+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Football. 2016 Armed Forces Bowl: LA Tech 45, Navy 42 - latechsports.com

I'm just a bot - I can't respond to your posts News_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the roughNews_Bot is a jewel in the rough News_Bot's Avatar

Football. 2016 Armed Forces Bowl: LA Tech 45, Navy 42 - latechsports.com

A new article has been posted on www.latechsports.com:

Jonathan Barnes' 32-yard field goal as time expired to give Louisiana Tech the storybook ending it deserved and clinched the Bulldogs' third consecutive bowl championship over No. 25 Navy Friday in the Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl at Amon G. Carter Stadium in Fort Worth, Texas.

More...

Discuss it here.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Re: Football. 2016 Armed Forces Bowl: LA Tech 45, Navy 42 - latechsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by News_Bot View Post
    A new article has been posted on www.latechsports.com:

Jonathan Barnes' 32-yard field goal as time expired to give Louisiana Tech the storybook ending it deserved and clinched the Bulldogs' third consecutive bowl championship over No. 25 Navy Friday in the Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl at Amon G. Carter Stadium in Fort Worth, Texas.

More...

Discuss it here.
    So much going wrong with that sentence. We beat Navy 3 times in a row in a bowl game? Navy was #25. Not in AP or Coaches. The CFP rankings were done PRIOR to their loss to Army. Should not be USED EVER!

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    So much going wrong with that sentence. We beat Navy 3 times in a row in a bowl game? Navy was #25. Not in AP or Coaches. The CFP rankings were done PRIOR to their loss to Army. Should not be USED EVER!
    I'm just happy they're presenting Tech in the best possible light, even if it bends the truth. Usually its the other way around.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    I'm just happy they're presenting Tech in the best possible light, even if it bends the truth. Usually its the other way around.
    Yeah. The sentence is poorly structured, but I have no problem touting a win over #25 Navy. I actually like it. That's the ranking ESPN was using during the game. I don't understand why some are getting so bent out of shape about it. At least Tech doesn't keep saying "first victory over Top 25 team since..."

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    At least Tech doesn't keep saying "first victory over Top 25 team since..."
    That's exactly what our people did in claiming Navy as #25. For some reason they want to enhance everything our current programs do to put them in a realm above all former programs. Touting Navy as #25 was embarrassing and something only Monroe or Lafayette would do.

Big Dog tech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to alltech70 is a name known to all

Lafayette will be upset that you did not use their new name ULOL.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    That's exactly what our people did in claiming Navy as #25. For some reason they want to enhance everything our current programs do to put them in a realm above all former programs. Touting Navy as #25 was embarrassing and something only Monroe or Lafayette would do.
    I don’t see it that way. Saying #25 Navy isn’t a comparison. It’s all the “first ever” and “first since” unfair (and sometimes inaccurate) comparisons that insult our history that drive me nuts.

Big Dog dawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud of dawg1984's Avatar

I don't think saying Navy was #25 is any worse than the crap the main stream sports media does for their chosen programs. They are very good at pointing out their favored programs beat "future #??" or "former #??" teams. A lot of the "justification" that OSU should be in CFP over Alabama implies #5 Ohio State lost to #2 Oklahoma. They conveniently forget the rankings were reversed (#2 OSU vs #5 Oklahoma) when they played. Conversely, the media also fails to mention Florida State is barely bowl eligible. But you'll hear how the season started with #3 FSU and #1 Alabama squaring off in what might lead to a CFP rematch.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    I don’t see it that way. Saying #25 Navy isn’t a comparison. It’s all the “first ever” and “first since” unfair (and sometimes inaccurate) comparisons that insult our history that drive me nuts.
    Saying Navy was #25 (ESPN and EllAye Tech)was an insult to anybody with an average football IQ. Low IQs eat that kind of stuff up. Average to high IQs are like, "Wow, Navy lost their last game as the #25 team to unranked Army and they STILL expect us to believe that BS!"

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg1984 View Post
    I don't think saying Navy was #25 is any worse than the crap the main stream sports media does for their chosen programs. They are very good at pointing out their favored programs beat "future #??" or "former #??" teams. A lot of the "justification" that OSU should be in CFP over Alabama implies #5 Ohio State lost to #2 Oklahoma. They conveniently forget the rankings were reversed (#2 OSU vs #5 Oklahoma) when they played. Conversely, the media also fails to mention Florida State is barely bowl eligible. But you'll hear how the season started with #3 FSU and #1 Alabama squaring off in what might lead to a CFP rematch.
    That's MY point. Sure, they weren't #25, but its the same bullcrap everyone else pulls.

What's different is we go out of our way to denigrate pre-1988 Tech history. "First time we've played in 4 straight bowls!" Wrong. It's especially atrocious in baseball. I dont think TMac knows we had a team before the 90s.

Big Dog dawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud ofdawg1984 has much to be proud of dawg1984's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    That's MY point. Sure, they weren't #25, but its the same bullcrap everyone else pulls.

What's different is we go out of our way to denigrate pre-1988 Tech history. "First time we've played in 4 straight bowls!" Wrong. It's especially atrocious in baseball. I dont think TMac knows we had a team before the 90s.
    No argument here. Our Athletic Dept does need to present and promote the great history or Tech athletics instead of like we're a program that just stepped up from FCS a couple of years ago.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

I have no problem with representing Navy as #25 as they were still technically ranked and it counts as a win over a top 25 team for us. They certainly shouldn't have been ranked, but nothing wrong with using something that was technically correct to our advantage. It's the things that aren't technically correct that tick me off. This time it was a unique set of circumstances that worked out in our favor.

Quote Originally Posted by detltu View Post
    I have no problem with representing Navy as #25 as they were still technically ranked and it counts as a win over a top 25 team for us. They certainly shouldn't have been ranked, but nothing wrong with using something that was technically correct to our advantage. It's the things that aren't technically correct that tick me off. This time it was a unique set of circumstances that worked out in our favor.
    The ranking is for one purpose and that was to place the top 4 teams and the best G5 in the access bowl. It is otherwise meaningless unless your are ESPN or EllAye Tech trying to be a snake oil salesman.

Champ detltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond reputedetltu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by PawDawg View Post
    The ranking is for one purpose and that was to place the top 4 teams and the best G5 in the access bowl. It is otherwise meaningless unless your are ESPN or EllAye Tech trying to be a snake oil salesman.
    So what exactly is the purpose of the other rankings? No the AP and coaches poll are above reproach and deserve to be exalted as the only true metric of top 25 ness. Come on man. It's not like this is some made up ranking. You said it yourself, it's also used to determine the access bowl. Hence why it is a top 25 ranking and not a top 4 ranking. If the top ranked G5 conference champion is ranked #25 guess what. They go to the access bowl.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

It was fun to watch our team beat a top 25 team.

+ Reply to Thread