+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 20 Years Ago Yesterday.........

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

20 Years Ago Yesterday.........

LA Tech 26
    Alabama 20

Varsity Bulldog old dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of lightold dawg is a glorious beacon of light

Re: 20 Years Ago Yesterday.........

I'm gonna show my age. Wow, time flies, I was only 50 back then!

Alabama won the SEC that year, and what was amazing to me is that the Bulldogs held Alabama to 20 points! The Dogs getting 26 really didn't surprise me, they were an awesome offensive football team, but as I recall, if it hadn't been for number 40, we would have lost that game.

As time expired, he was the only guy who had a chance to stop Alabama from returning the kickoff for a touchdown. Somehow he went thru two or three Alabama blockers to tackle the Alabama kick returner, else it would have ended like the South Carolina game. I think someone else got credit for the tackle, but I'm pretty darn sure it was number 40. Anyone remember who he was. As I recall he was a running back who mostly played on special teams.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

I listened to that game over the internet from my hotel room in London during a business trip. A few hours later I took the shortest flight ever from London to DFW Airport (at least it was the shortest ever for me).

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

In 1997 when we beat Bama they finished something like 4-8. It was in 1999, when we beat them 29-28 that they won the SEC. They toasted Florida in the SEC championship game that year, 34-7, or some score like that. I might have some of the numbers wrong, but anyway, in was '99.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

you are thinking of 1999's game

Jason Owens made the saving tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by old dawg View Post
    I'm gonna show my age. Wow, time flies, I was only 50 back then!

Alabama won the SEC that year, and what was amazing to me is that the Bulldogs held Alabama to 20 points! The Dogs getting 26 really didn't surprise me, they were an awesome offensive football team, but as I recall, if it hadn't been for number 40, we would have lost that game.

As time expired, he was the only guy who had a chance to stop Alabama from returning the kickoff for a touchdown. Somehow he went thru two or three Alabama blockers to tackle the Alabama kick returner, else it would have ended like the South Carolina game. I think someone else got credit for the tackle, but I'm pretty darn sure it was number 40. Anyone remember who he was. As I recall he was a running back who mostly played on special teams.

Champ JAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to beholdJAMROB is a splendid one to behold

The flash of White Castle earned his scholly that day because Alexander was headed to the house. That was my 40th birthday, September 18, 1999 and my my wife was expecting with my third child. Rugrats crawling around our feet at the game are now grown and married, with children of their own.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAMROB View Post
    The flash of White Castle earned his scholly that day because Alexander was headed to the house. That was my 40th birthday, September 18, 1999 and my my wife was expecting with my third child. Rugrats crawling around our feet at the game are now grown and married, with children of their own.
    We've lost many great fans since 1999 and our core group of fans has been offset by those of us whose "Rugrats" are now fans. Unfortunately our attendance for tomorrow's homecoming will probably not be as high as it was in 1999.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

The 1997 game doesn't get as much hoopla as the 1999 game. It was just a "mild" upset. Of course it was still a big deal for us.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

I remember the pompous Paul Finebaum (was that redundant?) writing before the 1999 game how there was no way Alabama would be caught off guard and lose to Tech again.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    The 1997 game doesn't get as much hoopla as the 1999 game. It was just a "mild" upset. Of course it was still a big deal for us.

It would appear that those 2 games scared Bama into not scheduling us again in FB.

Varsity Bulldog dadawgula is a jewel in the roughdadawgula is a jewel in the roughdadawgula is a jewel in the roughdadawgula is a jewel in the roughdadawgula is a jewel in the roughdadawgula is a jewel in the roughdadawgula is a jewel in the roughdadawgula is a jewel in the roughdadawgula is a jewel in the roughdadawgula is a jewel in the roughdadawgula is a jewel in the rough

In '99, we were 8-3 and beat the sec champs and we had no bowl game. Of course, not as many bowls back then and we did not have a conference.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dadawgula View Post
    In '99, we were 8-3 and beat the sec champs and we had no bowl game. Of course, not as many bowls back then and we did not have a conference.
    ...because we were embarrassed by USC in the last game.

We'd have been ranked inside the top 20. Top 20 teams did not go w/out a bowl back in those days.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    LA Tech 26
    Alabama 20
    Getting info on this game played in 1997 is like trying to find the Lost Ark. I guess this game was played at a time just before most internet media sources were to the point of archiving games on the internet. That said, if you clink on the link below and scroll down to Game 8 of the 1997 season, Alabama has a very nice write-up on the game, complete with game box score and statistics. (It can't be copied and pasted, I tried.)

In short, Tim Rattay completed 29 of 48 pass attempts for 361 yards, and Haynesville native Bobby Ray Tell ran for 98 more yards as our Bulldogs racked up 522 yards of total offense vs the Crimson Tide's paltry 389 yards of offense that day. LA Tech's Troy Edwards had 9 receptions for 126 yards and 1 TD. Sean Cangelosi --and name that would come to live in Crimson Tide infamy 2 years later-- ended up with 2 catches for 41 yards and a TD that day.

Yes, it was Alabama's homecoming, and LA Tech spoiled it. Enjoy.

http://www.rolltide.com/documents/20...d=7688#page=15

Champ TechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant futureTechDAG has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by JAMROB View Post
    it was a good tackle but we had one more guy deep. You can see it on the game tape. He flashes across the sideline after the play

+ Reply to Thread