+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Overall atmosphere at La Tech and at the Joe

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Overall atmosphere at La Tech and at the Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jycww View Post
    Bottom line for me is that for a University the size of Tech, the football experience should be much more than it is. Yes, I know the team isn't that good. As in these posts, some blame the coaching, some blame the AD, etc. Likely some or all of that is valid. But when I compare the atmosphere to those of first Texas high school games, and then certainly to those games for the universities in Texas (I am most familiar with Texas A&M since my kids graduated from there), regardless of how good the team is, going to the game and pre-game tailgate is always a wonderful and exciting time. At Aggies games, when the corp band march through the campus, it is lined with people 5-8 deep with excitement as the band comes through. Compare that to the Tech band that was marching to the Pavillion and then when playing, a total of about 10 people stood up and clapped when the fight song was played. During the game, the student side was only about 1/3 full and after the rain delay, it was much less so. Compare that to an Aggie or Longhorn game (not comparing the numbers per se as that wouldn't be fair...... but comparing the student sides to the capacity of the stadium) as neither team isn't that good this year and it is still full. There is excitement in the stands, even if it explodes when the rare touchdown is made (this year anyway). When we sat on the alumni side, few if any would even standup for the fight song much less clap, yell, etc. In fact, most of those around us were watching the Houston Astro playoff game on their phones vs. even paying attention to the game. All in all, it was one of the most disappointing experiences I have had for a while, even more so when I was looking so forward to being back in Ruston.
    As I have attended the alumni functions when the coaches from football, basketball, baseball, etc. have spoken, they talk about the teams and the great atmosphere. Sorry, but that was no where to be found for me. Will I make the drive from Houston back to Ruston again? No time soon for sure. Was really hoping for something better for sure.
    Paragraphs are your friend.

We have no tradition that actually belongs to us. All grass roots efforts have been killed by our current AD. We can't even get our board op and our band director on the same page and our AD is too uncaring to address the 10 year old problem.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post

Okay, I know that had to hurt. I get it. I have had broken bones before and such. But! that 280 lb specimen of a DL sat on the field grimacing in pain and the trainers had to go out to him and they sat there for 5 mins....GET THE EFF OFF THE FIELD YA PANSIE!!! It's your thumb, I think you can walk to the bench. Sheeesh!

Hell, I destroyed my finger playing softball, dove for a ball in the outfield and my finger came out looking like the letter Z. I trotted in to the dugout and advised our manager I was finished for the night. He says, "Why? What's the problem?" I held up my hand....he was like, OMG! I then drove myself to the hospital. It was broken in 7 places they said. How's that possible? It's a finger, not enough room for "7 places!"
    That's hilarious. If you were a 20-something year old snowflake, you would have required an ambulance.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jycww View Post
    Bottom line for me is that for a University the size of Tech, the football experience should be much more than it is. Yes, I know the team isn't that good. As in these posts, some blame the coaching, some blame the AD, etc. Likely some or all of that is valid. But when I compare the atmosphere to those of first Texas high school games, and then certainly to those games for the universities in Texas (I am most familiar with Texas A&M since my kids graduated from there), regardless of how good the team is, going to the game and pre-game tailgate is always a wonderful and exciting time. At Aggies games, when the corp band march through the campus, it is lined with people 5-8 deep with excitement as the band comes through. Compare that to the Tech band that was marching to the Pavillion and then when playing, a total of about 10 people stood up and clapped when the fight song was played. During the game, the student side was only about 1/3 full and after the rain delay, it was much less so. Compare that to an Aggie or Longhorn game (not comparing the numbers per se as that wouldn't be fair...... but comparing the student sides to the capacity of the stadium) as neither team isn't that good this year and it is still full. There is excitement in the stands, even if it explodes when the rare touchdown is made (this year anyway). When we sat on the alumni side, few if any would even standup for the fight song much less clap, yell, etc. In fact, most of those around us were watching the Houston Astro playoff game on their phones vs. even paying attention to the game. All in all, it was one of the most disappointing experiences I have had for a while, even more so when I was looking so forward to being back in Ruston.
    As I have attended the alumni functions when the coaches from football, basketball, baseball, etc. have spoken, they talk about the teams and the great atmosphere. Sorry, but that was no where to be found for me. Will I make the drive from Houston back to Ruston again? No time soon for sure. Was really hoping for something better for sure.
    It's been a very lame season. It's very difficult for experienced Tech fans to sit there and watch the same 3 or 4 plays run over and over and over offensively. No innovation. No energy. No passion. And no change, from week to week. And our coach is hell bent on not swapping out personnel. So we have to watch the same ole crap.

Even though we're in Week 11, our team still punts the ball 7 yards, gives up repeated 3rd down conversions defensively, misses easy chip shot field goals that most high school kickers can make and of course, manages to draw the conventional personal foul at the most inopportune time each week. It's all very predictable now. And yes, we still have players --in week 11-- that still do not know where to line up on special teams.

Our offense couldn't score if they all lived in a whorehouse.

I've heard more people complain about "being bored" at Tech games this year than any year I can remember. Even 2013 was more exciting than this. Skip Holtz is killing us.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by longdawgview View Post
    it exposes the brand to potential students.
    That'll keep you from ever holding office, ya know.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    That'll keep you from ever holding office, ya know.
    Nah, just run as a democrap. You can get away with murder.

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    It's been a very lame season. It's very difficult for experienced Tech fans to sit there and watch the same 3 or 4 plays run over and over and over offensively. No innovation. No energy. No passion. And no change, from week to week. And our coach is hell bent on not swapping out personnel. So we have to watch the same ole crap.

Even though we're in Week 11, our team still punts the ball 7 yards, gives up repeated 3rd down conversions defensively, misses easy chip shot field goals that most high school kickers can make and of course, manages to draw the conventional personal foul at the most inopportune time each week. It's all very predictable now. And yes, we still have players --in week 11-- that still do not know where to line up on special teams.

Our offense couldn't score if they all lived in a whorehouse.

I've heard more people complain about "being bored" at Tech games this year than any year I can remember. Even 2013 was more exciting than this. Skip Holtz is killing us.
    I was about to ask the same question of some of our older posters, I just do not ever remember a season with an atmosphere like this one.

I usually make all the home games with the exception of this year, yes I would still be attending them all if it were not for a health issue I have this year. I have been making games since 1982, that seems like a long time to some of you and yet it is about half as long as some of the posters on this board.

Let's get back to the subject though, does anyone remember the atmosphere around TECH Football being this bad? I don't...

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Well it wasn't too great in the 1966 season. We only won one game. Of course there was no "tail gating" then and the old stadium only held about 6000 total if you stretched it. We actually had that many students starting in 1965. The 1967 season wasn't much better. We did not win a conference game. Even lost to SLC who we at least beat the year before.

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Well it wasn't too great in the 1966 season. We only won one game. Of course there was no "tail gating" then and the old stadium only held about 6000 total if you stretched it. We actually had that many students starting in 1965. The 1967 season wasn't much better. We did not win a conference game. Even lost to SLC who we at least beat the year before.
    Yea...I figured some of you guys had seen some really hard times, bet that was tough to sit through, but did the fan base seem to lose all hope as they have this year? Does not seem many care if we win any more games this year, go to a bowl, etc.. I think it feels to some of us, even if we have a miraculous turnaround for next year, we are just not that excited about 2018 either.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by BhadDawg View Post
    I was about to ask the same question of some of our older posters, I just do not ever remember a season with an atmosphere like this one.

I usually make all the home games with the exception of this year, yes I would still be attending them all if it were not for a health issue I have this year. I have been making games since 1982, that seems like a long time to some of you and yet it is about half as long as some of the posters on this board.

Let's get back to the subject though, does anyone remember the atmosphere around TECH Football being this bad? I don't...
    Saturday's atmosphere is still several notches above some of the Bicknell era games late in the season

UTEP at Shreveport

Rice blowout in Ruston

The freezing Fresno St game with Corso and Lou in the booth

Are some that are really etched in my mind

UTEP might of had 3,000 people in attendance in Shreveport and they beat us like a rented mule
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Yes DFW the last Bicknell years were pretty awful. I had season tickets then and remember them well. The hope was that he would be gone. Then we had DD who brought some life back into the program even though he had only one winning season out of three.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Saturday's atmosphere is still several notches above some of the Bicknell era games late in the season

UTEP at Shreveport

UTEP might of had 3,000 people in attendance in Shreveport and they beat us like a rented mule
    We beat UTEP that year (2002) - but the stadium was empty & it was COLD.
    November 23 2:00 PM UTEP Independence Stadium • Shreveport, LA W 38–24 9,267

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    We beat UTEP that year (2002) - but the stadium was empty & it was COLD.
    Was it 3 or 4 games in Ruston that year?

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

ok -

Just remember the awful experience - I think they had ONE concession stand open on the east side
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Was it 3 or 4 games in Ruston that year?
    3 in Ruston - 2 in Independence

I'm glad we've gotten away from the 4 P5 games!
    August 31 7:00 PM Oklahoma State* Independence StadiumShreveport, LA W 39–36 31,391
    September 7 12:00 PM at Clemson* Memorial StadiumClemson, SC L 13–33 72,616
    September 14 1:00 PM Tulsa Joe Aillet StadiumRuston, LA FSN W 53–9 18,600
    September 21 11:00 AM at Penn State* Beaver StadiumUniversity Park, PA ESPN+ L 17–49 103,987
    September 28 6:00 PM at No. 24 Texas A&M* Kyle FieldCollege Station, TX L 3–31 72,802
    October 5 7:00 PM at Rice Reliant StadiumHouston, TX L 20–37 20,895
    October 19 2:00 PM at SMU Gerald J. Ford StadiumDallas, TX L 34–37 14,836
    October 26 2:00 PM Nevada Joe Aillet Stadium • Ruston, LA W 50–47 15,315
    November 9 4:00 PM at San Jose State Spartan StadiumSan Jose, CA L 30–42 6,391
    November 16 2:05 PM at No. 23 Boise State Bronco StadiumBoise, ID L 10–36 28,413
    December 5 6:00 PM Fresno State Joe Aillet Stadium • Ruston, LA (Battle for the Bone) ESPN2 L 13–45 17,810

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post

UTEP at Shreveport

Rice blowout in Ruston

The freezing Fresno St game with Corso and Lou in the booth

Are some that are really etched in my mind

Rice game was bleak. But it did give us the "Help Jack Pack" chant.

+ Reply to Thread