+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who are these guys?

Champ JDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant future JDubyadawg's Avatar

Who are these guys?

I use to constantly look at the roster to learn the players and their numbers. I would compare the spring roster to the depth chart before the first game to see the difference. I quit doing this a few years ago because it seemed like the roster was full of what I would call “ghost players “. Their name would appear on the roster but they would never be seen. I know some of these are walkons etc. but today in church we were discussing Tech QB’s and someone asked me about the St. Thomas More kid and I said “who”?

So who the heck is Nate Cox from St Thomas More HS and Justin Stolberg from Fountainbleau HS?

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Re: Who are these guys?

Gotta give the freshmen a little time in the program before expecting much from them (especially QBs and OL). Nate Cox 6'-8" freshman QB passed for 3,400 yards and 48 TDs his senior season http://www.hudl.com/profile/2864996/nate-cox

Justin Stolberg is a preferred walkon freshman QB.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Gotta give the freshmen a little time in the program before expecting much from them (especially QBs and OL). Nate Cox 6'-8" freshman QB passed for 3,400 yards and 48 TDs his senior season http://www.hudl.com/profile/2864996/nate-cox

Justin Stolberg is a preferred walkon freshman QB.
    That kid (Cox) is very good. He has a strong arm and moves around real well in the pocket. He doesn't panic in the pocket the way J'Mar does. You can already see that Nate Cox is twice the QB that J'Mar is.

Champ Lotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant futureLotsudo has a brilliant future

He's LSU bound or another SEC school

Cox looks really good, I can't believe that he is not on scholarship.

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    That kid (Cox) is very good. He has a strong arm and moves around real well in the pocket. He doesn't panic in the pocket the way J'Mar does. You can already see that Nate Cox is twice the QB that J'Mar is.
    Twice the QB

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dixonfor6 View Post
    Twice the QB
    If the measure of a QB is his inseam.

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    If the measure of a QB is his inseam.
    No, this 6’8 freshman with no D1 offers after going 43/5 at a 5A school is twice the QB..

Somethings up. I don’t care who says what. Any decent team would beg for him because of potential and those numbers.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dixonfor6 View Post
    No, this 6’8 freshman with no D1 offers after going 43/5 at a 5A school is twice the QB..

Somethings up. I don’t care who says what. Any decent team would beg for him because of potential and those numbers.
    I saw him on film in 3 different games and then live in the state championship game last season. He was a first year starter who struggled early in the season. He was very up and down. He had a game against Hahnville early in the season where he looked like he had never been on a football field. As a first year starter he was never on any school's radar, and then likely fell completely off the map with his early season struggles. There was also a belief that he would focus on basketball in college.

As it turns out one of the problems was that STM had injuries everywhere. When many of those kid got back on the field and Cox got some experience, his play improved dramatically which culminated in his performance in the state championship game.

The combination of his early season film which isn't good, his weight during the season which was under 190 pounds, and the belief he was going to play basketball in college all steered recruiters away from him.

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    I saw him on film in 3 different games and then live in the state championship game last season. He was a first year starter who struggled early in the season. He was very up and down. He had a game against Hahnville early in the season where he looked like he had never been on a football field. As a first year starter he was never on any school's radar, and then likely fell completely off the map with his early season struggles. There was also a belief that he would focus on basketball in college.

As it turns out one of the problems was that STM had injuries everywhere. When many of those kid got back on the field and Cox got some experience, his play improved dramatically which culminated in his performance in the state championship game.

The combination of his early season film which isn't good, his weight during the season which was under 190 pounds, and the belief he was going to play basketball in college all steered recruiters away from him.
    Glad you brought some of that to light, that could explain a lot. I, like others, felt like there was something suspect about this whole thing, why was he not recruited more heavily than others.

Did we put him on scholarship, I thought I saw that we did after the defection of our other two QB's, did we even recruit him till after the QB defections?

I commented on him before, should he have difficulty getting playing time at QB, at 6'8", just stand him in the end-zone, he has basketball skills, he should be able to catch!

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Check out this video of Cox. http://www.hudl.com/profile/2864996/nate-cox Cox was originally a preferred walkon, but, committed to Tyler JC and then came to Tech late after fall practice started. He has a very strong arm and good agility.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DONW View Post
    Check out this video of Cox. http://www.hudl.com/profile/2864996/nate-cox Cox was originally a preferred walkon, but, committed to Tyler JC and then came to Tech late after fall practice started. He has a very strong arm and good agility.
    I continue to be impressed by the video I see of this Cox kid. He really looks comfortable standing and staying in the pocket to make the throw. J'Mar can't do that. J'Mar is too nervous in the pocket. J'Mar is afraid of getting hit.

Champ JDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant future JDubyadawg's Avatar

So I asked this same question at our tailgate this weekend and no one knew any of these guys until somebody said he had heard about Cox. I asked him what he knew and he said he heard he was dumb as a brick. That’s the usual standard response I hear about these players. The kid is from St. Thomas More HS so I seriously doubt he is a “dumb brick”. I did spot him on the sideline at the game. I thought at first he was standing on one of the benches then realized he was just that much taller than everyone standing around him.

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I continue to be impressed by the video I see of this Cox kid. He really looks comfortable standing and staying in the pocket to make the throw. J'Mar can't do that. J'Mar is too nervous in the pocket. J'Mar is afraid of getting hit.
    Cox has never played behind this OL! HaHa

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Gooddawg View Post
    Cox has never played behind this OL! HaHa
    He won't have to worry about seeing over them when he does play.

+ Reply to Thread