+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Start Westin Elliot Now!

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

Re: Start Westin Elliot Now!

Could it be that playing him might prove that he’s capable and maybe even better than J’Mar which if it happened would make Holtz look bad. I don’t know but I’d be surprised if Elliot is even getting much practice time anymore. One sure way to keep him off the field is to keep him off the practice field.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bone_afide_Dawg View Post
    Could it be that playing him might prove that he’s capable and maybe even better than J’Mar which if it happened would make Holtz look bad. I don’t know but I’d be surprised if Elliot is even getting much practice time anymore. One sure way to keep him off the field is to keep him off the practice field.
    That's the same reason I thought of for him not coming in until the last snap.

Puppy 214Westwood is a jewel in the rough214Westwood is a jewel in the rough214Westwood is a jewel in the rough214Westwood is a jewel in the rough214Westwood is a jewel in the rough214Westwood is a jewel in the rough214Westwood is a jewel in the rough214Westwood is a jewel in the rough214Westwood is a jewel in the rough214Westwood is a jewel in the rough214Westwood is a jewel in the rough

Bring back QB Transfer U

Champ DawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond reputeDawgyNWindow has a reputation beyond repute DawgyNWindow's Avatar

Maybe this is why we already lost two backup QBs?

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

I wondered why he didn’t get a shot. Even when he came in it was only to hand the ball off. I would have made J’Mar do that.

There was a moment in the third quarter where Elliot had come out to the field with Skip and I thought he was about to go in, but he quickly came back to the sidelines.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you see the handoff? It was a direct running play. Clean transfer and we gained 2 yards without 4 defenders already camped in the backfield. What a concept........

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

I thought J'Mar played well today, good enough QB play to win IMO. It may have been J'Mar's best performance of the season... but we still got blown out. We got out-coached, plain and simple.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Agreed. Smith was mediocre, which for him is a HUGE step up. No, seriously, he was not horrible last night. At times....at times, mind you, he actually looked good. But, at times he was horrific again, such as his inability to "see the field." That's one of his biggest issues, he doesn't see what's happening, and that's because he doesn't look.

I can see right before and a second after the snap that the defense knows the play. Yes, Holtz's entire playbook could fit on a post-it note, but even so, a defense can never be 100% sure a play is what you think it is. Smith doesn't recognize at the git-go that the defense is "jumping the play." I can see it from the stands...you've been had Smith, they KNOW the play. But, doesn't matter, Smith carries out the play anyway. I PROMISE you, if I could be DC for a team on our schedule, any decent team with a pulse on defense, I could shut out the Dawgs. Tech would not cross midfield on any drive they started inside their 30. (have to assume there would be a lucky pitch and catch for a 15-20 yard gain now and then). The ONLY reason other DCs haven't accomplished that is because they don't have the luxury of being able to learn Holtz's offense like I have. They have to scheme for 12 opponents each year and don't have the time to really dissect any opposing offense.

Anyway, Smith was very mediocre last night which is his best performance of the year. He probably had 80 yards rushing, just guessing, haven't seen any stats. He was humming those slant passes. He actually stepped up into the pocket a few times and allowed the rush to flow by him. I was like, wow! Where has this been all year?

Still, we seem to be stuck on 23. If we can hold UTEP and UTSA under 23....we have a chance to win out.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

We won't beat UTSA. I believe we will beat UTEP, not because we are better, but as hard as it is to grasp, they are ready to get the season over with more than us. I'm not confident enough in that prediction to wager more than a dollar though. They may very well beat us.
    UTSA knows we are vulnerable and will show up in Ruston ready to play. There will be bowl eligibility at stake. There won't be 8K people there, so no real home field advantage. We lose by 10 points. After the game Skip bemoans the fact that we have had more injurys than a Colosseum full of gladiators, a young team that's rebuilding but admires the way they competed their tails off. We lose our two best RB and go into next year with the same staff we have now (assuming they don't get hired away or quit) and major questions at the QB position. Next year the excuse is we have to play two top 25 SEC teams on the road, blah, blah, blah. After next year, I fear we may be at an all time low as a program.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Flip a coin on the UTEP game. That's as good a predictor as anything else. UTEP does not want to go 0-fer this season. Tech is their best chance to snag a W. I think UTEP will be motivated to get a win, for no other reason just to salvage something from their horrible season. IF....big IF....we decide to show up and bring our "A" game, we should beat UTEP. But, what possible motivation is left for this team? Yeah, you and I would say, well....6-6 is still mathematically possible and being bowl eligible. But, from the head coach, thru the staff, and to most of the players, I see a losers' mentality. So....who knows? Flip a coin....

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Flip a coin on the UTEP game. That's as good a predictor as anything else. UTEP does not want to go 0-fer this season. Tech is their best chance to snag a W. I think UTEP will be motivated to get a win, for no other reason just to salvage something from their horrible season. IF....big IF....we decide to show up and bring our "A" game, we should beat UTEP. But, what possible motivation is left for this team? Yeah, you and I would say, well....6-6 is still mathematically possible and being bowl eligible. But, from the head coach, thru the staff, and to most of the players, I see a losers' mentality. So....who knows? Flip a coin....
    In some ways losing the last two would help Tech much like I think the USMNT needed to fail to qualify this year.

It allows stuff to come to light that mediocre (6-6) seasons would never reveal. Maybe our Fanbase will see Skip for what he really is. Maybe our administration will talk to him. Maybe real substantial changes will be made.

6-6 is just another bandaid and doesn’t address the deeper issue with the team.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    In some ways losing the last two would help Tech much like I think the USMNT needed to fail to qualify this year.

It allows stuff to come to light that mediocre (6-6) seasons would never reveal. Maybe our Fanbase will see Skip for what he really is. Maybe our administration will talk to him. Maybe real substantial changes will be made.

6-6 is just another bandaid and doesn’t address the deeper issue with the team.
    You have much more faith in our decision makers than I do.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

FAU played 3 QBs. Even the 3rd one got a fair amount of playing time.

Elliot got 1 play.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Jack Bicknell was very similar to Skip Holtz (passive, indecisive, fearful,...). In 2004 Jack Bicknell was about to be fired as Tech's football HC. He was 4-5 at that point in the season and was 9-15 over the previous two years. The AD met with Bicknell before the upcoming Tulsa game and told him that he must beat woeful Tulsa or he would be fired after the game. Bicknell beat Tulsa and afterwards stated that it was "the biggest win of my coaching career". We finished 6-6 that year and two years later had our first 10-loss season ever. We finally fired Bicknell after 8 years and a 43-52 overall W/L record (45%).

We cannot afford passive, uninspired, "just here to collect a check/retire" performance. There are aggressive, passionate men who would love to coach Louisiana Tech to a conference championship and access bowl game. Skip Holtz isn't committed to this level of work.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Jack Bicknell was very similar to Skip Holtz (passive, indecisive, fearful,...). In 2004 Jack Bicknell was about to be fired as Tech's football HC. He was 4-5 at that point in the season and was 9-15 over the previous two years. The AD met with Bicknell before the upcoming Tulsa game and told him that he must beat woeful Tulsa or he would be fired after the game. Bicknell beat Tulsa and afterwards stated that it was "the biggest win of my coaching career". We finished 6-6 that year and two years later had our first 10-loss season ever. We finally fired Bicknell after 8 years and a 43-52 overall W/L record (45%).

We cannot afford passive, uninspired, "just here to collect a check/retire" performance. There are aggressive, passionate men who would love to coach Louisiana Tech to a conference championship and access bowl game. Skip Holtz isn't committed to this level of work.

I would argue that you can be committed to a certain level of achievement and lack the ability to achieve it. That is where we are, IMO.

+ Reply to Thread