (by reversing all of the overreaching executive orders), he will be a successful president.

There are many executive orders the RINOs would not have rescinded.

This is so true. And one who would have done so - Ted Cruz - would have been attacked by the media and these great republicans in the same manner Trump is being attacked now. Everyone who thinks the media would have accepted and blessed any repub president is blind to the bias that has happened every time a one is elected. And anyone who thinks a real conservative would have fared better just needs to look at how the repub establishment went after the tea party (the very thing that gave them their majority, and likely the reason Trump was elected this go around).

If the establishment republicans actually start representing the people that sent them to Washington (and not just talking about it every election cycle), they don't ever have to fear another Trump being elected.

Well, I am glad you can see exactly what would happen if any of the other 17 candidates would have won.
    This is so true.

Hahaha!

I couldn't have set it up better. Perfect Trumpism. As long as you tell me what I already thought, you're exactly right. Anything that disagrees is fake news or just stated out of hate.

You never have to engage in an argument...and thus, you never have to lose one.

At this, Trump is brilliant. Of course, you guys are getting played and loving every minute of it.

Even if you love Trump and his ideas, you have to admit that he's done a crappy job of building consensus around his ideas. How many converts does he have? You'll no doubt respond that it's just because he's not a politician. Well, if not being a politician makes him ineffective, what has he accomplished?

+ Reply to Thread