+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A note to our fans & alums who drive a long way....

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Re: A note to our fans & alums who drive a long way....

Quote Originally Posted by RhinoDawg View Post
    UTSA game is in Ruston.
    Thanks Rhinodawg. I knew that, but was just speaking generally.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    For all you Tech faithful who drive several hundred miles round trip several times a year (many of you don't miss a game) to support our school and its football team, I just want to say thank you.

I know quite a few of you... you drive from places like Dallas, Houston, Memphis, Baton Rouge, Little Rock, Jackson (and on and on) because you are dedicated Bulldog fans. When I examine my 45-mile drive from home to the stadium, I realize how much more of a commitment it takes for you to make the trip. You pretty much give up an entire weekend (and all the expenses) for a Bulldog football game. And I know lately many of you are examining whether it is worth it. I am not about to try to tell you whether it is or it isn't. I just want to say Thank You for all those trips you have made. Thanks for being some of Tech's very best fans and alums!
    Great post! I am horribly frustrated, but will never give up on the Dawgs! Like many of you, this season has been heartbreaking. I can't say if it is the youth, injuries, or what. I think Holtz has done a great job the last three years, though, and I am not willing to give up on him after one very heartbreaking season. All I can hope is that we finish strong now. Probably the most frustrating part is that we are about 8 points from just having one loss on the season. I hope our players and Holtz don't throw in the towel and we surprise FAU with a big upset.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I will be in Shreveport Friday night for the Rummel-Byrd playoff game, and in Ruston on Saturday to watch the Dawgs knock off FAU.

As I posted on the High School Sports thread Rummel and Tech are "suffering" through mirror-image seasons. Both have had injury woes, some bad luck, and both are 1-4 in close games. When I saw the Raiders would be playing in S'port I never, not for an instant, concerned myself with this being a disappointing season. Instead I said, "I'll be there to support my Raiders!" No matter what.

And then it struck me...why am I treating Tech differently? So...GO DAWGS!!! Beat dem Owls!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OLDBLUE View Post
    Wish you might put a little effort in supporting them and encouraging them to "fight, fight, fight, for old red and blue."
    (and its just Tuesday)
    I can't believe you just wrote that about our fans. A little effort? Are you kidding? That's a POS thing to say to our fans. There's not a single fan you can blame for the current shape this football team is in.

Considering how poorly this team has performed this season, LA Tech fans have turned out in very good numbers in Ruston, in Birmingham, and in Houston. Don't try to drive a wedge between our fans and our football team.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I can't believe you just wrote that about our fans. A little effort? Are you kidding? That's a POS thing to say to our fans. There's not a single fan you can blame for the current shape this football team is in.

Considering how poorly this team has performed this season, LA Tech fans have turned out in very good numbers in Ruston, in Birmingham, and in Houston. Don't try to drive a wedge between our fans and our football team.
    Not 100% of what I get from reading this board. Sorry for a different perspective. Just finished a Bible study on encouragement -vs - criticism.

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Not 100% of what I get from reading this board. Sorry for a different perspective. Just finished a Bible study on encouragement -vs - criticism.
    Hang in there, OLDBLUE! I've been disappointed this year and actually consider the next three games as practice for next year. However, I will be in Ruston for the last two home games to yell and support the Dawgs, And yes, I was in Houston and Birmingham this year to support them. They have been damn close, but no cigar. Doo doo happens!!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

You need to spend more time in Bible study and less on BB&B.

Champ Lotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    You need to spend more time in Bible study and less on BB&B.
    That's funny...I don't care who you are!

Champ Lotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    For all you Tech faithful who drive several hundred miles round trip several times a year (many of you don't miss a game) to support our school and its football team, I just want to say thank you.

I know quite a few of you... you drive from places like Dallas, Houston, Memphis, Baton Rouge, Little Rock, Jackson (and on and on) because you are dedicated Bulldog fans. When I examine my 45-mile drive from home to the stadium, I realize how much more of a commitment it takes for you to make the trip. You pretty much give up an entire weekend (and all the expenses) for a Bulldog football game. And I know lately many of you are examining whether it is worth it. I am not about to try to tell you whether it is or it isn't. I just want to say Thank You for all those trips you have made. Thanks for being some of Tech's very best fans and alums!
    77 I appreciate your words. It is tough to make the drive 7-hour drive from Abilene Texas every weekend Tech's playing at the Joe and I don't make it to every game (BTW I am a season ticket holder, LTAC, Alumni Assoc). My biggest problem is 1) driving through the DFW Metroplex (I HATE DRIVING THROUGH THE METROPLEX) and 2) that the mainstream hotels in Ruston charge outrageous prices for a single or 2-nights stay...$170 plus per night and that's conservative. I have a daughter that's a student there so the cost is not a factor just to spend some time with her (although her and mom spend most of that time shopping) and to watch the Dawgs...but really...a hotel room in Ruston for $170/night! I work for the Department of the Air Force and am on the road 120 days or more a year and stay in some of the major hotel chains but have never paid that much. I guess if you want the room, you have to pay the price. But for a weekend to watch a Tech game, my out of pocket expenses are easily $500 or more for that weekend and that doesn't include what mom and daughter spends for their shopping spree.

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Lotsudo View Post
    77 I appreciate your words. It is tough to make the drive 7-hour drive from Abilene Texas every weekend Tech's playing at the Joe and I don't make it to every game (BTW I am a season ticket holder, LTAC, Alumni Assoc). My biggest problem is 1) driving through the DFW Metroplex (I HATE DRIVING THROUGH THE METROPLEX) and 2) that the mainstream hotels in Ruston charge outrageous prices for a single or 2-nights stay...$170 plus per night and that's conservative. I have a daughter that's a student there so the cost is not a factor just to spend some time with her (although her and mom spend most of that time shopping) and to watch the Dawgs...but really...a hotel room in Ruston for $170/night! I work for the Department of the Air Force and am on the road 120 days or more a year and stay in some of the major hotel chains but have never paid that much. I guess if you want the room, you have to pay the price. But for a weekend to watch a Tech game, my out of pocket expenses are easily $500 or more for that weekend and that doesn't include what mom and daughter spends for their shopping spree.
    We stayed at Jimmie Davis State Park last weekend. $105/night and we got to sit out on a front porch vs. stuck in the hotel. Would recommend again for kids

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Listening to BTB Radio last week made me think of this thread. They spent the first segment harping on poor attendance as if most of our fans are skipping out on games to go sit in the deer stand. It further reinforced my position that folks in Ruston just don't get the big investment most of fans have to make to attend games from out-of-town. Again, kudos to everyone who showed up for the FAU game.

Now student attendance is a different story. That FAU game may have been our worst student attendance for a good weather game while school was in session since the end of the JB3 era, and this quarter we have the largest enrollment in Tech history.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Now student attendance is a different story. That FAU game may have been our worst student attendance for a good weather game while school was in session since the end of the JB3 era, and this quarter we have the largest enrollment in Tech history.
    How would you fix that?

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

TMc screwed the frats and everyone else with his asinine tailgating rules...
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    How would you fix that?
    1. Don't choke away 4 games, and don't lose home games.

2. Leadership. Foster good relationships between Athletic Dept., University, and student groups (Greeks, ministries, other). Don't alienate Greeks! Instead of wasting money on stuff like foam sticks, use marketing budget to incentivize student group attendance. AD has great assets like DAC to offer for student events/parties that students are actually paying for with fees.

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Tmac has developed a playbook for killing the Game-day experience, he has perfected the process, he has been successful at something.

I would say this board has actually came up with many, many good ideas for increasing student attendance, but those suggestions have fallen on deaf ears.

The easiest way to get them there, ASK the students, they can tell you, mainly make it fun again.

+ Reply to Thread