+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Holtz's Worst Season Thusfar Here

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: Holtz's Worst Season Thusfar Here

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    I sure hope that your employees constantly keep their eyes open for the next job because if you show that little loyalty for good work, it's going to be hard to keep workers. Skip Holtz led us to three straight bowl victories. He's had two subpar years sandwiched around those three years. I'm as frustrated as the next guy about this season, but I'm so sick and tired of the way things are going in college athletics where coaches get fired at the first sign of adversity within the program. Three straight bowl victories should earn you a reprieve for one negative season.
    Did he really? 3 straight bowls? We didn't know this. PLEASE TELL US MORE!!

I don't disagree with the fact that 3 bowl victories has probably earned Holtz some grace. For now, at least. I even said so on another thread. (So you're late to the prom.) But, as I also stated in the other thread, Holtz needs to be told that he's walking on thin ice, the boogey man is in the hallway, and he should be FORCED --yes, FORCED-- to fire his current OC and hire a good OC. Because all the data from this year's games suggest that this team can't score offensively.

Big Dog TechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    This season has been craptastic. Football is bad and our AD put all his eggs in marketing the first two games. He should be ashamed with the turnout yesterday for Homecoming. He is not even concerned about the students leaving after halftime. The east side looked bad.
    I noticed students leaving at half time last year with a winning record. Our fan base is so damn fragile. The whole sports scene at Tech is pins and needles. If our coaches do well they evenually leave. We pay close to the lowest salaries for even our conference level. We were fighting to get a 20,000 average attendance last year. This year just sets us back, just when we were trying to get some traction in football. I Will Ever Loyal Be. I will be supporting Our team for better or worse. Just feel frustrated at this moment.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

I sure hope that your employees constantly keep their eyes open for the next job because if you show that little loyalty for good work, it's going to be hard to keep workers. Skip Holtz led us to three straight bowl victories. He's had two subpar years sandwiched around those three years. I'm as frustrated as the next guy about this season, but I'm so sick and tired of the way things are going in college athletics where coaches get fired at the first sign of adversity within the program. Three straight bowl victories should earn you a reprieve for one negative season.
    By the way, this is exactly why I'm a hiring manager, and you're not. If I can hire someone to produce 4 or 5 winning seasons out of 5, why would I settle for someone else who can only produce 3 winning seasons out of 5?

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    By the way, this is exactly why I'm a hiring manager, and you're not. If I can hire someone to produce 4 or 5 winning seasons out of 5, why would I settle for someone else who can only produce 3 winning seasons out of 5?
    Who would you hire for the salary we currently pay that could produce better results an actually stay for 5 years?

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2180 View Post
    Who would you hire for the salary we currently pay that could produce better results an actually stay for 5 years?
    UCA has a good football coach. And why does he have to stay for 5 years? Having to hire a new coach because you are successful is a good problem.

What kind of question is that? You actually want names? Okay, you pay me the AD's salary, and I'll tell you. There are plenty of names out there. But don't we pay an AD to do that?

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

What kind of question is that? You actually want names? Okay, you pay me the AD's salary, and I'll tell you. There are plenty of names out there. But don't we pay an AD to do that?
    Come on HD, that's the best you got? Hell, you probably earn more than the current AD's salary.

Come on HD, that's the best you got? Hell, you probably earn more than the current AD's salary.
    Probably. Probably a lot more. But that's beside the point. That's the best you'll get until you make me king of the TAC hill.

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of names.....any good AD has an updated list of desired replacement coaches in his desk drawer, Think T'Mac has one?

(Probably has a list of his preferred AD jobs if they come open)

Champ FriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDog has a reputation beyond repute FriscoDog's Avatar

Maybe you prefer to go the "Rice" route? Rice has kept their coach (David Bailiff) FAR longer then they should, simply because --like you-- they think they can't afford to fire him. Meanwhile, the results? Rice finished 5-7 in 2015, 3-9 in 2016 and are currently 1-8 in 2017. Is this the blue print that you are proposing we follow at LA Tech? Do you have any idea how this has negatively impacted Rice's financial support, fan attendance and alumni donations?

So the answer is, at some point you can't afford NOT to fire some people. We can argue whether or not Skip Holtz is there yet, but the lack of fan support and energy in that stadium yesterday is indisputable. And its probably going to get worse.

Truth is, Holtz has probably earned some grace from us with his last three 9-win seasons. But, for the love of all things great, Holtz should be FORCED to hire a good Offensive Coordinator and maybe forced to implement some other changes as well. Sitting back and doing nothing is not an option for our administration. All I ask is, let's don't wait until the man tears the program completely down before we take some action. Otherwise, LA Tech could end up like Rice, but without the Top 20 academic reputation.
    HD I respect the hell out of you, and you always seem to be spot on with posts. But WHY would we need to hire another OC if Skip is not going to let him do his job? As DogsWin stated in another thread, Skip calls the offensive plays, The OC just sits in the booth and makes suggestions. PawDog stated that OC doesn't care and that it's a paycheck. No OC worth a damn is going to come here and just sit by while Skip calls all of the plays and continues to override suggestions and go with same play after play after play after play.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

I want the passion and leadership of the players back! And I want that exciting and unpredictable offense of the last 4 years back.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Holtz has now had 4 losing seasons in the last 8 years. I'm calling this one early. He won't win 2 more games to break even.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    I'm beginning to rethink all that we heard about how bare Dykes left the cupboard.

These are all Holtz's recruits.
    For several years I've been trying to tell y'all that "bare cupboard" talking point was a myth created and perpetuated by JFord, PWalsh, and Holtz. JF would go on the radio telling everybody we were "stupid" if we thought that Tech team had any talent on it even though he sold subscriptions telling everybody we had a Top 3 WAC recruiting class every year. That "bare cupboard" myth simply wasn't true. Our fans just accepted the misinformation they were feeding us because our fans got their feelings hurt by Dykes leaving and wanted him to be the scapegoat for everything that went wrong in Skip's first season. Our 2013 roster may have had more NFL talent than any in Tech history! IIRC we had 13 future NFL players on that roster plus a future C-USA MVP and many other players who earned various honors. History has proven me right that Skip's cupboard was loaded from the start! (And of course Skip should get credit for developing all that talent, too.)
    Last edited by Dawg06; 11-06-2017 at 01:20 AM.

UCA is 7-0 in Southland and 8-1 in all games. Now there is us a coach.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Any talk of firing Skip this year is total nonsense. Tech would never fire a coach after 1 losing season unless maybe he went winless.

Thanks to his new contract negotiated by T-Mac, Skip's new buyout is $3,208,333 this offseason, and there is ZERO chance Tech would ever pay that.

We have to accept Skip is our coach for the long haul (like the admin and most of the fan base wanted) and hope he can right the ship soon. Any discussion otherwise is crazy talk.

+ Reply to Thread