We all knew that first year that we missed the tournament meant that it was going to be VERY tough to keep up. Actually, the first Sweet 16 loss was the beginning of the slide. It is still possible for programs like the Lady Techsters to regain prominence, but it takes recruiting at least 2 top players. That is tough to do after you slide down to where we were. We stayed at the top because we kept winning and gave the top players a huge audience and national exposure. Once that was gone, the big money schools took over.

I think Brooke is one of the best coaches out there, especially for Tech. If anyone can get the most out of our players, it is her. If she can pull off some big time wins, we can recruit again at a high level. It has less to do with money than with getting those few special players that want to help rebuild something special with us. Even the money schools can have this problem. University of Texas sure experienced it. They just finally got a coach and a few players to start rebuilding it. They are hot this year and will vie for the National Championship. Schools like Tech, ODU, and some others slipped and it is much harder for us to get up. UConn has yet to slip, but if they do, they will be in the same shape. They are in the American Conference now and that will make it much tougher. They can keep it going, if they keep Geno (as much as i don't like him), but once they slip for a couple of years, it will be a big problem. Even Tennessee slipped, but just not as much as we did. Money won't get you players. Crowds, national exposure, and knowing they will win gets you that.

First step - start winning conference championships again, next get back to the tournament, then win a few games in the tournament. THAT is what it will take. If Brooke can accomplish that with the talent we can bring in now, we can rise. I am not delusional. It would be a miracle to get back to final fours and national championships again, but we can be a power again. It will take a lot of time and effort to get there. We still have something to sell (just not what we used to have) and if anyone in the world could do it, it is Brooke.