+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do we develop more reasonable expectations?

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

How do we develop more reasonable expectations?

I am tired of hearing all these great things from spring training and fall camp only to find out that we severely underperform based on those expectations. This is not a frustration with Holtz. Seems every Tech team suffers the same back as far as I remember.

What can be done so we the fans have more reasonable expectations? Pull video of our opponents and compare by each position? Will it ever be an option to scrimmage another school rather than inter-squad(is that the right term?)?

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Re: How do we develop more reasonable expectations?

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I am tired of hearing all these great things from spring training and fall camp only to find out that we severely underperform based on those expectations. This is not a frustration with Holtz. Seems every Tech team suffers the same back as far as I remember.

What can be done so we the fans have more reasonable expectations? Pull video of our opponents and compare by each position? Will it ever be an option to scrimmage another school rather than inter-squad(is that the right term?)?
    Go read any message board for any team and you will find largely the same things. You have to be honest with yourself. Realize that we are never as good as we look in practice. When that undefeated season finally comes you can be pleasantly surprised. Unfortunately being a fan means getting too excited at the wins and to frustrated with the losses. Nature of the beast.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    What can be done so we the fans have more reasonable expectations?
    Play northeast.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Play northeast.
    Like at home only in the place of SCar St, NSU, or other non FBS. I would almost go for it, but we might get beaten.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

my expectations posted before season started-- 2 SEC teams on road---- 0-2
    Northwestern and S Alabama -- 2-0
    Western Kentucky (pickum) 1-0
    UAB ( win) 0-1 expected to be 3-3 at this point here we are . to be 8-4 we have to do much better on offense wont be surprised if we finish 6-6 or 7-5. Not saying I will be satisfied but it is what it is and we have a lot of young talent that needs to step it up ... kind of expected the BBB family to be surprised and rip the team for being young and developing but anyone who expected to be 6-0 5-1 before this season started was being unrealistic .... 3-3 about right . I will make rest of game except UTEP and hope we get better execution ---

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

"Fans" have inflated expectations of their team due to the disproportionate amount of info they know about their team compared to the other teams on their schedule.

It's part of being a fan. The other option is being a pessimist that calls himself a realist. He's not actually a realist because his ability to see the future is no better than the optimist's

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    "Fans" have inflated expectations of their team due to the disproportionate amount of info they know about their team compared to the other teams on their schedule.

It's part of being a fan. The other option is being a pessimist that calls himself a realist. He's not actually a realist because his ability to see the future is no better than the optimist's
    That is profound.

Which brings us to the old realists vs. sunshine pumpers argument. As "fanatics" we all want to be optimistic, and usually lean that way during the preseason and early in the season. Often we go on a roller coaster ride of ups and downs, highs and lows, optimistic and pessimistic. I don't really care for anyone who stays at one end of the spectrum, or the other. I mean, I'm not interested in what they have to say or their opinion because it is slanted negative or positive all the time. The truth in most things falls somewhere in the middle, and that's where we realists reside.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Do you really want to know? Go 2-10 for about three seasons. Be like Rice. Expectations would drop dramatically and would probably be reasonable.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

What would this thread title be if we had won our 1-point loss at S. Carolina and our 1-point loss at UAB? We've played three 1-point games and could very easily be anywhere from 2-4 to 5-1 right now.

That has nothing to do with pre-season fan expectations. However, it was (and still is) very reasonable to think that we should finish this season with 10 wins considering this is a historical 7-game home season, instead of just 5 or 6.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

The good news is that we have some very passionate fans and want the very best for our team and school. The bad news is that we have some very fragile egos and every miss step stabs us in the heart. The realists among us are just as passionate but have built up mechanisms to protect the ego. The shame of it is when expectations aren't met, some fans turn completely negative and sometimes drag others into their pained ego. We need, above all, to be pragmatic and not place blame to sooth the ego. When we place blame we drag others down and it grows. I don't think any of us have more knowledge or skill than those in the position to do the job. Just be as realistic as you can with your own ego and others' egos.
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Just always expect to lose; that way, you'll never be disappointed.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

We better make it to a BCS bowl before my time on this earth is up.......

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by faninmonroe View Post
    We better make it to a BCS bowl before my time on this earth is up.......
    I think, technically, there are no more "BCS" bowls. It's an "Access" bowl we are after now. But, yeah, whatever it's called, I agree. Hell, Northern Illinois got one of those.

I also want our baseball team to reach Omaha, and our Men's Hoops to reach the Final Four...egads on that latter one!

I expect an Access Bowl at some point. I also think we are on the right path to get to Omaha. I would like to see us regularly make the NCAA Tourney, but would think a deep run and maybe elite 8 or Final 4 is not unattainable.

Champ latech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond repute

I just hope we can hope a team that can be good on both O and D at the same time.

+ Reply to Thread