+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Start Westin Elliot Now!

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Re: Start Westin Elliot Now!

Quote Originally Posted by BhadDawg View Post
    It is quite possible I was wrong

The Miami game just sticks in my head as the one for some reason, of course I have slept a lot since then. Luke did make us competitive, maybe the Miami game is where he set a team or stadium record for most passing attempts? Something makes that game stand out, just not sure.

Since we are all trying to remember things, and you seem to have a better memory than mine, didn't Stallworth transfer out that year to an FCS?
    Luke did set a record for most passing attempts during that game. He went 42-for-72 for 418 yards with 3 TDs and 3 INTs. A week earlier at Auburn he set the school record for most completions in a game, going 47-for-65 for 433 yards with 4 TDs and 2 INTs. After those two games, I think all of us thought Luke would challenge Rattay for the greatest QB in school history. Unfortunately, in my opinion, he regressed his final two years. (Of course, it didn't help that he didn't have the same type of playmakers, and Ryan Moats also turned in two of the three best seasons in school history.)

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    I though it was the K State game. I was there but really don't remember that. I do remember telling one of the K State fans that Stallworth was the one who threw the winning TD pass against Alabama the year before. Also remember it was 126 degrees in the stands.
    Honestly, I lost track of Stallworth after that year. I was at the K-State game, complete with my "Stallworth for Heisman" poster. It was a miserable start to the season, and things got worse from there. If he did transfer, there's no record of him taking a snap after the 2000 season. This story, however, has him at Central Arkansas in 2001. This 2002 preview of UCA says that Stallworth was one of two QBs for the Bears in 2001.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Close but not exactly. Elliot initially committed in early May as a preferred walk-on who Skip promised a scholarship as soon as one came available. He just had to wait for someone to transfer. By the time he enrolled in summer school, he had the scholarship that Skip promised.

He didn't get to start at his high school until his senior season when most DI schools already had their QB commits.

The QB he was backing up at Blinn was a UCLA transfer until the UCLA guy got hurt midway through the season, which gave him an opportunity to start.

He had several DII offers out of high school but chose to go juco instead. Then out of Blinn, he chose Tech over scholarship offers from Boise State, North Texas, and UTEP, and a preferred walk-on offer from South Carolina.

This story by S
    ean Isabella does not say he had scholarship offers from those schools. He said they "talked scholarships." That's not an official offer, just like we didn't give him an official offer.
    Last edited by theprofessor; 11-07-2017 at 03:11 PM. Reason: wrong author
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    This story by Jimmy Watson does not say he had scholarship offers from those schools. He said they "talked scholarships." That's not an official offer, just like we didn't give him an official offer.
    That was written by Sean. Wording is vague.

This article says "Elliott picked Louisiana Tech over an opportunity at North Texas. He said that Boise State, Washington State and South Carolina also showed interest." http://www.mrt.com/aboutus/article/COLLEGE-FOOTBALL-Former-MCS-QB-heading-to-11186714.php

Sounds like a similar offer from UNT. Wording is vague again.

Regardless, he's not some intramural star who just showed up at walk-on tryouts and made the team. Tech recruited him and landed him over other programs that also wanted his services. He's been on scholarship here from Day 1 and threw a TD pass against Mississippi State his one opportunity he's been given.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Close but not exactly. Elliot initially committed in early May as a preferred walk-on who Skip promised a scholarship as soon as one came available. He just had to wait for someone to transfer. By the time he enrolled in summer school, he had the scholarship that Skip promised.

He didn't get to start at his high school until his senior season when most DI schools already had their QB commits.

The QB he was backing up at Blinn was a UCLA transfer until the UCLA guy got hurt midway through the season, which gave him an opportunity to start.

He had several DII offers out of high school but chose to go juco instead. Then out of Blinn, he chose Tech over scholarship offers from Boise State, North Texas, and UTEP, and a preferred walk-on offer from South Carolina.
    Say what you will, but Westin Elliott gets rid of the football QUICKLY....very quickly. Watch this video from his high school days. Elliott never holds the ball more than 2 or 3 seconds, and he will throw to a pass pattern.....meaning, he doesn't wait for his receiver to get WIDE OPEN before throwing the football. He'll throw it to where the WR is going. This "quick release" is what we witnessed on his long 90+ yard TD drive against Miss Stat in his one appearance.

I'm not saying Elliott will be All-World. He may turn out to be awful. But after the way J'Mar has disappointed, Elliott deserves every bit of the same chance that J'Mar got.

https://247sports.com/player/westin-elliott-81884

Big Dog tech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to all

Hudl has videos of him in JC and he runs a very similar offense. In my watching him he makes the same throws J'mar does . We need a spark and he and Boston get my vote.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

It doesn't matter if we pulled him out of a cardboard box in an alley, or if we out bid Alabama for him. All things being equal with the line and RB's he can't overthrow or skip more balls off the ground into the receivers and backs than J'mar has this season.

I defended J'Mar early in the season because play calling from the staff has been an issue before this year at times, and it was going to happen again. Playing calling is still part of the issue, but he hasn't progressed at all, and he isn't going to suddenly turn it around in game 10. Give the other kid a shot, and if he does the same or better with all the injuries at least you know what you have, and you decide you can make it work with them next year or you know you have to go get somebody for next year whether it is a freshman or a JC transfer.

Losing against UTSA, FAU, and possibly UTEP doing the exact same thing as now is only going to drive more people away, and not going help prepare for next season.

Skip gets a bad year based off the prior success to this point, BUT he gets one! We can't afford to stick with people on a downhill slide like we have in the past. There have to be changes to the staff and to game management after this season. He won't change from here till the end of the season.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    Luke did set a record for most passing attempts during that game. He went 42-for-72 for 418 yards with 3 TDs and 3 INTs. A week earlier at Auburn he set the school record for most completions in a game, going 47-for-65 for 433 yards with 4 TDs and 2 INTs. After those two games, I think all of us thought Luke would challenge Rattay for the greatest QB in school history. Unfortunately, in my opinion, he regressed his final two years. (Of course, it didn't help that he didn't have the same type of playmakers, and Ryan Moats also turned in two of the three best seasons in school history.)

Honestly, I lost track of Stallworth after that year. I was at the K-State game, complete with my "Stallworth for Heisman" poster. It was a miserable start to the season, and things got worse from there. If he did transfer, there's no record of him taking a snap after the 2000 season. This story, however, has him at Central Arkansas in 2001. This 2002 preview of UCA says that Stallworth was one of two QBs for the Bears in 2001.
    Stallworth had a decent year with UCA (playing for Clint Conque). I think I remember him getting to play in one of those FCS all-star bowls (the cactus bowl maybe).

Champ Gladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud ofGladzilla has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Say what you will, but Westin Elliott gets rid of the football QUICKLY....very quickly. Watch this video from his high school days. Elliott never holds the ball more than 2 or 3 seconds, and he will throw to a pass pattern.....meaning, he doesn't wait for his receiver to get WIDE OPEN before throwing the football. He'll throw it to where the WR is going. This "quick release" is what we witnessed on his long 90+ yard TD drive against Miss Stat in his one appearance.

I'm not saying Elliott will be All-World. He may turn out to be awful. But after the way J'Mar has disappointed, Elliott deserves every bit of the same chance that J'Mar got.

https://247sports.com/player/westin-elliott-81884
    here is J'Mar's highschool highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB6XJ4BCx6c

http://www.hudl.com/profile/3433043/elijah-walker Elijah Walker

Eric London Caldwell Parish class of 2018 no offers as of now
    Mark Laird- why didn't anyone make an offer
    Trent Taylor- Late offer
    Quinn Graves- don't think he had an offer.
    Hunter Lee walk on- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lZEAeAZn_E

I've spent way more time than i should have trying to gather my thoughts to make a post here. My feelings are still that of one that questions the coaching staff. I've just watched enough of people that didn't get offer and highlights of J'Mar to know that even getting an offer from Tech was a poor decision. Sure he has an arm but that's where it ends.

(I base my thoughts for this post on the videos above and not what has happens this season.)

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DallasDog View Post
    Skip gets a bad year based off the prior success to this point, BUT he gets one! We can't afford to stick with people on a downhill slide like we have in the past. There have to be changes to the staff and to game management after this season. He won't change from here till the end of the season.
    Bad years we can handle. Nothing Tech fans are strangers to.

The problem this year is the way we were bad. Intentional choices made us this way. Previous years we had the talent to win, and even then Skip had the same problems. Just this year the emperor has no clothes, and he has nothing to hide behind. Thats why I don't think it's that he gets a bad year- I think he's had 5 bad years but was able to stumble into wins regardless due to 1) the talent we had 2) and the atrociousness of CUSA. Both of those things are gone this year.

Edit: And it's just now looking back that his ballessness is more obvious, to me at least.

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Yep, start Elliott. In my opinion, these last three games are just practice for next year. No, I haven't given up on the Dawgs!!! I'll be there for the last two home games and yelling for them as always. But, it is what it is!

Champ DJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

The last three games should be used for competition. It would also show the recruits that jobs are open and available, you just have to come in and win the competition.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I hadn’t seen a video of J’Mar before. He is definitely a threat with his legs. He made some good throws, mainly Post patterns and screens what what I saw. Several mid to long range throws were short. Didn’t hit his man in stride. I would be willing to bet we would have more success if he was aloud to truly run zone read without the delayed handoff crap. Let him develop some rhythm and see what happens. I’m not sunshine pumping, just wishful thinking.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gladzilla View Post
    here is J'Mar's highschool highlights https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB6XJ4BCx6c

http://www.hudl.com/profile/3433043/elijah-walker Elijah Walker

Eric London Caldwell Parish class of 2018 no offers as of now
    Mark Laird- why didn't anyone make an offer
    Trent Taylor- Late offer
    Quinn Graves- don't think he had an offer.
    Hunter Lee walk on- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lZEAeAZn_E

I've spent way more time than i should have trying to gather my thoughts to make a post here. My feelings are still that of one that questions the coaching staff. I've just watched enough of people that didn't get offer and highlights of J'Mar to know that even getting an offer from Tech was a poor decision. Sure he has an arm but that's where it ends.

(I base my thoughts for this post on the videos above and not what has happens this season.)
    In J'Mar's highlight video, I see J'Mar making many of the same mistakes back then that he's making today. On most pass plays, J'Mar is holding the ball too long from the very first start of that video. At 1:26 of the video, J'Mar has a receiver wide open in the end zone (#7) but he just couldn't throw it. He pulled the ball down instead and ran it. Ironically, most of J'Mar's best highlights were runs.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

I think J'Mar is a great athlete.

I don't think he is a great QB. He has arm strength, but not accuracy. The game is really fast. As someone else said, he never steps into the pocket. He always rolls out to the left or right (usually taking the sack or making a terrible throw). His accuracy tanks when it rolls out.

I think we would be better off putting him into a wildcat, WR, RB role. He would run a great wildcat offense. OR run the option with him and Scott and Craft.

You have to use a players strengths. Pocket passing is not J'Mar's strength. I find it weird that we have a mobile QB and treat him like a pocket passer.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

It's really frustrating as a fan that a coach has an ego that won't let him make changes, even when he sees that his team is going to have a losing record. At this point in the season, there is nothing to lose by making changes. If the team keeps playing the same way, FAU and UTSA will definitely be losses.

+ Reply to Thread