+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coming Alabaman game

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: Coming Alabaman game

Quote Originally Posted by Dixonfor6 View Post
    Avery Johnson has brought very highly rated recruits into Tuscaloosa. They start I think 4 freshmen. Maybe we catch them still in their learning curve.. but they may click late and make a great push. They have a fantastic coach.
    I'm not real crazy about Avery Johnson. He never really had to pay his dues like everyone else in the NBA, and some of his bad decisions cost the Dallas Mavericks the 2006 NBA Championship (won by Dwyane Wade and Miami). In fact, that 2006 NBA Final was a classic "choke job" by Avery Johnson.

Johnson got his first asst coaching job under Don Nelson in Dallas in late 2004, and 5 months later Nelson resigned. Essentially, Johnson was handed the keys to a brand new Ferrari, that he played no part in building. But the organization got behind him and propped him up. Obviously he won a lot of games, even being named NBA "Coach of the Year" in 2006. But YOU too could have done well coaching those Maverick teams from 2004 thru 2008.

Avery Johnson was a big time underachiever as head coach of the Dallas Mavericks. He couldn't win playoff games. The longer Johnson stayed in Dallas, the worse his Maverick teams performed in the playoffs, despite have superior talent. (The Mavs eventually won the 2011 NBA title 3 years after Avery left.)

From Wikipedia:

"In the 2006–07 season, Avery Johnson's Mavericks had the best record in the NBA with 67 wins and entered the playoffs as the top seed. However, his Mavericks lost to the eighth-seeded Golden State Warriors, led by former Mavericks head coach Don Nelson, in one of the biggest upsets in recent NBA history."

"Following the 2007–08 season, the Mavericks under Johnson were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs for the second year in a row. A day later, on April 30, 2008, Johnson was dismissed as head coach of the Mavericks."
    That's right, his mentor big Daddy Don Nelson, took Johnson to the woodshed and reminded him who was boss. After that, it was all down hill until the Mavericks forced Johnson out.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Tech got 5 points in the Coaches Poll this week.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    UTA took them to the wire, 77-76

https://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...121_TXARL@BAMA

Side note: we need to play UTA
    I think we just finished a 2 year contract with them last year. I agree and I am sure they will be back on the schedule again soon. They are always well-coached and athletic but similar to us, don't think they have been able to break through and get in NCAA tourney lately and their rpi always suffers due to conference play.

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

The last game was in 15, so two years ago, but we did beat them. I remember playing them in Arlington in recent years as well, but don't remember when.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Last time we played them was in the MTE that had us play at Ohio St, Memphis & Grambling & Host UTA IIRC

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gooddawg View Post
    I think we just finished a 2 year contract with them last year. I agree and I am sure they will be back on the schedule again soon. They are always well-coached and athletic but similar to us, don't think they have been able to break through and get in NCAA tourney lately and their rpi always suffers due to conference play.
    Yeah, UTA is similar to Tech and UALR. Solid program, good records, decent OOC scalps most years, but conference reputation means if you don't win the conference tournament you don't go to the big dance. UTA has been more recently than us (2008). Last year I think they won the Sunbelt regular season then got upset in the tournament, were under-seeded in the NIT and made a good run. They have a very good (local Arlington guy) NBA prospect on the current team.

And yes, like UALR, we should be playing them.

Champ LEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud ofLEEDAWG has much to be proud of LEEDAWG's Avatar

My Fox Sports App preview for this game says “Alabama is likely to win handily at home”.

Well I beg to differ.

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

I am king of drunk posting, but this thread title makes me laugh every time.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    I think we have a reasonable shot to win it (42% or so). I don't normally think of Bama as a basketball school, they've been improving the last few years, and somehow we catch them on the way up. That's what I meant.

Don't think I'm wringing hands. Football has taught me a valuable lesson this year about expectations for Tech sports, maybe this year it'll stick.

Still think we have a pretty good season. 23 wins is my benchmark (54% of scenarios I tested). Outside shot at 27 wins. Regular season, of course.
    KenPom only gives us a 13% chance to win tonight.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Yeah, UTA is similar to Tech and UALR. Solid program, good records, decent OOC scalps most years, but conference reputation means if you don't win the conference tournament you don't go to the big dance. UTA has been more recently than us (2008). Last year I think they won the Sunbelt regular season then got upset in the tournament, were under-seeded in the NIT and made a good run. They have a very good (local Arlington guy) NBA prospect on the current team.

And yes, like UALR, we should be playing them.
    UALR has turned into hot garbage. Worst team in the Belch at 1-5, KP #304.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    KenPom only gives us a 13% chance to win tonight.
    Still early. KenPom is better than I am especially so early.

I take my number to mean we'll keep it close for a while then Bama will get hot from 3 like all the teams we play and we'll lose by 20.

But I don't know if a while is 35 minutes or 5.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    UALR has turned into hot garbage. Worst team in the Belch at 1-5, KP #304.
    It can all drop off pretty fast I guess.

I'd still like UALR and UTA in our regular basketball rotation (and baseball for that matter). And not totally for selfish reasons.

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar

Well Central Florida finished off Alabama yesterday and beat them at home.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gooddawg View Post
    Well Central Florida finished off Alabama yesterday and beat them at home.
    Alabama is a 2-player team. If you keep fresh defensive legs on those two players, the Tide is toast!

+ Reply to Thread