+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41

Thread: If Tech does not get a bowl bid, it is not the fans' fault

  1. #1
    Varsity Bulldog Brad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud ofBrad has much to be proud of
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    337

    If Tech does not get a bowl bid, it is not the fans' fault

    Don't blame the fans for not showing up this past Saturday if Tech does not go bowling. Blame falls on this coaching staff. The conservative play calling and unwillingness to make adjustments sent a loud and clear message that the current regime, at least for this year, was not willing to take a chance and gave the impression that it was satisfied with being "competitive." You can't expect people to spend their hard earned money and sacrifice their family time over a holiday weekend when the previous 11 weeks gave the perception that going to a bowl was not a priority.

    If Tech doesn't get a bowl invite, you can blame it on (pick one) the 17-16 lost to South Carolina, the 23-22 loss to UAB, the 34-27 loss to USM, or the 24-23 loss to UNT. Those losses were not due to the fans. Instead, Saturday's low attendance were a by-product of the results on the field.

    It is a shame that we have people celebrating being bowl eligible. With nearly 40 bowls this year, being bowl eligible is no big deal. This team should be no worse than 8-4.

    I have been a Tech fan since 1990. The snubs in 1997 and 1999 hurt because Tech did everything it could on the field and still got left out. The snub in 2012 was bad because our administration botched it. This will be the worst one, though, if we are left out because our desire to settle for field goals and satisfaction with sub-par play at certain key positions is what will come back to bite us in the butt. In other words, Tech could have settled it on the field and didn't do it. TECH UNDERACHIEVED: That is the bottom line.

    I have no desire to see heads roll this year, but unless some (philosophical and/or personnel) adjustments are made, Tech will be lucky to get six wins next year.

  2. #2
    Champ latech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Albany, NY
    Posts
    5,084

    Re: If Tech does not get a bowl bid, it is not the fans' fault

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Don't blame the fans for not showing up this past Saturday if Tech does not go bowling. Blame falls on this coaching staff. The conservative play calling and unwillingness to make adjustments sent a loud and clear message that the current regime, at least for this year, was not willing to take a chance and gave the impression that it was satisfied with being "competitive." You can't expect people to spend their hard earned money and sacrifice their family time over a holiday weekend when the previous 11 weeks gave the perception that going to a bowl was not a priority.

    If Tech doesn't get a bowl invite, you can blame it on (pick one) the 17-16 lost to South Carolina, the 23-22 loss to UAB, the 34-27 loss to USM, or the 24-23 loss to UNT. Those losses were not due to the fans. Instead, Saturday's low attendance were a by-product of the results on the field.

    It is a shame that we have people celebrating being bowl eligible. With nearly 40 bowls this year, being bowl eligible is no big deal. This team should be no worse than 8-4.

    I have been a Tech fan since 1990. The snubs in 1997 and 1999 hurt because Tech did everything it could on the field and still got left out. The snub in 2012 was bad because our administration botched it. This will be the worst one, though, if we are left out because our desire to settle for field goals and satisfaction with sub-par play at certain key positions is what will come back to bite us in the butt. In other words, Tech could have settled it on the field and didn't do it. TECH UNDERACHIEVED: That is the bottom line.

    I have no desire to see heads roll this year, but unless some (philosophical and/or personnel) adjustments are made, Tech will be lucky to get six wins next year.
    Amen!

  3. #3
    Big Dog Hermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the roughHermandawg is a jewel in the rough Hermandawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Bossier City, LA
    Posts
    520

    Re: If Tech does not get a bowl bid, it is not the fans' fault

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Don't blame the fans for not showing up this past Saturday if Tech does not go bowling. Blame falls on this coaching staff. The conservative play calling and unwillingness to make adjustments sent a loud and clear message that the current regime, at least for this year, was not willing to take a chance and gave the impression that it was satisfied with being "competitive." You can't expect people to spend their hard earned money and sacrifice their family time over a holiday weekend when the previous 11 weeks gave the perception that going to a bowl was not a priority.

    If Tech doesn't get a bowl invite, you can blame it on (pick one) the 17-16 lost to South Carolina, the 23-22 loss to UAB, the 34-27 loss to USM, or the 24-23 loss to UNT. Those losses were not due to the fans. Instead, Saturday's low attendance were a by-product of the results on the field.

    It is a shame that we have people celebrating being bowl eligible. With nearly 40 bowls this year, being bowl eligible is no big deal. This team should be no worse than 8-4.

    I have been a Tech fan since 1990. The snubs in 1997 and 1999 hurt because Tech did everything it could on the field and still got left out. The snub in 2012 was bad because our administration botched it. This will be the worst one, though, if we are left out because our desire to settle for field goals and satisfaction with sub-par play at certain key positions is what will come back to bite us in the butt. In other words, Tech could have settled it on the field and didn't do it. TECH UNDERACHIEVED: That is the bottom line.

    I have no desire to see heads roll this year, but unless some (philosophical and/or personnel) adjustments are made, Tech will be lucky to get six wins next year.
    Perfect summary of what was the most underachieving Tech football season in decades.

  4. #4
    Big Dog BruceWillisDawg is a splendid one to beholdBruceWillisDawg is a splendid one to beholdBruceWillisDawg is a splendid one to beholdBruceWillisDawg is a splendid one to beholdBruceWillisDawg is a splendid one to beholdBruceWillisDawg is a splendid one to beholdBruceWillisDawg is a splendid one to beholdBruceWillisDawg is a splendid one to beholdBruceWillisDawg is a splendid one to beholdBruceWillisDawg is a splendid one to beholdBruceWillisDawg is a splendid one to behold
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    802

    Re: If Tech does not get a bowl bid, it is not the fans' fault

    Even on good years attendance on the Saturday after thanksgiving has always been dreadful. Going to a bowl game is earned. Going 6-6 with a win against a FCS team makes bowl eligibility a joke. Yes I want our seniors to have the opportunity to go bowling but o wouldn’t be surprised if e got left out.

  5. #5
    Champ Built4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond repute Built4Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    2,411

    Re: If Tech does not get a bowl bid, it is not the fans' fault

    Quote Originally Posted by Hermandawg View Post
    Perfect summary of what was the most underachieving Tech football season in decades.
    We were 5 plays from 10-2, but 5 plays from 4-8 also. But you're right, this team underachieved. I place it squarely on the coaching staff, starting at the top.

  6. #6
    Champ garddawg is a glorious beacon of lightgarddawg is a glorious beacon of lightgarddawg is a glorious beacon of lightgarddawg is a glorious beacon of lightgarddawg is a glorious beacon of lightgarddawg is a glorious beacon of lightgarddawg is a glorious beacon of lightgarddawg is a glorious beacon of lightgarddawg is a glorious beacon of lightgarddawg is a glorious beacon of lightgarddawg is a glorious beacon of light
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    1,075

    Re: If Tech does not get a bowl bid, it is not the fans' fault

    It was just a bad year, half the teams had them. I had greater hopes but sometimes I have to step back and say 'OK, that was 1'. I believed at the beginning of the year that this was possible because of a truly new QB and loosing so many veterans that are now playing in the NFL. They did mentioned last week on TV that Tech is tied with Boise and one other G-5 as having the most (10) players drafted in the last 5 years. It's funny that I am bummed about 6-6 when I have a Purdue Co-worker that is really happy about his 6-6 team.

    I can be frustrated but I'm willing to allow the year and hope next year is better. I do think the bright spot this year was our defense and hope that we can keep that going.

  7. #7
    Administrator & 2006 Men's Progressive Bracket Champion Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Posts
    35,961

    Re: If Tech does not get a bowl bid, it is not the fans' fault

    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

  8. #8
    Varsity Bulldog collardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to beholdcollardgreens is a splendid one to behold collardgreens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    West Central Louisiana
    Posts
    370

    Re: If Tech does not get a bowl bid, it is not the fans' fault

    It's cumulative.

    Crowd would have been bigger had we hit the last game with eight or nine wins...and then there'd be no DEBATE by the bowl committees if we'd be a decent selection. A 6-6 team with no fans is NOT attractive to a bowl that wants to make some money....

  9. #9
    Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    45,568

    Re: If Tech does not get a bowl bid, it is not the fans' fault

    Quote Originally Posted by collardgreens View Post
    . A 6-6 team with no fans is NOT attractive to a bowl that wants to make some money....
    Where are you getting this from? Have you seen the crowds at other G5 teams last week? They may have all announced large numbers, but outside of Boise and some of the AAC teams, NOBODY has a good crowd on Thanksgiving weekend. We've only had one good crowd that weekend in the history of our program.
    "eye fo an eye and toof fo a toof" - Idiot in Missouri

  10. #10
    Champ Houston Techsan has a brilliant futureHouston Techsan has a brilliant futureHouston Techsan has a brilliant futureHouston Techsan has a brilliant futureHouston Techsan has a brilliant futureHouston Techsan has a brilliant futureHouston Techsan has a brilliant futureHouston Techsan has a brilliant futureHouston Techsan has a brilliant futureHouston Techsan has a brilliant futureHouston Techsan has a brilliant future
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    3,790

    Re: If Tech does not get a bowl bid, it is not the fans' fault

    Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    NOBODY has a good crowd on Thanksgiving weekend. We've only had one good crowd that weekend in the history of our program.
    I can't remember even one. I went to only one way back in 1968 that was actually Thanksgiving Night. A good game against NM State and we won but still a small crowd. What was the good crowd?

  11. #11
    Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    2,051

    Re: If Tech does not get a bowl bid, it is not the fans' fault

    Quote Originally Posted by collardgreens View Post
    It's cumulative.

    Crowd would have been bigger had we hit the last game with eight or nine wins...and then there'd be no DEBATE by the bowl committees if we'd be a decent selection. A 6-6 team with no fans is NOT attractive to a bowl that wants to make some money....
    Keep in mind, the Indy Bowl doesn't make the selection. CUSA will place the team.

    This came up on the board last week. Sean Fox, during his afternoon show in Ruston last Wednesday, spoke to a contact he has within the Indy Bowl office who made it clear to him that the conference office would select the team. As the SEC can't fill the spot, CUSA now has control of selection per the agreement they have with the bowl game. This isn't an "open" slot, which was the case in 2012. If what Fox was told was true, CUSA will place the team in the same way the SEC would place the team or the ACC will place their team.

    I would also urge everyone on this board to differentiate between information that will come out of the Indy Bowl office vs. what will come from Indy Bowl volunteers. It's very often not in agreement.

  12. #12
    Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Beautiful Lake Claiborne
    Posts
    18,207

    Re: If Tech does not get a bowl bid, it is not the fans' fault

    Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    Keep in mind, the Indy Bowl doesn't make the selection. CUSA will place the team.

    This came up on the board last week. Sean Fox, during his afternoon show in Ruston last Wednesday, spoke to a contact he has within the Indy Bowl office who made it clear to him that the conference office would select the team. As the SEC can't fill the spot, CUSA now has control of selection per the agreement they have with the bowl game. This isn't an "open" slot, which was the case in 2012. If what Fox was told was true, CUSA will place the team in the same way the SEC would place the team or the ACC will place their team.

    I would also urge everyone on this board to differentiate between information that will come out of the Indy Bowl office vs. what will come from Indy Bowl volunteers. It's very often not in agreement.
    If this is true they are keeping it quiet. We SHOULD be atop the list of the conference 6-6 teams, but who knows how they will decide who gets the bowls?
    Good old Memorial Gym

  13. #13
    Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    45,568

    Re: If Tech does not get a bowl bid, it is not the fans' fault

    Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    I can't remember even one. I went to only one way back in 1968 that was actually Thanksgiving Night. A good game against NM State and we won but still a small crowd. What was the good crowd?
    November 17, 2012 vs. Utah State was actually the weekend before Thanksgiving, but school had let out that week (finals). As you know the quarter system almost, if not always, gives us two weekends w/out students in session.
    "eye fo an eye and toof fo a toof" - Idiot in Missouri

  14. #14
    Big Dog Saint Greg has a brilliant futureSaint Greg has a brilliant futureSaint Greg has a brilliant futureSaint Greg has a brilliant futureSaint Greg has a brilliant futureSaint Greg has a brilliant futureSaint Greg has a brilliant futureSaint Greg has a brilliant futureSaint Greg has a brilliant futureSaint Greg has a brilliant futureSaint Greg has a brilliant future
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    787

    Re: If Tech does not get a bowl bid, it is not the fans' fault

    Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    If this is true they are keeping it quiet. We SHOULD be atop the list of the conference 6-6 teams, but who knows how they will decide who gets the bowls?
    If CUSA gets to make the pick the first thing they should do is put Tech in the Indy Bowl. Similar to the UNT situation last year. At 5-7 UNT should've been shipped to Hawaii...but they got to play in Dallas because it was close to home.

  15. #15
    Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute LATechBanjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    South LA
    Posts
    3,320

    Re: If Tech does not get a bowl bid, it is not the fans' fault

    Quote Originally Posted by collardgreens View Post
    It's cumulative.

    Crowd would have been bigger had we hit the last game with eight or nine wins...and then there'd be no DEBATE by the bowl committees if we'd be a decent selection. A 6-6 team with no fans is NOT attractive to a bowl that wants to make some money....
    There'd be no debate if we had 7 wins....

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts