+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Last Big Win?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Last Big Win?

Quote Originally Posted by NTXDawg View Post
    I feel like last years Armed forces bowl win over Top 25 Navy was pretty big. Sure their starting QB was out(nobody really knows that) but it was a great game that some national attention due its back and forth nature.
    CBS agrees with you.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...worst-to-best/

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    The one that knocked us out of the Top25? I don't follow.
    But, we all know that the number next to a team's name really doesn't mean anything, right?

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Not strictly on topic, but we finished as number 34 in the Sagarin rankings after our HOD Bowl win over Illinois in 2014. That was much better than our finish of 51 in 2012. We finished as 59 last year. We were 48 in 2011 and 68 in 2015. If we could throw out 2013 (166) our Sagarin rankings have been very respectable. (Well, until this year ... 101 currently).
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    #24 Navy's ranking is disputed
    Illinois is a perennial bottom dweller
    Arkansas St, no comment

Let's grant the bowl wins are good. Program-changers? Debatable.

All of them came after momentum killing late-season collapses. There's no such thing as a division title, unless you're into participation trophies.

Yes I have been negative recently. I want to see Tech excel. We are not excelling. All the talent and wins over the last few years have translated into, what, exactly? Spending money on stadium upgrades?
    Taken on their own, in a vacuum, the bowl wins were good W's. But, you are correct insomuch instead of being the icing on the cake of a great season, they really served more to salvage an otherwise disappointing ending of the season. Hadn't thought of it that way before....thanks for ruining my previous enthusiasm for our bowl run

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    But, we all know that the number next to a team's name really doesn't mean anything, right?
    You won't let this go. Using your reasoning skills on this one they were still in the top 25 AFTER we beat them. You can't seem to grasp the fact that they lost to Army AFTER the final CFB ranking. They were not in the AP or Coaches top 25 before the loss to Army. The CFB ranking is not a measuring stick it is simply a poll to place the top 4 teams and the best G5.

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    You won't let this go. Using your reasoning skills on this one they were still in the top 25 AFTER we beat them. You can't seem to grasp the fact that they lost to Army AFTER the final CFB ranking. They were not in the AP or Coaches top 25 before the loss to Army. The CFB ranking is not a measuring stick it is simply a poll to place the top 4 teams and the best G5.
    I'm just yanking ya chain. You should know me by now...if you don't stir it up, you'll have to wallow in it!

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

I feel like last years Armed forces bowl win over Top 25 Navy was pretty big. Sure their starting QB was out(nobody really knows that) but it was a great game that some national attention due its back and forth nature.
    Bleacher called it best bowl game of season--ESPN called it fabulous game -- yeah, think they were using their third string QB toward end of game but they scored everytime .

CBS sports poster " the good times continue to roll for Skip Holtz and La Tech football"-- don't tell that to posters who think we suck.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Alabama 1999. If it ain't LSU or Alabama it ain't big. Mississippi State, Mississippi, Oklahoma State, Michigan State, California, Baylor, Meh.
    I wouldn't even count the Kansas State and Kansas games back in the 80s. Virginia and Illinois right up there with those last two.

I want to see us beat TAMU and LSU. Do that before I die.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Alabama 1999. If it ain't LSU or Alabama it ain't big. Mississippi State, Mississippi, Oklahoma State, Michigan State, California, Baylor, Meh.
    I wouldn't even count the Kansas State and Kansas games back in the 80s. Virginia and Illinois right up there with those last two.

Surely you jest.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Signing Skip Holtz to an epic extension

Champ Ktulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond reputeKtulu7 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes sir! This would be bigger than the Saints winning the Super Bowl for me. I pretty much live for us beating LSU's ass in anything and everything. Whipping them in football would get me probably kicked out of my family for a while because of how much smack I would talk for a LONG time. I put up with SO much nonsense from those fans... o-m-g... Yeah this needs to happen again soon, and I need to be there for it, in person. No program gets my blood boiling like theirs.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

It was a great football game

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Taken on their own, in a vacuum, the bowl wins were good W's. But, you are correct insomuch instead of being the icing on the cake of a great season, they really served more to salvage an otherwise disappointing ending of the season. Hadn't thought of it that way before....thanks for ruining my previous enthusiasm for our bowl run
    Man I'm just bringing everyone down these days

Navy lost their last 3 games in a row that year. They always overrate service academies, beating a school that doesn't offer scholarships is not a big win. There coaches that have gotten their teams to bowls and have gotten fired.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. How much mileage did we get out of those 2 Bama games? How much mileage did App State get when they beat Michigan? How long is the potential benefit for Troy beating lsu this year? Wins over Oklahoma, TAMU(when they are up as a program), Auburn, lsu, or other school could be program changing wins. A win over just about everyone else doesn’t move the meter unless it is part of a string of 10 or 11 win seasons.

+ Reply to Thread