+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: SKIP HOLTZ - SpecTECHular Career So Far

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Re: SKIP Holtz -- Spectacular career so far

Quote Originally Posted by touchdown123 View Post
    Dude's aight but that's it. I wonder what would have happened had Sokol and Driscoll not transferred in.
    we would have developed Higgins quicker--- most folks know Driscill WANTED to play for Skip-- Sokol wanted to play for a proven winner -- all right does not get that kind of talent in-- Coach worked hard to get them . All right does not get you into 8 new year day bowl games . Wins against Notre dame and top 20 ranking . Most folks have zero understanding of how hard Skip has worked to bring in millions for facility upgrades -- he ,hopefully, move into most wins of any Tech coach since we move from division 2 next year and he has developed more NFL drafts (10) than any non p5 program since 2013. I am not fond of one and done coaches dying to bail ASAP --that seems to be the wish of a FEW folks

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Re: SKIP Holtz - Mediocre is Thy Middle Name

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    The point is that Holtz has yet to recruit a decent QB THAT PLAYED ANY FOOTBALL. Higgins was recruited by Dykes and spent his freshman year red shirting in 2012 before Holtz even arrived. Sokol and Driskel were gifts from the sky. Higgins was a gift from Dykes. In J'Mar Smith, we are really having our first experience with a Holtz recruited QB. And it's not going well.
    J'Mar's father played for Alabama when we beat them twice and he played in NFL. Lot of respect for Tim in the family ---we all have seen moments of talent with J'Mar -I get it but give me a break-- Sokol-Driscol were both BENCHED and and Skip understood what he could do with them-- it was brilliant recruiting that got them to Tech - Dykes did get us Higgins but somehow Holtz managed to keep him feeling part of program til he was ready to start.

Just disagree that Sokol and Driscall do not qualify as "decent QBs" and Holtz did not recruit them ( I think offering a guy a scholarship and the vision you have for their talent"does not qualify as recruiting)

Quote Originally Posted by JuBru View Post
    How much of that NFL talent did he bring in?
    I keep posting the word develop -- I consider that coaching up talent and our trainer has done great job also--

FOR THE RECORD==I ABSOLUTELY NEVER POSTED WORD MEDIOCRE--MY POST WAS HIJACKED AND WORD MEDIOCRE INSERTED INSERTED -- I USED WORD SPECTACULAR 9as hyperboly --I do believe the body of work under Skip has been great--that include the tireless work raising funds for program development-- Nothing about Skip is Mediocre -- actually take offense that thread title was changed BUT kind of explains my frustration with BBB at times

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

You're right, nothing about him is mediocre.

His record in bowl games is great!

His record in conference championship games is HORRIBLE
    His record against P5 teams is HORRIBLE
    His record against any team half decent is HORRIBLE
    His record in games where he trails after the first quarter is HORRIBLE

His overall record at Tech is, in fact, slightly above 0.500 so not technically mediocre.

You are entitled to your opinion. But it is a fact that Skip has underperformed, and the veil has been peeled back this season.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I did, he is mediocre😏
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    J'Mar's father played for Alabama when we beat them twice and he played in NFL. Lot of respect for Tim in the family ---we all have seen moments of talent with J'Mar -I get it but give me a break-- Sokol-Driscol were both BENCHED and and Skip understood what he could do with them-- it was brilliant recruiting that got them to Tech - Dykes did get us Higgins but somehow Holtz managed to keep him feeling part of program til he was ready to start.

Just disagree that Sokol and Driscall do not qualify as "decent QBs" and Holtz did not recruit them ( I think offering a guy a scholarship and the vision you have for their talent"does not qualify as recruiting)
    Whop, whop, wait a minute. I N-E-V-E-R said Sokol and Driskel do not quality as decent QB's. You're badly misquoting me. They were BOTH great QB's at LA Tech.

The initial question was about Holtz' on-going recruitment and development of great QB's at LA Tech. Sokol and Driskel were not Holtz recruits. And neither was Higgins. J'Mar Smith is. IMO, Jack Abraham was probably the best QB Holtz has recruited out of high school, but he never played a down at LA Tech. So Holtz gets and "F" for his "development" of that one. That's all. Don't start misquoting me or misunderstanding the issue that was being discussed.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    You're right, nothing about him is mediocre.

His record in bowl games is great!

His record in conference championship games is HORRIBLE
    His record against P5 teams is HORRIBLE
    His record against any team half decent is HORRIBLE
    His record in games where he trails after the first quarter is HORRIBLE

His overall record at Tech is, in fact, slightly above 0.500 so not technically mediocre.

You are entitled to your opinion. But it is a fact that Skip has underperformed, and the veil has been peeled back this season.
    Everybody knows Skip Holtz saves his best for the 3rd quarter. Oops......wait a minute...

Champ JDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant futureJDubyadawg has a brilliant future JDubyadawg's Avatar

13 straight years as a Head Coach, 18 years total as a Head Coach. A life that has never known anything but college football.
    Many of you have probably spent much more time with Skip but in my limited interaction with him since he came to Ruston I sense that while he still has a “passion” for doing his job well, I’m not sure he still has the “fire” to excel in it.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JDubyadawg View Post
    13 straight years as a Head Coach, 18 years total as a Head Coach. A life that has never known anything but college football.
    Many of you have probably spent much more time with Skip but in my limited interaction with him since he came to Ruston I sense that while he still has a “passion” for doing his job well, I’m not sure he still has the “fire” to excel in it.
    That's a really interesting observation. I've seen that in a corporate setting where someone has few further aspirations. It doesn't mean they're bad at their job, but it usually means they are slower to adapt or change.

Career advancement is a driver of excellence.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    But it is a fact that Skip has underperformed, and the veil has been peeled back this season.
    No, actually that's just another opinion.

An opinion supported by facts does not a fact make.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Some people, myself included, are motivated, driven, by the hunger for success. Take away that passion, and we're average at best. It's true.

Years ago when I was coaching youth soccer (U14) I was confronted by the parent of a player whose team we just beat. I was walking back toward the parking lot, minding my own business, when this person says to me, "It's just a kids' game. Don't take it so seriously." Madam, I replied, the day it doesn't matter to me is the day I will quit coaching. (apparently I was too animated coaching my team for her taste). I'm there now. The past two years I have turned down 2 offers, requests, to coach a select team. One of them involved a stipend, yes, payment! But, I know me better than anyone. Right now, and maybe forever, I have too little interest in coaching anything to do a good job. I told both thanks, but no thanks, you can find someone better.

Maybe Holtz is like some of us, he likes what he's doing, but is at that point that "good enough" is good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Maybe Holtz is like some of us, he likes what he's doing, but is at that point that "good enough" is good enough.
    Yep. Holtz knows he can win 6 or 7 games each season and still knock down about $1M bucks a year. It's very good work if you can find it. That kind of money goes a long way in Ruston, LA. And if he comes up with the occasional 9-win season, he's golden.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    Jerking a troll around is one thing. Changing a regular's post is another. I get trying to "stir the pot" but changing what a guy has written is over the top.

Trolls are like illegal aliens and playing with their posts comes under the heading of border enforcement. Quality regular posters are citizens and have the right to sacrosanct posts. Changing a regular's posts ought to require permission. It's an integrity thing.

My 2 cents.

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Some people, myself included, are motivated, driven, by the hunger for success. Take away that passion, and we're average at best. It's true.

Years ago when I was coaching youth soccer (U14) I was confronted by the parent of a player whose team we just beat. I was walking back toward the parking lot, minding my own business, when this person says to me, "It's just a kids' game. Don't take it so seriously." Madam, I replied, the day it doesn't matter to me is the day I will quit coaching. (apparently I was too animated coaching my team for her taste). I'm there now. The past two years I have turned down 2 offers, requests, to coach a select team. One of them involved a stipend, yes, payment! But, I know me better than anyone. Right now, and maybe forever, I have too little interest in coaching anything to do a good job. I told both thanks, but no thanks, you can find someone better.

I found it very hard to maintain the level of intensity that I had in my 30's and 40's once I hit 50. Priorities change for most of us with each stage of life we pass through, so I completely understand where Skip is. He's financially secure and he knows his shot at the big time is behind him. He's like a guy that's driving on the Interstate with the cruise control set on 70. He'll get where he's going soon enough and sees no need to take any unnecessary risks. Anyone that expects big things out of our football program during Skip's tenure is in for disappointment.

+ Reply to Thread