+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basketball Media Day

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

Re: Basketball Media Day

You left out the Jackson Independent..
    might want to include Dodson's Piney Woods Journal too

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Open your eyes Brett - it's laziness period, it just carries over to basketball and baseball...

Has NOTHING to do with a football centric area

You've been in the local highschool gyms, they are pretty well attended - why LOCAL CONNECTION

TECH needs to tap into that local connection in all sports - and you can't do that through the Times or NewsStar
    A couple of things really quickly --

I haven't been in many North Louisiana gyms lately (I only get assignments there during the playoffs), but I'm in Cenla gyms all the time. Attendance is awful. Even at Peabody, with its outstanding basketball tradition, people don't show up for games. Basketball just isn't a big deal. I hate it. Basketball is my favorite sport. I spend a lot of time and energy in the sport, but it's just not very popular in Louisiana, especially in November and December.

There are a ton of issues facing the media industry, but laziness isn't one of them. I did it every single day. The demands that are being placed on journalists in the new media world are ridiculous. It's led to so much burnout because these guys are no longer reporters. They're reporters, tweeters, videographers, editors, planners, etc. -- all within the confines of a 40-hour work week. Buddy Davis put in an incredible amount of time. His work ethic was tremendous. But Buddy was also a salaried employee. When I was a salaried employee, I put in 50-60 hours per week, every single week. It was just part of the job. When you're not a salaried employee, and your company approves zero overtime, you're left with two choices. Break federal laws and put in 60 hours of work while getting paid for 40, or you try to manage the demands of the job within the time constraints you have. I'm not making any excuses, but that's the fact of the matter.

Louisiana Tech needs a dedicated beat writer. It's clear by now that's not going to happen. That's not a Lang decision. That's not a Ferrell decision. I know you guys think this is some big anti-Tech conspiracy by the local guys. It's just not. Those guys want a successful product way more than you and I do. It's their life. They do it every single day. We'd all love to have the resources we had back in 2005, but those days are never coming back again.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    A couple of things really quickly --

I haven't been in many North Louisiana gyms lately (I only get assignments there during the playoffs), but I'm in Cenla gyms all the time. Attendance is awful. Even at Peabody, with its outstanding basketball tradition, people don't show up for games. Basketball just isn't a big deal. I hate it. Basketball is my favorite sport. I spend a lot of time and energy in the sport, but it's just not very popular in Louisiana, especially in November and December.

There are a ton of issues facing the media industry, but laziness isn't one of them. I did it every single day. The demands that are being placed on journalists in the new media world are ridiculous. It's led to so much burnout because these guys are no longer reporters. They're reporters, tweeters, videographers, editors, planners, etc. -- all within the confines of a 40-hour work week. Buddy Davis put in an incredible amount of time. His work ethic was tremendous. But Buddy was also a salaried employee. When I was a salaried employee, I put in 50-60 hours per week, every single week. It was just part of the job. When you're not a salaried employee, and your company approves zero overtime, you're left with two choices. Break federal laws and put in 60 hours of work while getting paid for 40, or you try to manage the demands of the job within the time constraints you have. I'm not making any excuses, but that's the fact of the matter.

Louisiana Tech needs a dedicated beat writer. It's clear by now that's not going to happen. That's not a Lang decision. That's not a Ferrell decision. I know you guys think this is some big anti-Tech conspiracy by the local guys. It's just not. Those guys want a successful product way more than you and I do. It's their life. They do it every single day. We'd all love to have the resources we had back in 2005, but those days are never coming back again.
    They paid us very little respect in the 90s when Rattay and Company were better than the Baton Rouge juggernaut.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I'll say it again

It's laziness on the Times and NewsStar end

Putting out 36 hour old "news" in a print addition is not hard work

Buddy worked for a local independent daily, you are comparing apples to oranges

There is a reason the large papers are going belly up, it's their business model

When the Internet first became vogue, they didn't try to market or sell themselves to other 2nd and 3rd party sources to try and get hits and traffic, instead they THREATENED AND BULLIED and drove away sites and markets who could of helped push their digital product

And don't use the resource excuse, everyone has less resources to work with, it's the management and how you allocate those resources that determine the winners and losers
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

There is a reason the large papers are going belly up, it's their business model

When the Internet first became vogue, they didn't try to market or sell themselves to other 2nd and 3rd party sources to try and get hits and traffic, instead they THREATENED AND BULLIED and drove away sites and markets who could of helped push their digital product

And don't use the resource excuse, everyone has less resources to work with, it's the management and how you allocate those resources that determine the winners and losers
    I agree with you here. The business model of the large corporations has nothing to do with the work ethic of individual reporters. The people who have the boots on the ground in the local communities work hard and try to do their best with what they have available to them. They're just as frustrated by what's happening up the chain as everybody else.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Louisiana Tech needs a dedicated beat writer. It's clear by now that's not going to happen. That's not a Lang decision. That's not a Ferrell decision. I know you guys think this is some big anti-Tech conspiracy by the local guys. It's just not. Those guys want a successful product way more than you and I do. It's their life. They do it every single day.
    I'll say it again

It's laziness on the Times and NewsStar end

Putting out 36 hour old "news" in a print addition is not hard work

Buddy worked for a local independent daily, you are comparing apples to oranges

They're just as frustrated by what's happening up the chain as everybody else.
    It's not Ferrell's decision?

Who decides that ULM get's a dedicated beat writer?
    Who decides that Tech articles written by Diaz don't appear in the Times?
    Who decides that NSU is more important to the Times market than Tech?

Yeah, Ferrell and Lang hate Tech. They've as much as said so several times regarding the Indy Bowl 2012 fiasco. According to them it was ALL Tech's fault. That is a flat out lie.

+ Reply to Thread