+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Coaching Carousel

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    There were plenty of issues with Holtz Year 1, but he was beyond gracious when talking about the situation he was left with in public (as far as I ever saw). All those jucos Holtz signed that year, he acted like it was just about replacing graduating seniors and not like Dykes had been slacking on recruiting ahead of leaving.

That said, I think Dykes can win at SMU. I think either Sonny currently in Fort Worth would be a good fit for the ponies. Shame that whoever it is will have to rebuild morale after the stomping I hope we put on them in the bowl.
    Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    The "we lost xxx seniors" propaganda isn't what I mean Holtz is/was keeping quiet about.

Our scholarship totals were skewed until 2016. We never had a full 85 and a full class due to what happened with Dykes/Franklin until last year.

Our football APR is just now recovering with 2012-13 finally dropping off. One more year of 2013-14.
    Again, that's about the exit strategy...not about the JUCOs. If you recruit only HS kids and you quit, you'll be in a bad spot the following year.

I'm not advocating one thing or another and I'm certainly not complaining about Skip. I'm just saying that the issue with Sonny was that he quit, not that he was recruiting JUCOs. We'll find out soon whether or not Holtz has as good an eye for talent as Sonny had.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Again, that's about the exit strategy...not about the JUCOs. If you recruit only HS kids and you quit, you'll be in a bad spot the following year.
    Yes it was about the Jucos. So much so that Holtz had to fill in with them in 2013. Jucos to fill gaps are fine. Dykes used them to build a team.

We had 24 jucos in 2012, 22 in 2013, 18 in 2014, and were down to less than 10 last year.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Yes it was about the Jucos.
    I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I guess we'll find out soon enough.
    As I said in my first reply, SMU won't allow him to recruit jucos. Neither did Cal.

As I said in my first reply, SMU won't allow him to recruit jucos. Neither did Cal.
    And as I said, I guess we'll find out soon enough. Morris signed a few JUCOs. At the same pace Sonny did here? No, but again, that's the difference between a 3 year exit plan and a long term stay.

I think he'll do fine.

4 lean juco years at Cal = 19-30

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

The "we lost xxx seniors" propaganda isn't what I mean Holtz is/was keeping quiet about.

Our scholarship totals were skewed until 2016. We never had a full 85 and a full class due to what happened with Dykes/Franklin until last year.

Our football APR is just now recovering with 2012-13 finally dropping off. One more year of 2013-14.

Yep, Skip has us rolling now.

23-27 the 4 years prior to his arrival. He went 1-11 his first year (without a full recruiting season). There are a lot of variables. What's your guess on his record the first 3 years at SMU?

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

In fairness to Sonny it was more than just Jucos. The admissions department cut his prospect list each year by more than half, and he was unable to bring in graduate transfers in any way that would make a difference. The same thing happened to Jim Mora at UCLA. Both schools are part of the UC system.

Mora complained much more about the situation than Dykes, who simply put his head down after the 2015 season and started looking for other jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Historian View Post
    In fairness to Sonny it was more than just Jucos. The admissions department cut his prospect list each year by more than half, and he was unable to bring in graduate transfers in any way that would make a difference. The same thing happened to Jim Mora at UCLA. Both schools are part of the UC system.

Mora complained much more about the situation than Dykes, who simply put his head down after the 2015 season and started looking for other jobs.
    Yes, I heard.

It still does not change the point that he has not been successful w/out Jucos...or Tony Franklin.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

And as I said, I guess we'll find out soon enough. Morris signed a few JUCOs. At the same pace Sonny did here? No, but again, that's the difference between a 3 year exit plan and a long term stay.

I think he'll do fine.
    Many forget that SMU relaxed its admission standards to a degree during June Jones' tenure. When Jones could not get a prospect admitted to SMU and that same prospect went on to play for USC, he bitterly complained. That eventually led to a more relaxed standard at SMU. Jones led the Mustangs to 4 consecutive bowl games.

There are still some restrictions, but if Dykes is the next coach at SMU he won't be facing anything like he faced at Cal in that regard.

Big Dog counselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of light

Skip to SMU

Just heard from very reliable source

Re: Skip to SMU

Quote Originally Posted by counselingdawg View Post
    Just heard from very reliable source
    Not too reliable I think. They just hired Sonny Dykes.

Big Dog counselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of lightcounselingdawg is a glorious beacon of light

Re: Skip to SMU

I agree with you. My source has backed off. Sorry

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

SMU:[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)] Sources tell FootballScoop Sonny Dykes will be named head coach. [/COLOR]Our read on the move, including who was first offered the position[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.8)].[/COLOR]

+ Reply to Thread