+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: Frisco Bowl: Louisiana Tech vs SMU (12/20)

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Re: Frisco Bowl: Louisiana Tech vs SMU (12/20)

You can rewatch the game in ESPN3. SMU's qb Ben Hicks looked horrible (like a pile of hot doodoo). Play calling wasn't his problem. Dude looked scared and didn't know what to do when he felt pressure from our D.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Replay via Youtube

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Skip Holtz View Post
    Go 6-6 every year and win the bowl game and everything is ok? Winning a bowl game erases all of the bad loses? I don't know what good this bowl win does Tech, unless it gets Holtz hired away. 6-6 and a bowl win every year, screw that. Now I can just looking forward to losing to USM 4 years in a row.
    IDIOT. Tech hasn't been 6-6 every year, which is only one thing incorrect in your moronic post -- among many of your moronic posts.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I think this 2017 team was MUCH BETTER than their record indicated. Thus, I'm not too worried about next year's schedule. Besides, I have a plan. I figure we can simply rename every game on our schedule next season with a "bowl game name", and Holtz will probably coach us 100 times better than he would otherwise.

To save everybody time, I'm going to go ahead and re-assign the new bowl names now:

LA Tech vs LSU will be renamed "The Louisiana Bowl". Or my personal fav, the "Creole Bowl".
    S Alabama - The Mobile Bay Bowl. Or the Gulf States Bowl.
    Southern University - The Crawfish Bowl. Or maybe the Boudin Bowl.
    Mississippi State - The Bulldog Bowl (of course)
    Rice - The Rice Bowl (That was too easy)
    USM - The Redneck Bowl
    UNT - The Lone Star Bowl
    UTEP - The Rio Grande Bowl
    UTSA - The Asshole Bowl. Okay, okay...that wasn't nice of me. How about the "San Antonio Riverwalk Bowl".

I don't know who we will play in our two CUSA "crossover" games, but we will have to re-assign those games bowl names as well. This is the only way LA Tech fans can be guaranteed to get the absolute best performance out of Skip Holtz. And knowing how well Skip coaches his bowl games, this could potentially lead us to a 12-0 season.
    I like your plan

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

I enjoyed hearing them talk about how explosive the SMU offense was, and how Hicks would not force anything- the game made liars of then for sure.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I think this 2017 team was MUCH BETTER than their record indicated. Thus, I'm not too worried about next year's schedule. Besides, I have a plan. I figure we can simply rename every game on our schedule next season with a "bowl game name", and Holtz will probably coach us 100 times better than he would otherwise.

To save everybody time, I'm going to go ahead and re-assign the new bowl names now:

LA Tech vs LSU will be renamed "The Louisiana Bowl". Or my personal fav, the "Creole Bowl".
    S Alabama - The Mobile Bay Bowl. Or the Gulf States Bowl.
    Southern University - The Crawfish Bowl. Or maybe the Boudin Bowl.
    Mississippi State - The Bulldog Bowl (of course)
    Rice - The Rice Bowl (That was too easy)
    USM - The Redneck Bowl
    UNT - The Lone Star Bowl
    UTEP - The Rio Grande Bowl
    UTSA - The Asshole Bowl. Okay, okay...that wasn't nice of me. How about the "San Antonio Riverwalk Bowl".

I don't know who we will play in our two CUSA "crossover" games, but we will have to re-assign those games bowl names as well. This is the only way LA Tech fans can be guaranteed to get the absolute best performance out of Skip Holtz. And knowing how well Skip coaches his bowl games, this could potentially lead us to a 12-0 season.
    THIS is the answer!!!!!!!!!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    WAC
    That is right! Thanks for the correction... It was our inaugural WAC game....

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Watching the replay of the game....hey! we kicked butt again, but I get a little miffed with the TV guy saying "in front of the home town crowd here for SMU." We out-numbered the SMU fans. BTW, what was the official attendance?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    The lady who checked us in at our hotel gave us back way to get to the stadium with no traffic. We parked at a restaurant for free and walked to the stadium
    Great!

The parking wasn't really a problem, only $20, and it was fairly well handled. But the traffic....whoa! Of course it was rush hour in Dallas. BTW, why do we call it "rush" hour? No one is "rushing" anywhere. Should be called "motionless" hour.

None of that matters....only 51-10 does and FOUR straight bowl wins! I plan to make it five in a row next year. My wife is hoping Tech plays where UAB is today. She'd love a beach vacation in December.

My take from the Frisco bowl.

Pros
    - friendly staff and police
    - the gate lines went quick even with metal detectors
    - the indoor concession stand and bar were nice
    - every seat was a chairback
    - spacious concourse
    - we bought a $9 nachos (meat, cheese, sour cream) but they were twice the size of a standard boat of nachos
    - Beers were like 9 bucks. I had a double shot drink for $20. I saw many Tech fans splurging on adult beverages. All had a good time, no out of control patrons that I witness.
    - The sound guy, he did a good job to stop/fade out the piped music to let either band play. It was a nice mix of PA music and band.
    - Band of Pride sounded great. I was impressed by the loud brassy sound especially at halftime. They are growing and getting better.
    - It was an overall fun bowl experience. Frisco should be proud. The attendance is comprised by mostly fans of participating schools, I think they will grow and get more locals to attend.

Cons
    - the PA announcer was bad, I didn't like his voice nor his delivery
    - lights were too bright, it seems they aimed the lights to light up the field and the opposite stands. If you look up just a little, it's blinding.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    - lights were too bright, it seems they aimed the lights to light up the field and the opposite stands. If you look up just a little, it's blinding.
    You might draw Dawgpix out of his slumber with this comment.

Big Dog dawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud of dawg1984's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I like Toyota Stadium, has tons of great features. It was 90%+ full....until the 2nd qtr. Overall, I really enjoyed the experience. Not the traffic getting to the game, but the experience afterwards.

EXCEPT the PA guy. OMG! Awful! Never thought I'd post this but he actually succeeded in making Nancy Bergeron sound good. Well...not good, just not as annoying. That guy reminds me of the yellow-shirted punk in the movie Polar Express.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCmrWst2boQ
    My wife and I laughed at the PA guy throughout the game. So many gaffes. For example, Tech had a penalty on first down. The next play, they gained back the penalty yardage plus 1 yard. The PA guys said Tech's pass was complete for a 1-yard gain. My favorite comment though was when Tech got a 1st down near mid-field. The PA couldn't figure out the yard line and says something like "First down Tech on the...the... in its own territory." I kept thinking of the "announcers" from so many cheesy sports movies with the faux excited tone.

Champ bleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to behold bleudog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    My take from the Frisco bowl.

Pros
    - friendly staff and police
    - the gate lines went quick even with metal detectors
    - the indoor concession stand and bar were nice
    - every seat was a chairback
    - spacious concourse
    - we bought a $9 nachos (meat, cheese, sour cream) but they were twice the size of a standard boat of nachos
    - Beers were like 9 bucks. I had a double shot drink for $20. I saw many Tech fans splurging on adult beverages. All had a good time, no out of control patrons that I witness.
    - The sound guy, he did a good job to stop/fade out the piped music to let either band play. It was a nice mix of PA music and band.
    - Band of Pride sounded great. I was impressed by the loud brassy sound especially at halftime. They are growing and getting better.
    - It was an overall fun bowl experience. Frisco should be proud. The attendance is comprised by mostly fans of participating schools, I think they will grow and get more locals to attend.

Cons
    - the PA announcer was bad, I didn't like his voice nor his delivery
    I was expecting some kind of fanfest area outside the stadium, but all they had were a few vendor places inside the stadium on the north endzone concourse. What the folks did at Fort Worth was an easy way to kill time before the game.

I didn't notice a problem with the lighting and overall thoroughly enjoyed the experience. (the PA guy was lost though)

I would also recommend the alumni charter bus if the option is available in the future.

Yes, the Armed Forces Bowl had a whole lot more to offer, overall. But I think the folks who run the Frisco Bowl will get better with a little experience.

Now...fanfest, you say? The New Orleans Bowl absolutely kicked azz! Of course, it is the Big Easy, where partying is as natural as breathing, but the NO Bowl did it up right! Not even close!

Quote Originally Posted by bleudog View Post
    I was expecting some kind of fanfest area outside the stadium, but all they had were a few vendor places inside the stadium on the north endzone concourse. What the folks did at Fort Worth was an easy way to kill time before the game.

I didn't notice a problem with the lighting and overall thoroughly enjoyed the experience. (the PA guy was lost though)

I would also recommend the alumni charter bus if the option is available in the future.
    The lights are set lower and closer than ours and they had two large banks of lights on each side. They were very concentrated and bright. Most stadiums I've been to they are placed higher than Toyota Stadium. Overall, it's a great venue.

+ Reply to Thread