+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 12: @UTEP (11/18)

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Week 12: @UTEP (11/18)

Quote Originally Posted by eagle2180 View Post
    No, the I bowl has struggled since the 80's. Rumors of it being the last year of existence long before 2012....
    Not true.

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    Not true.
    Really? Prove it. I grew up in Shreveport, went to many of I-Bowls in the 80's,90's with poor attendance......Have heard many a rumor of it's demise.....It might fold but it won't be because Tech didn't play in the 2012 game.

Champ Lotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant future

Really? Prove it. I grew up in Shreveport, went to many of I-Bowls in the 80's,90's with poor attendance......Have heard many a rumor of it's demise.....It might fold but it won't be because Tech didn't play in the 2012 game.
    Agree. The I-Bowl demise is not because of Tech. The I-Bowl death is because of poor leadership and a misguided (Missy Setter and crew) group that had unrealistic expectations of who they needed (or wanted) to be aligned with…for Pete’s sake unless LSU is desperate the Indy bowl is not a destination they’ll choose. In the SBC area who gives a crap with the bottom tier of SEC and ACC affiliation with the bowl? It hasn’t put butts in seats! Just saying!!!! Instead they should have worked with CUSA with the attraction of TECH or the AAC or MWC or the Belch for that matter (I cant’ believe I just said that) making it a more attractive regional game.

Champ eagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to beholdeagle2180 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Lotsudo View Post
    Agree. The I-Bowl demise is not because of Tech. The I-Bowl death is because of poor leadership and a misguided (Missy Setter and crew) group that had unrealistic expectations of who they needed (or wanted) to be aligned with…for Pete’s sake unless LSU is desperate the Indy bowl is not a destination they’ll choose. In the SBC area who gives a crap with the bottom tier of SEC and ACC affiliation with the bowl? It hasn’t put butts in seats! Just saying!!!! Instead they should have worked with CUSA with the attraction of TECH or the AAC or MWC or the Belch for that matter (I cant’ believe I just said that) making it a more attractive regional game.
    What are the chances of a CUSA or SBC vs a lower SEC/ ACC opponent? I can see that being beneficial to the I-Bowl.

Champ Lotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant future

What are the chances of a CUSA or SBC vs a lower SEC/ ACC opponent? I can see that being beneficial to the I-Bowl.
    The I-bowl needs to raise or change it’s expectations which means offering more money to schools which means finding a long term sponsor that wants to stay with the bowl long term or get realistic by aligning the bowl with conferences that is willing to make it a viable bowl game for those that can't get into the G-5 bowls.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Why are you offering opinions on what would benefit the I-Bowl? Have you actually ever run the I-Bowl before?

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Why are you offering opinions on what would benefit the I-Bowl? Have you actually ever run the I-Bowl before?
    No, just attended many an I-bowl with my dad, before my days at Tech. Good memories.

Champ FriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeFriscoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

No, the I bowl has struggled since the 80's. Rumors of it being the last year of existence long before 2012....
    Was the bowl in decline in 1990 when Tech and Maryland tied before 48,000+? Or in 1995 and 1997 when LSU played in it? Or when Oklahoma, Texas A&M, Alabama, Nebraska, and Arkansas played in games from 1999-2003? Don't think so.

The bowl started struggling in the mid-2000s when it got passed up by more than 10 newer bowls with better organization, better sponsorship deals, and bigger payouts. It wasn't that long ago that it had the #6 or #7 SEC team. Now there usually have to be 11 SEC teams in bowls for one of them to be forced to go to Shreveport.

I stand by my comment that the decline has been steeper since the 2012 debacle than it was before then. Since 1980, there has only been one 4-year stretch of consecutive announced attendance figures under 40,000. After the 2012 game's announced figure of 41,853 that didn't have half that crowd actually in the stadium, the last 4 games have failed to reach 39,000 with the last two only at 31,289 and 28,995.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Before our 1990 appearance the word was the I Bowl was in danger of being desanctioned by the NCAA due to low attendance. That was the scuttlebutt anyway.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Anyway..

Good job Dawgs beating UTEP. Took care of business to set up "something to play for" vs. UTSA.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Prove it? Prove your OPINION was not correct? You said...

the I bowl has struggled since the 80's. Rumors of it being the last year of existence long before 2012....

It did not "struggle" until the bowl count grew and ESPN took over most of the bowl games. Nobody suggested their screw up in 2012 was the tipping point. It was a combination of things starting with HORRIBLE management by the committee that got them into trouble.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Anyway..

Good job Dawgs beating UTEP. Took care of business to set up "something to play for" vs. UTSA.
    Yep. I definitely expect a tough game. Can this team win one of those when it counts the most?
    Good old Memorial Gym

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Other than the W, the thing that made me the most happy about yesterday's game was the performance of 'Quiz. What a great day for him!
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    He said "Tech turned down the I Bowl invitation a few years ago" which is not true.
    I'm quite sure the people that continue that nonsense are aware of the actual sequence of events, but choose to ignore the facts in their zeal to criticize Tech.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

What is the truth? The I Bowl offered an invite. We asked for more time before accepting. They wanted a yes or no.....
    Tech was consistent in their stance from the beginning. Ohio wasn't going anywhere, so the I Bowl could have waited a few hours.

+ Reply to Thread