+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rock, paper, scissors

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Rock, paper, scissors

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Why do people --even good people like you-- say stuff like that? I've seen absolutely nothing to indicate that J'Mar Smith is worth the time we already have invested in him as our QB. To the contrary, he's gotten much WORSE instead of better as time has gone by.

I sincerely hope Skip Holtz takes this off-season to recruit a couple of really good QB's from the JUCO ranks. Or maybe find another 5th yr senior transfer. Or maybe even just a freshman recruit, who could possibly start for us in 2019. What I am certain of is this: if Holtz continues to back J'Mar only, LA Tech will end up being forced to fire Holtz before his contract expires. None of us want to see that happen. So please, start looking elsewhere for LA Tech's next QB TODAY!!
    We all like to give people the benefit of the doubt, even when things are obvious. J'mar is probably a fine young man, a good athlete, etc., but I am afraid at this time he is just not a good QB. I have been pretty critical of J'Mars play, abilities and his regression through the season, not sure how he got to this point, but I do blame at least some of it on the coaches. The coaches should have let him ride the pine this year for his own benefit above all else.

I fear their has been irreparable damage done to J'Mars football phsycie, he may not recover, if he ever had those abilities. I think he is a good athlete and wish him the very best, who knows, he may make a heck of a receiver or defender.

I am with you though on the QB, Holtz needs to be making other arrangements. I am pretty sure three weeks of practice would not have him ready for bowl game or nine months will have him ready for 2018. I would hate to have to tell the young man that, but I think it is time for Holtz to have the talk with him, or our AD will have to have the talk with Holtz after 2018 season.

Remember when we blew a 20 point lead against MTSU with Ryan Higgins.

Remember losing to NW St and ODU with Sokol.

J'Mar needs to play better and should have competition. Having someone else call the plays would really help, but I guess we can't have that now can we. LA Tech can't possibly tell someone what to do that works for them.

Arizona State's coach was fired today, maybe we could get John Simon as WR coach.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BhadDawg View Post
    We all like to give people the benefit of the doubt, even when things are obvious. J'mar is probably a fine young man, a good athlete, etc., but I am afraid at this time he is just not a good QB. I have been pretty critical of J'Mars play, abilities and his regression through the season, not sure how he got to this point, but I do blame at least some of it on the coaches. The coaches should have let him ride the pine this year for his own benefit above all else.

I fear their has been irreparable damage done to J'Mars football phsycie, he may not recover, if he ever had those abilities. I think he is a good athlete and wish him the very best, who knows, he may make a heck of a receiver or defender.

I am with you though on the QB, Holtz needs to be making other arrangements. I am pretty sure three weeks of practice would not have him ready for bowl game or nine months will have him ready for 2018. I would hate to have to tell the young man that, but I think it is time for Holtz to have the talk with him, or our AD will have to have the talk with Holtz after 2018 season.
    sad when I see posts like this--#1 Holtz works tirelessly raising $$ for Tech-- Tommy brings Skip as much as possible because he is a "closer"--guess you have zero idea how he has impacted our fundraising. 33 wins in 4 years to a program that is considered stepping stone --he has created stability . I can see the recruits bailing if Skip bails-- zero chance he will be terminated-ZERO

after game Skip interview on field-- great things about Defense -Boston- more about Amik-Ferguson-Craft and then , paraphrase, talking about game : "worst passing game in history of football"
    that's a clue for you--he is not happy with our passing game. Our program once had a qb throw 6 picks in 1 game, I saw it in Shreveport--he got better

Jmars father was NFL player and Alabama starter for years-- doubt much anyone can do better than his dad. My only thought is decide between football or baseball -then open competition for 2018

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

J'Mar needs to decide if he is going to play football or baseball and go with that one. Skippy can then decide what we need to do next.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    Our program once had a qb throw 6 picks in 1 game, I saw it in Shreveport
    I think you may have mentioned this once or twice before.

Was it also cold that day?

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

sad when I see posts like this--#1 Holtz works tirelessly raising $$ for Tech-- Tommy brings Skip as much as possible because he is a "closer"--guess you have zero idea how he has impacted our fundraising. 33 wins in 4 years to a program that is considered stepping stone --he has created stability . I can see the recruits bailing if Skip bails-- zero chance he will be terminated-ZERO

after game Skip interview on field-- great things about Defense -Boston- more about Amik-Ferguson-Craft and then , paraphrase, talking about game : "worst passing game in history of football"
    that's a clue for you--he is not happy with our passing game. Our program once had a qb throw 6 picks in 1 game, I saw it in Shreveport--he got better

Jmars father was NFL player and Alabama starter for years-- doubt much anyone can do better than his dad. My only thought is decide between football or baseball -then open competition for 2018
    65-Sorry that this saddens you, but I have an opinion just like you and even though my post did not have anything to do with fundraising and Tommy, I will reply. I think we all realize Holtz works at fundraising, Coaches have been much more involved since Dooley. That is part of Skips job and in the long run it makes his job easier when he has better facilities and resources. 65-Yes, I do know that he has impacted our fundraising, I don't live in a cave off the grid.

T'Mac, Well I guess I don't get to see the closer part of him, I am not up in that echelon of donors that would see that, what I do see is the game day experience which he is ultimately in charge of. We make so many simple mistakes and errors on game day, marketing, ticket promotions, etc. that are a simple fix, Tommy needs to address those and fix them.

33 wins in 4 years, don't forget the three bowl games, yea he was hired to stabilize, he was hired after being fired from a dumpster fire that he may have started and turned a blind eye to until it was out of control. I don't and no one else knows who was fully responsible for that mess, but he ended up being ultimately responsible for that. 65, you know what, I LIKE HCSH, have never said I did not, he has some qualities you do not see often in the NCAA, but he also has some quirks he needs to work on such as being stubborn in his play calling, you can't deny that one.

HCSH is coaching in CUSA 3.0, it is no where near the level of competition as the WAC, we are in a bad conference. Since we have been in CUSA, how many teams have you seen ranked in the top 25 for more than a couple weeks or ranked at all? The list is short. Skip should be winning here, it is not a hard conference.

Will HCSH be terminated?, we all know better than that. Do we want him terminated? I don't, not at this point anyway, and never have you seen me ask for him to be, however I do want to see him make some changes in some of his personnel at the player and coach level. There are glaring and obvious faults in our program that EVERYONE sees, I have to believe he sees them also. Yes we will lose recruits if HCSH were to leave, that happens anywhere a coach leaves no matter what, we have all seen it.

HCSH always says great things about everyone that is not anything new, although those particular players needed some extra praise. Most all of us has commented the defensive players are improving and BB's play calling may be improving, our DC still needs improvement though. HCSH is not happy with our passing game? He just now admits that? Where has he been? That has been obvious for a while and has only gotten worse, that is why I thought J'Mar needed to sit and collect himself for a game or so and get comfortable again if he ever was.

Someone QB'ing for TECH has thrown six interceptions in one game, please, everyone give it a rest. TB was a unique QB, but there are Lot's of QB's every year who throw lot's of interceptions in single games and never improve, TB beat the odds. Lightning seldom strikes twice in the same place!

J'mars father, yes that really is a good reason to believe the football genes are there and I suspect they are, some one needs to coax them out into the open though.

You are right, very, very seldom do great players play two collegiate sports and excel at both, Jmar should choose. I am all for an open competition on an annual basis and throughout the season.

65-you seem sad a lot, especially when seeing others opinions, should we send you some prozac ?

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

We have a pretty nice 3 star recruit at QB Aaron Allen. Firm Commit. I don't know if they will keep him at the QB position or are recruiting him for his athleticism.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Unless J'Mar gets MUCH better at QB between now and 2018, I don't even want him in the QB mix for 2018. The "Open competition" you speak of needs to be really open. J'Mar has had 13 full games to get it right, and he's only gotten worse. I don't care if he's Bear Bryant's grandson, at some point we have to look out for the best interest of Louisiana Tech, and not just J'Mar.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Good post!!

Champ Gooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond reputeGooddawg has a reputation beyond repute Gooddawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 70TECHGRAD View Post
    J'Mar needs to decide if he is going to play football or baseball and go with that one. Skippy can then decide what we need to do next.
    I disagree, he made every spring football practice last year while playing baseball. I don't think it affected him at all. Did he have the type of year he wanted or we expected? No but I want him to succeed at both and frankly we need him to. We lost a lot of players on the baseball team last year especially position players. He will also have the most experience at QB by far returning next year. If he loses the starting job at QB, he would be a very valuable back-up at the least.

He had a shot to take the QB position by the reigns and hold everyone off but he did not do that this year. I still believe he will next year but it will not be given to him that is for sure, nor should it be. He will have some good competition in the spring from at least two other QBs. If he earns it great, if someone else proves to be better then I have no problem. There is a reason he was the only QB who took snaps this year, he was the most talented and ready. Based off last year, everyone thought he would succeed and he has had moments and games but been up and down all year. I can name 2-3 other QBs who started off looking worse than J'Mar and turned out much better a year or two later. Matt Kubik and Ryan Higgins are two none on this board should have trouble remembering.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Gooddawg View Post
    I disagree, he made every spring football practice last year while playing baseball. I don't think it affected him at all. Did he have the type of year he wanted or we expected? No but I want him to succeed at both and frankly we need him to. We lost a lot of players on the baseball team last year especially position players. He will also have the most experience at QB by far returning next year. If he loses the starting job at QB, he would be a very valuable back-up at the least.

He had a shot to take the QB position by the reigns and hold everyone off but he did not do that this year. I still believe he will next year but it will not be given to him that is for sure, nor should it be. He will have some good competition in the spring from at least two other QBs. If he earns it great, if someone else proves to be better then I have no problem. There is a reason he was the only QB who took snaps this year, he was the most talented and ready. Based off last year, everyone thought he would succeed and he has had moments and games but been up and down all year. I can name 2-3 other QBs who started off looking worse than J'Mar and turned out much better a year or two later. Matt Kubik and Ryan Higgins are two none on this board should have trouble remembering.
    A good post!

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

As for Tech QBs throwing picks, well hello! I believe Matt Dunigan holds the career record for INTs at Tech. Think I saw that somewhere. Regardless, it's true Dunigan had a lot of picks. Weren't always his fault, sometimes he put too much mustard on it and the WR couldn't hold on to it. Still, with all those INTs I'd take Matt Dunigan in a heartbeat if someone said, Hey! we have a Matt Dunigan clone a senior in HS and he wants to come to Tech. I would NOT say, no thanks, he throws too many picks.

For you youngsters who didn't get to see him play, here's just an example. Saw a game when he was flushed from the pocket and he was running for his life toward the right sideline, he was running along the 50 yard line, he spies one of our guys dragging across the field step for step with him, the WR waving his hand. Dunigan sees him and lets loose a frickin' rocket! Touchdown! Our WR was five yards deep in the EZ. Dunigan, while on the run, threw a frozen rope 55 yards right on the money. Some of the opposing fans near me threw up their hands in disbelief, did you see that effing throw!!??

I know Terry B. had a strong arm. Dunigan had a cannon. But, as I said, he was guilty of throwing a bunch of picks. Tried to do too much at times. One of the best to ever don a Tech uniform.

My point? I don't know if I had a point, 'cept to say sometimes you have to look past the numbers and look at the player. And, I suppose it's because EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE was willing to look past his faults, such as the INTs, because he was so damn good and FUN to watch!!! Dunigan saw PT as a freshman in 1979 when the starter was out with injuries, and then Dunigan was the official #1 QB his sophomore year in 1980. He was a 3-year starter. Kind of like Smith's current situation.

Champ mildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond repute mildawg's Avatar

I almost wish J'Mar was throwing more INTs... at least that would mean he was putting it somewhere where someone could catch it and not throwing it in the dirt or sailing it into the 6th row.

People don't come to our games and that is because of Skip Holtz.

+ Reply to Thread