+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A note to our fans & alums who drive a long way....

Champ Tech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant futureTech52 has a brilliant future Tech52's Avatar

Re: A note to our fans & alums who drive a long way....

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    The "Greeks" were never the majority of the east side or hideaway park tailgating. The students have been ignored and treated like crap since our current AD took over. Just go look at before and after pics of the crowds.
    Oh please. The students dont feel ignored or treated like crap. They are indifferent.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stodgdog View Post
    How?
    They negotiated lower prices for the boy scouts last year. This year they would not reduce the price for them.

Real smart to threaten folks when our university badly NEEDS student involvement. Dr. Guice should have a long talk with Jethro. Besides, I don't think it is illegal to drink alcohol, no matter what age one is.
    They said they did it to prevent them from being ticketed for underage possession. Most knew it was really an attempt to prevent bad pub like lsu was getting at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech52 View Post
    Oh please. The students dont feel ignored or treated like crap. They are indifferent.
    Like I said, look at the pics. "Indifference" didn't cause the drop off in student attendance. There has been no effort to generate or maintain student attendance in football or MBB.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

How?
    Last year we had $13 tickets (my pack brought 50 folks). This year is was $20 (with a soda & hot dog thrown in). We had 21.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

And I forgot to see if they actually got a voucher

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

They said they did it to prevent them from being ticketed for underage possession. Most knew it was really an attempt to prevent bad pub like lsu was getting at the time.
    Tech's email to students that killed student tailgating came immediately after KNOE came to campus to interview Sam Speed about what Tech was doing to prevent the crap that was happening at LSU.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

They negotiated lower prices for the boy scouts last year. This year they would not reduce the price for them.

Like I said, look at the pics. "Indifference" didn't cause the drop off in student attendance. There has been no effort to generate or maintain student attendance in football or MBB.
    I didn't know it was illegal to possess a legal product. I thought it was illegal to sell to underage people. That is a strange and over reaching law. In Richland Parish, it was legal to sell alcohol to those with a valid drivers license during my days at that age. It sure has become complicated.

Shame on T Mc for the Boy Scout thing. Treating one well at an early age often results in their fandom in later years. A good investment.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

I didn't know it was illegal to possess a legal product. I thought it was illegal to sell to underage people. That is a strange and over reaching law. In Richland Parish, it was legal to sell alcohol to those with a valid drivers license during my days at that age. It sure has become complicated.

Shame on T Mc for the Boy Scout thing. Treating one well at an early age often results in their fandom in later years. A good investment.
    I find it hard to believe that you didn’t know that in Louisiana (and probably nearly every other state), it is unlawful for any person under twenty-one years of age to purchase or have public possession of any alcoholic beverage.

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

I got a chance to talk with one of the Greek social chairs that Saturday and apparently the general feeling was that Sam Speed was neither trying to warn them or help them, he was not being a friend.

I look back on that and realize that really it was Speeds job to protect us from the state guys and help keep the Greeks involved. We are La TECH, Tech students and fans are not a bunch of mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging, Corn-dog U folks that have no social skills or restraint. We got lumped in with that bunch south of us and no-one took up for the students-fans, we should be prouder of our University than that and have someone who will fight when needed.

Many of you have said this is a classic TECH knee-jerk reaction to problem we do not even have nor anticipate having, I believe you are correct. When the word came down that the State Alcohol boys were going to be in town to be sure we behaved, a well placed telephone call or two could have probably had them sent somewhere else for their Saturday entertainment. Maybe Speed wanted them here, I don't know, that could have been part of the real problem, does anyone know the answer to that?

Some one tell me this also, Had there been any MIP or open container citations written, would they have not been handled at either the City or Parish level? The reason I ask is because not only do the students lose, but so does the University, City,and Parish, Like I said, a well placed call or two probably could have sent the state boys elsewhere. On top of everything else, the citations handled on the local level could have negated some of the agents citations.

This can be rectified, just takes a little effort and if Sam Speed called these guys in, he needs to be fired, he had no cause to call the State boys in. We actually have a great tailgate experience, I cannot see how Tommy and Sam thought they were improving it with these changes they made.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    I find it hard to believe that you didn’t know that in Louisiana (and probably nearly every other state), it is unlawful for any person under twenty-one years of age to purchase or have public possession of any alcoholic beverage.
    Well, I didn't. It doesn't concern me. When it did, the law was that it was illegal to sell alcohol to underage people (18 years of age). I didn't know the law had been changed to include possession.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BhadDawg View Post
    I got a chance to talk with one of the Greek social chairs that Saturday and apparently the general feeling was that Sam Speed was neither trying to warn them or help them, he was not being a friend.

I look back on that and realize that really it was Speeds job to protect us from the state guys and help keep the Greeks involved. We are La TECH, Tech students and fans are not a bunch of mouth-breathing, knuckle-dragging, Corn-dog U folks that have no social skills or restraint. We got lumped in with that bunch south of us and no-one took up for the students-fans, we should be prouder of our University than that and have someone who will fight when needed.
    Good post, but the email went out to all students, not just the greeks. Also, most all students attending enjoyed Hide Away tailgating.

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I didn't. It doesn't concern me. When it did, the law was that it was illegal to sell alcohol to underage people (18 years of age). I didn't know the law had been changed to include possession.
    IIRC, Louisiana was one of the last states to succumb to the pressure and overreach of the Federal Government to raise the legal age limit to 21, the feds threatened to hold back their share of our federal highway monies until we raised the legal limit. I don't know when the Minor in possession law came into being,it may have been around for a long time predating the age limit raise to 21. Those laws never really mattered to folks like you and I as we came of age ahead of all of those changes and it did not matter. I think the Minor in possession is a law that is probably enforced at will, depending on how big of a horses a$$ a LEO or a citizen wants to be, it goes both ways.

Since it is a slow day and I have little to do today, I am going to throw my opinion in on this drinking and possession age thing. A young man or woman becomes an adult when they turn 18, they are eligible to vote, vote on proposals to allow or disallow alcohol in certain areas and of certain percentages. These 18 year olds are also charged as adults in crimes, may enlist in the armed services without parental permission, must sign up for the draft and can be sent to war. These 18 year olds become completely responsible for their own actions, can get married, run for some political offices, etc., etc.. How did we ever let a group of politicians in Washington DC begin telling us, our state, that some one 18 years old could take on so many responsibilities yet could not decide for their-selves if they can drink and/or possess alcohol.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Since it is a slow day and I have little to do today, I am going to throw my opinion in on this drinking and possession age thing. A young man or woman becomes an adult when they turn 18, they are eligible to vote, vote on proposals to allow or disallow alcohol in certain areas and of certain percentages. These 18 year olds are also charged as adults in crimes, may enlist in the armed services without parental permission, must sign up for the draft and can be sent to war. These 18 year olds become completely responsible for their own actions, can get married, run for some political offices, etc., etc.. How did we ever let a group of politicians in Washington DC begin telling us, our state, that some one 18 years old could take on so many responsibilities yet could not decide for their-selves if they can drink and/or possess alcohol.
    While I don't disagree with you there is another solution. This 18 year old thing all started about the end of the Viet Nam war era. If the 18 year olds were old enough to fight and die then they should be able to vote. An alternate solution would have been not to draft 18 year olds (actually they didn't draft you until you were 18 1/2) but wait until the 21st birthday. Then they wouldn't have that conundrum.

The old law in Louisiana when I was young was that you could buy beer and anything at a bar if you were 18, but you had to be 21 to buy hard stuff at the liquor store. For a very short period the Feds let the states lower the age back to 19 but that didn't last long.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    While I don't disagree with you there is another solution. This 18 year old thing all started about the end of the Viet Nam war era. If the 18 year olds were old enough to fight and die then they should be able to vote. An alternate solution would have been not to draft 18 year olds (actually they didn't draft you until you were 18 1/2) but wait until the 21st birthday. Then they wouldn't have that conundrum.

The old law in Louisiana when I was young was that you could buy beer and anything at a bar if you were 18, but you had to be 21 to buy hard stuff at the liquor store. For a very short period the Feds let the states lower the age back to 19 but that didn't last long.
    Seems like I do remember something about having to be 21 to buy hard liquor, but cannot ever remember anyone enforcing it. The law was 18 when I was young also, being 18 was pretty much a ticket to buy anything in my part of the country. I believe I was 23 when they raised the age to 21 so I never felt any of the affects of the law, as a matter of fact, being 16 in my part of the world pretty much got you anything you wanted.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Welcome to the Deep State in Washington, DC.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Seems like I do remember something about having to be 21 to buy hard liquor, but cannot ever remember anyone enforcing it. The law was 18 when I was young also, being 18 was pretty much a ticket to buy anything in my part of the country. I believe I was 23 when they raised the age to 21 so I never felt any of the affects of the law, as a matter of fact, being 16 in my part of the world pretty much got you anything you wanted.
    When I was in college in the late 70's and living in Shreveport in the early '80's, it was perfectly legal for 18-yr olds to buy and possess beer and hard liquor. I think the law was changed to age 21 sometime in the late '80's or early 90's. Just another example of babying our young people. We do this kind of stuff, and then we wonder why our kids turn out to be Snowflakes.

+ Reply to Thread