+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holtz post game comments

Varsity Bulldog golfkdog is a jewel in the roughgolfkdog is a jewel in the roughgolfkdog is a jewel in the roughgolfkdog is a jewel in the roughgolfkdog is a jewel in the roughgolfkdog is a jewel in the roughgolfkdog is a jewel in the roughgolfkdog is a jewel in the roughgolfkdog is a jewel in the roughgolfkdog is a jewel in the roughgolfkdog is a jewel in the rough

Holtz post game comments

This might have been discussed on another thread but I am wondering if anyone else listened to his post game interview with Nick Brown. Toward the latter point of the interview he mentioned that we need to be concerned with becoming bowl eligible, but did not say anything about how the USM loss greatly affected our chances of reaching the CUSA championship game. Now let me make it clear that I am not at all a Skip Holtz hater as I do not make it a practice to criticize someone's job performance, unless of course they work for me. I believe my profession is much like a head coach: too much credit when times are good, too much blame when times are bad. I only make a point about his comments because if our team focus is a CUSA championship we certainly don't need to be concerned about bowl eligibility. Any thoughts?

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

Re: Holtz post game comments

At this point, we are in serious trouble of reaching 6 wins. We really need to get into a bowl so that we can have the extra days of practice to get ready for next year.
    We can forget about a championship - just get to a bowl.
    Go Tech!

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably a case of realistic expectations right now. Tech is 1-2 with North Texas and UTSA still on the schedule. While a C-USA Western Division Title is still possible in theory, a lot has to happen for us to win the West.

I'd focus on beating Rice this week and restoring J'Mar's confidence. Then focus on each game one game at a time. If Tech gets back in the C-USA Title game race, that's cool. However, one game at a time with bowl eligibility as the top goal at this time.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Actually, I think he has talked about this in the past. Conference Champions is always a goal. The first winning goal is getting bowl eligible. Once you get that one then you can look at division champion goal, etc. He has pretty much talked about this in previous seasons after we were bowl eligible.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

At this point in the season, I think we need to win 4 of our last 5 to actually go to a bowl. The way we have been playing, that looks like a very tough task.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    At this point in the season, I think we need to win 4 of our last 5 to actually go to a bowl. The way we have been playing, that looks like a very tough task.
    To be eligible we need 3 of last 5, I think to be guaranteed we would need 4, luckily our only 2 road games are against this years cellar dwellers Rice and UTEP, the rest... who knows the entire West and most of the east is one big cluster and our chances of winning against UNT, UTSA, or FAU at home is, at best, a coin flip as they've been inconsistent this year as well.

I'm with Holtz just get to another bowl-game this year and start fixing stuff for a title contention next year...

Champ BruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by TechAlum05 View Post
    It's probably a case of realistic expectations right now. Tech is 1-2 with North Texas and UTSA still on the schedule. While a C-USA Western Division Title is still possible in theory, a lot has to happen for us to win the West.

I'd focus on beating Rice this week and restoring J'Mar's confidence. Then focus on each game one game at a time. If Tech gets back in the C-USA Title game race, that's cool. However, one game at a time with bowl eligibility as the top goal at this time.

We are at the 49th percentile offensively which means 51% of college football teams are better than us and even worse we are at the 35th percentile defensively thus a whopping 65% are better than us. I know Holtz thinks his defense is doing a wonderful job but that's his job to stay positive and deflect negativity. Realty is we are not a very good football team on either side of the ball and getting better NOW is all that should matter. If not CUSA west talk is irrelevant. Right now we are not good enough the win our division.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWillisDawg View Post
    We are at the 49th percentile offensively which means 51% of college football teams are better than us and even worse we are at the 35th percentile defensively thus a whopping 65% are better than us. I know Holtz thinks his defense is doing a wonderful job but that's his job to stay positive and deflect negativity. Realty is we are not a very good football team on either side of the ball and getting better NOW is all that should matter. If not CUSA west talk is irrelevant. Right now we are not good enough the win our division.
    Holtz's job is to win football games, not "stay positive."

Champ latech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWillisDawg View Post
    From our football experts, this year defense (35th percentile) is pretty dang good compared to last several years when we were at the ~5th percentile defensively.
    Meanwhile, the offense (49th percentile) is pretty bad compared to past years (~70th percentile or higher probably). Hence the defense is not the problem.

Varsity Bulldog Dawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the roughDawg85 is a jewel in the rough

This thread reminds me of Jim Mora: Playoffs?? Playoffs??

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    To be eligible we need 3 of last 5, I think to be guaranteed we would need 4, luckily our only 2 road games are against this years cellar dwellers Rice and UTEP, the rest... who knows the entire West and most of the east is one big cluster and our chances of winning against UNT, UTSA, or FAU at home is, at best, a coin flip as they've been inconsistent this year as well.

I'm with Holtz just get to another bowl-game this year and start fixing stuff for a title contention next year...
    Yes, this is what I am saying. Getting to the 6 wins, "bowl-eligible" point, is not going to do much for us. We need at least 7 wins.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ Lotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    Holtz's job is to win football games, not "stay positive."
    He's not doing a great job winning!

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

i just don't see how we get to 7 wins.

If Tech goes 7-5 then win their bowl game the record would be 8-5 and with 8 wins Holtz's contract rolls over for an extra year. Expectations are set way too low by Guice. It is hard to believe that someone could get a contract extension from this crap

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

We will be playing for the 6th win against UTSA. It's difficult for me to believe that we have this crappy of a team in Holtz 5th year. It's not like we are in the SEC, we are playing in one of if not the worst conferences in the nation. 6 wins in CUSA with a 5th year coach who had 7 home games should be unacceptable.

+ Reply to Thread