+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Where are our "net neutrality" gurus...

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Where are our "net neutrality" gurus...

...and what say yee about this latest news?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Where are our "net neutrality" gurus...

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

I am an "internet only" customer from a cable provider. What I worry they will do is lock down things for the "internet only" tier and make the price for "unthrottled" internet high enough cost to give me the incentive to buy 5000 channels and cancel Sling. I will get offline if that happens and go to the library if NEED to get online. I gave up football for a year once to prove to myself that I could do it so compared to that, giving up internet will be a breeze. My kids might lose it though ...

Some parts of the country will solve this problem, especially for low-income families, by raising taxes and making "wide open" internet a thing like water, sewer etc. That comes with all the headaches utilities give us now but, honestly, my water company has terrible customer service ... about in line with my internet service provider. This is an outcome I wouldn't fight.

If they do what I worry they will do a Totally Free Internet service provider is on the horizon somewhere. SOMEBODY (maybe even Google or Sling/Sony/Netflix/Amazon etc. who have the resources) will fill that gap. Their incentives to keep the internet wide open are just as big as the telecom providers incentives to do have us roll back life to when they were relevant.

That said, I don't think they will do much ...

Either way, people will adapt and the cable/satellite companies that refuse to adapt will still lose this battle, "net neutral" or not.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on who you choose to believe. Some Internet content providers (like CNN) are declaring it the end of the world as we know it, while most Internet SERVICE providers believe less regulation of the ISP will allow them to provide enhanced and better delivery service, thus making your Internet experience better. The downside of it may be that some CONTENT providers will have to invest in their services as well, which some may be hesitant to do...as there will be a cost associated with the enhancements.

There may be some content price increases, or certain ISPs may opt to NOT allow certain traffic over their network, if they don't meet minimum criteria (whatever those may be).

On the flipside...a lot of complaints that we average Internet users think are attributable to a "crappy" ISP...are really complaints about sucky content providers. This should improve...and both sides should elevate their game.

+ Reply to Thread